Author Topic: Darwin award nominee  (Read 13302 times)

Offline Conrad

Darwin award nominee
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
Give this man first place! I hope that he didn't have any kids...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack/index.html

(CNN)—A man who apparently mocked alligators, then jumped in the water -- despite warning signs -- is dead after being attacked in Texas.

Orange County Police were called to Burkart's Marina near the Louisiana state line early Friday morning after reports that Tommie Woodward, 28, and an unidentified woman were swimming in a bayou and had been attacked by a large alligator.

Woodward's body was found several hours later. The woman was not injured.

Orange County Justice of the Peace Rodney Price told CNN affiliate KFDM that Woodward ignored verbal warnings and a posted "No Swimming Alligators" sign and seemed to mock the deadly creatures before going in the water.

"He removed his shirt, removed his billfold ... someone shouted a warning and he said 'blank the alligators' and jumped in to the water and almost immediately yelled for help," Price said.

The "No Swimming Alligators" sign was posted this week after a 10-foot alligator was spotted in the bayou waters.

Witness heard 'An alligator's got him'

"Please do not go swimming, there's a bigger alligator out here. Just please stay out of the water," witness and marina employee Michelle Wright said she told Woodward.

She said the next thing she heard was the woman screaming, "An alligator's got him." Wright said she used a flashlight in the darkness to scan the water.

In an emotional interview with KFDM, Wright said, "I saw his body floating face down. And then he's out there for a couple of seconds and then he's dragged back down. And then he comes back up still face down and then he gets pulled down again. And then he just disappears."

Wright, who said she knew the victim and his family, said it was a moment she would never forget. She described the events that started out as a late night swim as "heartbreaking."

Woodward had recently moved to the area from St. Louis with his twin brother and was working at a nearby shipyard.

'If the sun is down, stay out of the water'

Alligators are predatory and territorial. According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, the creature "will eat anything it can catch," and should be treated with caution.

"If the sun is down, stay out the water. That's when they're eating. That's when they're hunting," alligator expert Arlie Hammonds told the affiliate.

Although there have been numerous fatal alligator attacks in Florida, the Orange County attack may be the first of its kind in Texas.

I wonder if alcohol was involved?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Darwin award nominee
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
No sympathy wasted here.  ::)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
"I wonder if alcohol was involved?"
Something obviously killed off the brain cells, and it took more than a few generous doses, I'm sure.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:21:09 AM »
Quote: "I wonder if alcohol was involved?"    :o

Probably not, I don't think 'gators drink. ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:05:07 AM »
When I was in my teens we knowingly swam in a pond that had gators in it... Mind you there was much alcohol involved the night before and part of the novel was to jump in the pond in the morning and retrieve a beer that would have been thrown into the pond. Never had any trouble but we would have never so much as thought about swimming there at night and we knew that the pond did not have any large gators or at least nothing over 4 to 5 foot. At that size they are still rather timid and will avoid human contact as much as able....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
Quote: "I wonder if alcohol was involved?"    :o

Probably not, I don't think 'gators drink. ;)

They don't? Who's drinking all that Busch beer then?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
He won't do that again  :-[ :-[  Steve

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:27 PM »
And heeeeeere's another one.................

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=ma

F'ing genius.

As the story says....

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
And heeeeeere's another one.................

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=ma

F'ing genius.

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea," McCausland said. "His friends they thought dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly."

Staples's brother Cody told the Daily News of New York that he was a few feet away when his brother lit the firework and was the first to come to his side after it exploded.

"There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there," said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.

"Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh," he said.

Between this 'smart guy" (according to his father's statement) and the guy swimming with the 'gators in the dark, it'll be a close race for first place.

More idiots.

In Montana on Saturday, a 32-year-old man was killed at a Billings home in a fireworks accident involving a mortar tube.

And in New Jersey, a 52-year-old man blew off a large piece of his left leg below the knee when he set off a tennis-ball sized firework in Leonia.

You don't see kids putting fireworks on their heads and lighting them. Kids know better.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
... You don't see kids putting fireworks on their heads and lighting them. Kids know better.

Yeah we had the smarts to call it quits at Black Cats, Penny Rockets and Roman Candles.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 07:52:52 AM »
Yeah we had the smarts to call it quits at Black Cats, Penny Rockets and Roman Candles.....

I made my own fireworks when I was a kid, kinda.

I'd cut my dad's shotgun shells apart and get the gunpowder out. I filled glass cigar tubes with the powder and used the fuses from firecrackers. I never got hurt but I can't say the same for our neighbor's mailbox.  :-[

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
Hold my beer....
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
Hold my beer....

That's the most commonly heard phrase in the moments preceding a call for an ambulance.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
That's the most commonly heard phrase in the moments preceding a call for an ambulance.
That and..."Hey, watch this!"
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »
He probably said there weren't any gators in the water and since he was from MO (not far from me) his friends said, "Show Me".
The gator has been shot, albeit illegally. Parts of the guy were found in the gator.

"Left arm gone clean up to the elbow".
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Was his name Amos Moses?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
And did he live in the Bayou?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
 Now if more of the dimwits would do this on a more regular basis, perhaps the gene pool would slowly start to improve again.

You know thin the herd and all, dump the stupid- by whatever means necessary.

Why should people with brain matter and a decent job have to pay for those who don't?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Now if more of the dimwits would do this on a more regular basis, perhaps the gene pool would slowly start to improve again.

You know thin the herd and all, dump the stupid- by whatever means necessary.

Why should people with brain matter and a decent job have to pay for those who don't?
...because we elect them to public office...