Author Topic: What not to do when riding The Dragon - Corvette Killer  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Conrad

What not to do when riding The Dragon - Corvette Killer
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What not to do when riding The Dragon - Corvette Killer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
And that's why I stay away from it...that poor Corvette.  Too many fn idiots riding it. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »
It was a friendly wave though.  Should make a great screensaver.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
The guy totally gives up on trying to negotiate the curve! It doesn't even look like he scraped any hard parts. Just look how late the brake lights come on.

"Oh well, can't lean the bike over might as well take the Corvette out with me"

Yeehaaa!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
Got to look where you want to go.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
Looks like pretty good evidence of careless and distracted driving.
And I wonder if the photog can be implicated as creating a distraction?
Looks like the bike was knocked out from under the rider.
That boy needs some rider education. And a doctor. And a lawyer.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 11:06:16 PM »
Too bad, that was a nice looking 'Vette. 

But, to me it looks like something sticking down from the right side of the bike grounded out.  As he approaches the camera, there is s small black spike or something sticking straight down that looks like it is on the right side of the bike.  If you look at the road surface just as he crossed the yellow line, and sort of jerked upright, there is a straight black line, like something on the bike cut the surface of the road.  Or not.  Still, your machine shouldn't sit so low that it won't lean enough to make a decent turn. 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 06:28:42 AM »
But, to me it looks like something sticking down from the right side of the bike grounded out.  As he approaches the camera, there is s small black spike or something sticking straight down that looks like it is on the right side of the bike.  If you look at the road surface just as he crossed the yellow line, and sort of jerked upright, there is a straight black line, like something on the bike cut the surface of the road. 

I analyzed each frame.  Being a crappy animated GIF, there aren't many frames, making it much less useful than it could be.  From what I could tell, there is nothing on the road and nothing sticking out on the bike.  He simply was distracted, tried to lean/turn too late too hard, discovered that cruisers can't lean much, bottomed out, pulled it back out of scraping and thought he could probably brake to a stop, and discovered that he didn't have enough braking power and/or time, and ran into the car.  During the final braking, the bike was very straight, so it appears neither wheel locked.  It also looked like there was not as much weight transfer forward as I would expect and should be, so I suspect he didn't brake hard enough, or his front brakes are just crap.  I think his brake light is also modulated (blinks).

The original is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2R4D1vBOM8
It wasn't a video- the photographer was taking some high-speed stills and knitted it together into a video.  The cyclist ended up with only a radial fracture of the forearm/wrist.

Or not.  Still, your machine shouldn't sit so low that it won't lean enough to make a decent turn.

Exactly.  I can't know for sure, but had he quickly returned to leaning (but not abruptly), he MIGHT have been able to make it through, especially if the car moved over to give him more room (which it did).  It also would have been preferable to do a low-side than to plow straight into the car.  Of course, it is easy to hind-sight something like this.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
Bottom line the guy was sight seeing on a road the takes 100% of your attention. Shouldn't have been there. Too bad about the vette, hope the driver wasn't hurt.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 03:16:18 PM »
Bottom line the guy was sight seeing on a road the takes 100% of your attention. Shouldn't have been there. Too bad about the vette, hope the driver wasn't hurt.

The Corvette driver was not hurt.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 06:04:27 AM »
I've been there twice, no plans to go back, I'm amazed there aren't more crashes there with the sheer amount of traffic, distractions, and just plain idiocity taking place on every single inch of that road.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 06:10:21 AM »
As the saying goes in the RSA:

Look where you are going, don't go where you are looking.... :nuts:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
'look at me! '

bam.

rolling darwinism.  :thumbdown

Ive been there no less than 30x, over the past 21 yrs... ive seen some really gnarly accidents in person.  fri/sat are cherahola and 28 days. mon-wed are dragon days. thurs is a mixed bag. any time after about 5 is relatively safe, any time before 9am is relatively safe.  But typically the sightseer cruiser guys are the biggest wreck causers. The majority of them can't hold a line at 20mph.  Some of the best fun is midnight runs mid week. thats good stuff.  :chugbeer:

guy in the vette prob got a decent payout.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 06:36:18 PM »
Too many other good roads in the area.
IBA #18591

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
Me too, guys. I'll hang out and grab a burger, but I don't need the frustration of the idiots on that road.
The grass isn't always greener.