Author Topic: Honda!  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Honda!
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
Power washer that is......

Sorry, this may be the wrong place for it, but thought I ask if some tinkerer may have some insight on my issue. So, after storing for the winter, my pressure washer will not start. And this was the first winter I stored with fuel stabilizer in it. Narrowed the issue down to the carb. If I shoot gas straight into the throttle body with a squirt bottle, the engine keeps running. Once I quit shooting, it will quit. Basically it seems like it is not able to suck the gas from the bowel up the jet. Is it time to get a new carb? Or is it salvagable?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Honda!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Check the fuel line in the tank, if it has one. I have seen chainsaw engines develop a pinhole in the pickup tube and loose suction.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
I'd bet the float valve is stuck, remove the fuel bowl, spray some carb cleaned on the small valve that is attached to the float, gently work the valve a few times, and she should work.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
I'd bet the float valve is stuck, remove the fuel bowl, spray some carb cleaned on the small valve that is attached to the float, gently work the valve a few times, and she should work.

My money is on this one. Sometimes you can get the float valve loose by giving the bowl a good wack or two. If that doesn't work, time to take 'er apart. Draining the float bowl before you put it up for the winter is a good idea.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
Update:

1. Checked that gas flows nice and good all the way to carb and float bowel fills up.
2. Took carb out and removed the float bowel. Appears float is not stuck.
3. There is a small tube in the center of the carb. And inside it I see what appears to be a needle (or jet - heck I do not know what it is called). There is a pin hole in this tube, which I assume is used to fill the carb. The pin hole works fine, but cannot comment on the jet. Not sure how to test it. I guess it is time to unscrew the jet and give it a good blow or two (with air ofcourse!)?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
Update:

1. Checked that gas flows nice and good all the way to carb and float bowel fills up.
3. There is a small tube in the center of the carb. And inside it I see what appears to be a needle (or jet - heck I do not know what it is called). There is a pin hole in this tube, which I assume is used to fill the carb. The pin hole works fine, but cannot comment on the jet. Not sure how to test it. I guess it is time to unscrew the jet and give it a good blow or two (with air ofcourse!)?

Sometimes a very fine wire can be use to clean out the jet.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
I fixed my in-laws power washer by pushing a straight pin through the jet and removing a blockage in the jet. 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
hmmm....sticking a fine wire sounds like a good idea. I will try that tonight when I get home. Also, I messed up the kill switch thinking that was the issue. Basically, the little biddy metal piece that it uses to ground the coil fell out. Could not tell if it was soldered in there or just pushed in there. Right now, I just got a wire hanging to kill the engine - not that I have an opportunity to use it yet :D
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
get some guitar strings
they work great for cleaning carb passages

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
Typically carb cleaner (soak &/or spray) and compressed air work well to clean jets.  Normally metal/wire is not a preferred choice, as it can possibly scratch the inner bore of the jet.  The guitar string (nylon?) might work okay. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
Update:

The float may move freely, but the needle valve itself?  usually has a small rubber piece on the end, or smooth brass cone that creates the seal.  Pull the entire float off and needle.  A stuck needle may cause flooding or inconsistant fuel flow.  Dont use too much air if blowing out carb, bad things happen :(  A good soak and thourough cleaning usually result in a smooth running engine.  Trying to rush the cleaning causes most failures.  Dont ask me how I know this.  $90 dollars later I have a smooth running weed wacker, If only I took my own advice 8)  The guitar strings sound great, just dont force things, light poking, gentle twisting should be all you need.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
Agreed, be gentle.  When I used the straight pin it didn't take a lot of effort.  I do now own a set of carb cleaning wires, they are very gentle and are not strong enough to poke through anything overly solid. 
...and a good time was had by all.