Author Topic: OEM windshield damaged.  (Read 1834 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
OEM windshield damaged.
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »
08 oem windshield with Madstad brackets and Wunderliche winglet.
Two days ago I hit a vicious hidden pothole while riding in MN during the MSTA national. The MN dotd had reapaired a series of waht we suspect were frost heaves. They did a bad job on one. I know of two R1200 GS wire wheels that got bent. My wheel did not bend but the  jolt apparently flexed my windshield and the Wunderliche winglet that was bolted to the top of the shield ripped oof, breaking a pieve of the shield off and putting a crack in it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: OEM windshield damaged.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
photo's, replacement quotes, and your insurance agent's info should be on it's way to the responsible DOT's management already... should have called in the local LEO's for 'on the spot documentations'...

and 42  8x10 glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each, telling the story in three part harmony...

not to mention the mental anguish... :yikes: :yikes: :stirpot: :censored:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
photo's, replacement [.....]

In most places, you can't sue or hold the government responsible for damage to your vehicle due to road issues unless it is a case of negligence.  "In order to prove negligence, you must prove that the government knew or should reasonably have known of the problem with the road."   Hard to know if this would apply in his case, but it might...  Hopefully, it is/was covered by insurance, that becomes the insurance company's problem/fight :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »
Sounds more like recommendations.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Sounds more like recommendations.

Yeah, after I posted, I realized I misread it, then changed the entire post while you were typing that one :)  Gotta be fast!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
You guys crack me up. The problem area was marked with a yellow "BUMP" sign. As luck would have it a member here posted a screen for sale at a low price and I jumped on it. My windshield is the least of my financial ( and domestic) hits during this trip. We had some major thunderstorm activity in the midwest. My wife was planning to fly up to join me. Her flights got canceled. I got caught in a T storm on Thursday that kilt my RD.  :(

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
:)  Glad it worked out.  Yeah, going through insurance would be a pain, if even applicable.  Deductible, claim history, hassle, etc.  Now, if it damaged your wheel, broke the windscreen holding mechanism, or something even worse, it might be a situation!

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »
Another rider with my group bent his front wheel on the same bump,  a BMW GS. I can imagine that will be worth a claim.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:33 PM »
Another rider with my group bent his front wheel on the same bump,  a BMW GS. I can imagine that will be worth a claim.

Yeah, BMW.... the wheel might cost as much as a nice, used Concours :)

Offline route66tc

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:12:29 AM »
In most places, you can't sue or hold the government responsible for damage to your vehicle due to road issues unless it is a case of negligence.  "In order to prove negligence, you must prove that the government knew or should reasonably have known of the problem with the road."   Hard to know if this would apply in his case, but it might...  Hopefully, it is/was covered by insurance, that becomes the insurance company's problem/fight :)

This from the Indiana Dept of Transportation:
If your vehicle or property is damaged (such as hitting a pothole on a state road, interstate or U.S. route) or your personal property is damaged by an INDOT vehicle (such as a mail box being struck) you may file a tort claim.