Author Topic: I don't like Crack  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
I don't like Crack
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »
I was removing the windscreen, again, and I finally rounded the stupid hex bolt on the right  (the large one).  My efforts to remove it included some precision chiseling and cursing.

I managed to remove the bolt and crack the screen at the same time.  So, I now have this new challenge.  What to do?  Ignore the crack and just slap the screen back on (with NEW hardware which I already have)? Or, address the crack?  I am hesitant to just put it back together because I feel that the crack will propagate.

I was considering drilling a relief hole in front of the crack to halt the propagation.  What do you guys think?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: I don't like Crack
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
If you have the correct plastic bit that won't expand the crack, drill the relief hole.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
Just my opinion, and not to throw rocks on your parade but...... even if you stop that crack from spreading, it has already weakened the windshield mounting point enough that I believe it will outright fail at some point in the future. So no matter what you do now, I believe that windshield is 'toast'.

You might be able to layer new plastic against the existing windshield using epoxy but really, how is that going to look? And how is it going to mount?

Again, just my opinion and not trying to be negative or anything.

Brian

I was removing the windscreen, again, and I finally rounded the stupid hex bolt on the right  (the large one).  My efforts to remove it included some precision chiseling and cursing.

I managed to remove the bolt and crack the screen at the same time.  So, I now have this new challenge.  What to do?  Ignore the crack and just slap the screen back on (with NEW hardware which I already have)? Or, address the crack?  I am hesitant to just put it back together because I feel that the crack will propagate.

I was considering drilling a relief hole in front of the crack to halt the propagation.  What do you guys think?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »
You probably can't do much to effectively "fix" the issue, other than replacing the windscreen.  You might want to just continue using it and if the crack starts to expand much, replace it (for safety's sake).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »
Thanks.  I wanted to get away from replacing the screen but I will.

1. Order another screen from Lee Bailey's if they're still around - or - start shopping.
2. Drill a smallish relief hole (1/8" ?).
3. Put it back on.
4. Say an appropriate prayer.
5. Replace the screen.
5. Carry on.

I started riding sometime during the late part of the past century.  Never had a screen.  Screens are for sissies.  Then I got a bike that already had one and decided to leave it on.

Holy crap I really miss my screen!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
Screens are for sissies.  Then I got a bike that already had one and decided to leave it on.  Holy crap I really miss my screen!

:)  Yep.

"Real men" need to be uncomfortable, in pain, suffering, perhaps wet, cold, whatever (and loud, "bad", annoying, tough, non-caring, non-compassionate, rude, etc).  Glad you are learning this isn't true!  Enjoy the ride (and I stress "enjoy")...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
Yeah, and after over 55 hours of continuous riding, I could not find a 'real man' anywhere in eyesight. Just me, and a fellow rider who rode the last leg of the journey with me from Tacoma (about 85 miles). But as Mary Jane Tinklepants, I managed to cross the continent and a bit more, all the while with two GPSs, music, heated gear, rain gear, taller windshield, lowered pegs, a saddle w/ an Airhawk on it and another myriad of 'creature comforts' to go with it. And I was still 'shot' at the end.

'Real men' are the first to drop and fail. "Luck favors the prepared". Or as Napoleon said: "Send me 'lucky' Generals".....

Brian (AKA Mary Jane Tinklepants: remember, even those riding the IBA rally sleep the first night.....)

:)  Yep.

"Real men" need to be uncomfortable, in pain, suffering, perhaps wet, cold, whatever (and loud, "bad", annoying, tough, non-caring, non-compassionate, rude, etc).  Glad you are learning this isn't true!  Enjoy the ride (and I stress "enjoy")...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »
I don't know if I will ever acquire "real man" status. You guys are NUTS!  😂😂😂

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »
besides giving Mary Jane Tinklepants a rock of crack the size of a brick, and helping her smoke it....

remove the screen.
set it on the bench, and pull out a BurnzoMatic Propane torch.

fire it up.
aim it at a spot about 1" beyond the end of the crack, and run it towards the crack. super heating the area right up to the hole...
turn the screen over, and repeat that 'process'...
this will 'mar' the surface, but if done rapidly, and correctly, it will change the molecular composition of the polymer, and make it somewhat 'maleable'... it will soften it in the area of the 'crack', and then you can drill a hole at the 'end' of said crack, about 3/16" in diameter.. then, using a countersink/chamfer bit, relieve the 'sharp edges of the hole, at the surface of the plastic'..

then, hit the hole again, on both sides, with the torch... to 'meld' (not melt) and resoften it...

it works.
it's free.
it won't re-crack.

crack is whack man....

say NO to Crack...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Tree

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »
Oh Gawd that's funny.

And it's all fixed.  Too bad I did the deed prior to reading MOB's post.  I guess I can go back on it and hit it with heat now that I think about it.  Nice write up MOB, thanks.  Remember kids, say no to Crack.

The gum in the pic was added for increased stiffness after the initial road test following the repair.  That will have to hold until I can get a torch.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
Most plastics can be melted with acetone, after drilling and de-burring the stop hole, apply a small amount of acetone to the large hole and let capillary action draw the acetone into the crack. This may help reinforce the crack. Unfortunately, Cee-Bailey quit making motorcycle wind screens.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
Oh Gawd that's funny.

And it's all fixed.  Too bad I did the deed prior to reading MOB's post.  I guess I can go back on it and hit it with heat now that I think about it.  Nice write up MOB, thanks.  Remember kids, say no to Crack.

The gum in the pic was added for increased stiffness after the initial road test following the repair.  That will have to hold until I can get a torch.

you really need to go back in and 'smooth' the hole you drilled; you can see clearly how the plastic has some 'chipping', and small irregularities from the drill bit 'popping' some small edges creating mini fractures....that will likely propagate also... get some 100 grit ( or finer) sand paper, and wrap it around the end of a pencil tip, creating a 'cone shaped' sanding tool... stick that in the hole, from both sides, and rotate it to smooth those micro cracks and chipping until they are smooth, and 'frosty' looking. Thos tiny fractures are where further cracks develop, the same thing is done when drilling holes in glass, like aquariums and stuff (where i was told about sanding the edges)... very important step. The propane torch thing kinda accomplishes it, and anneals the plastic at the same time. (I actually have a small butane micro torch, used for delicate soldering on jewelry and stuff, has a pinpoint flame... works great...) .
Cee Bailey's always made their screens from a high quality Polycarbonate, aircraft grade stuff, and the micro-torch annealing thing was something i was told by a technician that specialized in that Polycarbonate repair stuff...  same guy explained about trying to drill poly like that, and how important it was to have a sharp bit, and heat the spot immediately before drilling, to soften the plastic, preventing the spawling and chipping (he even suggested just using a piece of very thin wall tubing, heated red hot, and plunging it thru instead of drilling, then carefully sanding the excess stuff off, after it cooled.
I never tried using a solvent on Polycarbonate like the screen is made of, not sure if acetone would have the effect, so i can't suggest "chemically welding",  I'd really be careful on lexan, as the wrong solvent will cause the material to 'craze' (forming a bazilion tiny surface cracks) and break.  I do know some solvents do work great for many acrylics, like is used in aquariums, but there are so many different compounds of plastics, that are similar, but during the forming process where it's heated, and molded and shaped the molecular structure is altered. :_shudder_Emoticon

love the chewing gum thing tho... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

there's a bit about Lexan, and stuff I mentioned here, for reference, so you don't think I'm making all this up.... ;)

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/03/repairing-crack-in-plexiglass.html

just remember, Lexan and common plexiglass are very different materials.

https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/how-to-glue-polycarbonate/

Offline Tree

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
I did go back and apply some heat.  Smoothed the edges on the hole and walked the heat along the crack (both sides).  That should do it.

I guess I will know if it fails.  My first hint will be the shield removing my head.  Can't wait.  That'll be cool.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 06:56:52 PM »
LOL!  Hopefully it won't fail, and if it does, it doesn't fail quite that dramatically.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »
Back to the beginning, when I first bought this bike I had a employee do some work on it that involved removing and replacing the windshield, he placed the allen wrench in my Smuggler for later use, when I went to change shields, I realised he used a SAE not a metric allen wrench and boogered the screws a little.
If this happens to someone it might be better to use a cut off wheel to score a straight line to use a screwdriver, don't beat your baby  ;D

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »
Back to the beginning, when I first bought this bike I had a employee do some work on it that involved removing and replacing the windshield, he placed the allen wrench in my Smuggler for later use, when I went to change shields, I realised he used a SAE not a metric allen wrench and boogered the screws a little.
If this happens to someone it might be better to use a cut off wheel to score a straight line to use a screwdriver, don't beat your baby  ;D

good tip

the small Dremel tool cutoff wheel to the rescue again, have used that many times in the exact same manner, for getting out those pesky phillips flathead screws on the brake and clutch reservoirs, people gooch up... works like a champ.
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Tree

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
So sad.  Me no hit stuff with big bang-bang?  My mechanical skills would have me beating the thing with the Dremel anyhow.   :P