Author Topic: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure  (Read 31131 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:42 AM »

It gets a little old but honestly I've dealt with my entire life. Every debit card purchase & phone call I make where I have to say my name, I get the same Halloween serial killer comments.  I've learned to live with it & make the most out of it.  I usually humor the person & move on.  Only time it gets really annoying is Halloween night.  My home phone blows up with prank calls.  Its my fault b/c I shouldn't have my name in the phone book as Michael Myers anyway.   :D

What's funny is I never get the comedian Mike Myers.  You'd think someone would go all Austin Powers on me but its never happened.   :o

Well, it could be worse. There's a guy listed in our local phone book named Oral Sexton.  :o  I'm sure that his parents got a big laugh outta that eh? 

For a couple of years there was another listing in the same phone book for a guy named Heywood Jablome, I'm not kidding! I don't know how that one got listed but it's been removed.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lolife

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 06:57:54 AM »
You're right, it could be worse.   :o

I have a friend named Brian Adams, no one cares about ghey rock but I give him a hard time.   ;D

I know someone named Mike Hunt.  No joke, I'm sure his ribbing was a lot worse than mine.   8)

Offline lolife

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
I got my Kaw back today.  The dealer installed the spring kit & said to give it a go.  Its working fine right now.   ::)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
I know someone named Mike Hunt.  No joke, I'm sure his ribbing was a lot worse than mine.   8)

So do I. At least I did in high school, in Oregon.
In grade school my best friend and I both had the initials BJ, so we were known as the BJ brothers.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
I got my Kaw back today.  The dealer installed the spring kit & said to give it a go.  Its working fine right now.   ::)

Did they give you any details about the spring kit?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lolife

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
Did they give you any details about the spring kit?

Unfortunately no.  They didn't get into any detail other than it was a small bag of springs & they replaced them inside the switch.  There wasn't any service people there when I picked it up so I got the story from the parts guy as I was picking up a filter & oil. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
Ask your parts guy if there was a part # on that small bag of springs.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 07:44:09 PM »
Yes..part number. Is that spring available without a shop putting it in?

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 05:03:22 AM »
I would think the part # of the spring kit should be on the service invoice .....
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:51 AM »
Springs? More than one? As far as I know, there is only one spring directly under the activation switch.

No part number on the new spring either, Kawasaki is just supplying them. The ignition switch assembly is officially not serviceable so no internal parts are available.

Brian

Unfortunately no.  They didn't get into any detail other than it was a small bag of springs & they replaced them inside the switch.  There wasn't any service people there when I picked it up so I got the story from the parts guy as I was picking up a filter & oil.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lolife

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
I called the service manager this morning.  I'm not trying to open a can of worms, I'm just relaying information.   ;)

He said when I brought my bike in, he placed an order for a new ignition switch & called the verify that Kaw would pay for the repair under warranty b/c he wanted to ensure he'd get paid.  Can't blame the guy for that.   :)

He said that whomever he spoke with at Kaw advised him against replacing the entire switch & said they would send him a pack of springs & they wanted him to replaced the 1 spring inside the keyswitch for the KiPass activiation switch.

He said he received a small ziplock bag with 3 springs in it.  They were all the same spring but they sent a couple extra for other repairs or if he lost 2. 

There wasn't a part number only 3 springs in a small clear ziplock bag.  He took my switch apart, cleaned it, which he said was pretty clean & installed one of the new springs.

If I've been lied to, then he told it.  I believe the guy.  I was a mechanic at a Case construction equipment dealership for 16yrs.  Our service rep not only looked over our warranty claims, sometimes they would provide parts that weren't assigned public part numbers & couldn't be ordered directly from Case but they were in fact available when certain warranty claims were submitted.  His story isn't far fetched to me.

That's about all I know to say. I haven't test ridden it other than home but the weather man says its going to be 60 & sunny on Saturday so my new spring will be getting a test then.   8)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
Makes sense on sending multiple springs. What threw me a bit was the idea that there was more than one spring inside the switch itself.

I was actually agreeing with you regarding the lack of a part number- the new spring does NOT have a part number because it is a 'backdoor' fix from Kawasaki and not anything they want the public to have access to. Officially the ignition switch assembly is not serviceable so having the dealers change a spring inside them is an unusual step.

Best of luck with the repair. The new spring should solve the problem. And thanks for letting us know how the problem was resolved for you, and posting that info.

Brian

I called the service manager this morning.  I'm not trying to open a can of worms, I'm just relaying information.   ;)

He said when I brought my bike in, he placed an order for a new ignition switch & called the verify that Kaw would pay for the repair under warranty b/c he wanted to ensure he'd get paid.  Can't blame the guy for that.   :)

He said that whomever he spoke with at Kaw advised him against replacing the entire switch & said they would send him a pack of springs & they wanted him to replaced the 1 spring inside the keyswitch for the KiPass activiation switch.

He said he received a small ziplock bag with 3 springs in it.  They were all the same spring but they sent a couple extra for other repairs or if he lost 2. 

There wasn't a part number only 3 springs in a small clear ziplock bag.  He took my switch apart, cleaned it, which he said was pretty clean & installed one of the new springs.

If I've been lied to, then he told it.  I believe the guy.  I was a mechanic at a Case construction equipment dealership for 16yrs.  Our service rep not only looked over our warranty claims, sometimes they would provide parts that weren't assigned public part numbers & couldn't be ordered directly from Case but they were in fact available when certain warranty claims were submitted.  His story isn't far fetched to me.

That's about all I know to say. I haven't test ridden it other than home but the weather man says its going to be 60 & sunny on Saturday so my new spring will be getting a test then.   8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
Well, it could be worse. There's a guy listed in our local phone book named Oral Sexton.  :o  I'm sure that his parents got a big laugh outta that eh? 

For a couple of years there was another listing in the same phone book for a guy named Heywood Jablome, I'm not kidding! I don't know how that one got listed but it's been removed.

You do know that the phone company will let you list your number with a different name (versus what's on the bill), right? 

I highly doubt Oral's parents got a laugh, as I highly doubt Oral Sexton existed.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »
You do know that the phone company will let you list your number with a different name (versus what's on the bill), right? 

I highly doubt Oral's parents got a laugh, as I highly doubt Oral Sexton existed.

Really?

http://pipl.com/directory/name/Sexton/Oral/

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
I stand corrected. That would suck today (pun intended).

But I still don't agree that parents named thier kids that 70-80 years ago (see the listings), or even if they did now, to laugh at them. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
I stand corrected. That would suck today (pun intended).

But I still don't agree that parents named thier kids that 70-80 years ago (see the listings), or even if they did now, to laugh at them.

I wasn't serious when I said that his parents got a good laugh out of this, that was a bit of sarcasm...  ::)

Offline sqwuch

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »
It's still amazing after all this time the Kipass issue is still happening
I was one of the first to have the problem, stuck 20 miles south of Hanksville UT.  A big part of the problem with this advanced system is that it can be fritzed by a fine grain of sand.  I am pretty sure this is what happened to me as there was a significant dusty crosswind for 150+ miles before it happened.  Finally banging it a few times and a couple  of other sticks it finally loosened.
I haven't had such issue since -- but also my wanting to go cross country has been compromised.  Like other who have reported the passing switch gets wet and activates -- knowing that the older models had this switch directly in the rain this should of affected a water proof switch.
Had they used a magnetic switch  I'm betting sand, duct or any other particulate wouldn't jam it.
All in all, the cracked fairing under the mirrors, the scratches have been put there with big smiles.  I with the TPS had batteries, I wish the display not only had Air temp but road temp sensing and a stealth mode because 1 ticket every 18 months is tough.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
I went across country in 2010.  No issues with the KIPASS system.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Love the K-Rock avatar SQ!  ;D 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2012, 03:59:11 AM »
No you don't.  It's not black.