Author Topic: C10 EFI Project  (Read 18274 times)

gpineau

Re: C10 EFI Project
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Well... darn it.
I have waited long enough. 

I need to get sneaky. I know a place that has a strait 2.5 mile flat, paved, farm road..hmmm 
40°11'23.2"N 104°58'19.9"W  <<<<------X Follow along for a virtual ride.
left on county road 7
left on CR 5 1/2
left on 119
under I-25 underpass.
left on I-25 East frontage road.  Head north.
right on state highway 66. ....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »
Go for it….

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
Made some changes to the AFR settings and leaned out the VE table at the high end. Started out and after about 10 miles I gave up and went home. Ran very poorly. The same as yesterday only worse. couldnt get over 60mph.

But I was in the mood and hopped on my V-Star and made the run described above. It felt really good to get out and feel the bike on the road. I love the sound of a V-Twin.

It's turned cold and looking like rain. So now I am home analyzing the log and scratching my head.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
Following you, keep up on it. I'm just trying to help at this point, not to be messing with you.(I think you know I apologized, and hopefully you realize I'm being sincere)

carry on,

Who are you and what have you done with Rich? Please don't hurt him... MUCH
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »

DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE...  :rotflmao: :yikes: :thumbs: :salute:

I'm recovering from a complete "Opti-rectomy", where I removed my head, from my rectum.
it's a seasonal thing... and I believe in Karma....
peace

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE...  :rotflmao: :yikes: :thumbs: :salute:

I'm recovering from a complete "Opti-rectomy", where I removed my head, from my rectum.
it's a seasonal thing... and I believe in Karma....
peace

I could come to you or at least come closer... I'm in Toledo and Cleveland quite frequently...  ;)  8)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:22 AM »

Wot Tony sed ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »
Well... darn it.
I have waited long enough. 

I need to get sneaky. I know a place that has a strait 2.5 mile flat, paved, farm road..hmmm 
40°11'23.2"N 104°58'19.9"W  <<<<------X Follow along for a virtual ride.
left on county road 7
left on CR 5 1/2
left on 119
under I-25 underpass.
left on I-25 East frontage road.  Head north.
right on state highway 66. ....

So close...
From Lyons, I'm a 10 minute ride, or 12 miles. Unless you ride a Hardley... or drive a Chebby ;) Not like I'd answer the door if you showed up, but you never know ;)

Wash yer lunch hooks, wear a mask, keep posting updates!!

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

gpineau

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2020, 05:22:42 AM »
So close...
From Lyons, I'm a 10 minute ride, or 12 miles. Unless you ride a Hardley... or drive a Chebby ;) Not like I'd answer the door if you showed up, but you never know ;)

Wash yer lunch hooks, wear a mask, keep posting updates!!

Rick
Really? That's another great stretch of flat highway between  Longmont and Lyons But I didn't want to get that far from home in-case I had problems.

I found one problem that would possible be causing the bad performance.  Last time I did the warm-up enrichment the warm-up threshold was set at 174 degrees. Looking at the log I see the coolant temperature is teetering between 174  and 178. So the ECU was going in and out of warm-up enrichment.  Another strangeness in the data log is the timing advance is not correct.
There is always a tomorrow. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
I could come to you or at least come closer... I'm in Toledo and Cleveland quite frequently...  ;)  8)

I thought you retired?

damn, I didn't realize.. I wanna get together with Strawboss (Dave), maybe we can make it a mini outdoor get together.. I'll bring my "6 foot pole/jabby stick"..   Both Dave and I could be in downtown in less than a half hour. :grouphug: :grouphug: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »

Don't worry.   It's only a phase he's going through....LOL  I'm sure it's due to too much Corona.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
I thought you retired?

damn, I didn't realize.. I wanna get together with Strawboss (Dave), maybe we can make it a mini outdoor get together.. I'll bring my "6 foot pole/jabby stick"..   Both Dave and I could be in downtown in less than a half hour. :grouphug: :grouphug: :popcorn:

Nope no plans on retiring just yet, I've got it too good where I'm at... Moved down to TN about 6 years ago, but plans change as it looks like we are gonna come back north to get closer to family for the wife. Looking at north east corner of IN right in the James chain of lakes...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
That should lessen the commute...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

gpineau

« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
Back on topic.
Found some issues. The reason it was running poorly is three fold.
1. The warm up enrichment threshold  temperature was set too high. So the ECU was switching in and out of warm up. (dangers of auto-tune)
2. The spark advance table got botched somehow. I created a new table using megasquirt spark table generator.
3. The heater in the O2 sensor has burned out. I was tuning the last 30 minutes with a defective O2 sensor. This will set me back about a week waiting for a replacement.

Friends tell me the reason for the O2 sensor failure was thermal shock.  I was powering it on with the key. If I waited too long to start the engine then condensation inside the tail pipe would hit the hot sensor causing thermal shock. It is recommended that the O2 sensor be powered after / at the same time as the engine.  So I am going to power the O2 sensor heater at the same time as the fuel pump which only runs when the engine is running.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:17:24 PM by gpineau »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »
... Back on topic...

Apologies for the hijack...
Tony P. Crochet

gpineau

« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
No problem,
The whole forum is a social club anyway. I just had an update I needed to post so ...carry on.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
No problem,
The whole forum is a social club anyway. I just had an update I needed to post so ...carry on.

Where is the LIKE button...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
Back on topic.
Found some issues. The reason it was running poorly is three fold.
1. The warm up enrichment threshold  temperature was set too high. So the ECU was switching in and out of warm up. (dangers of auto-tune)
2. The spark advance table got botched somehow. I created a new table using megasquirt spark table generator.
3. The heater in the O2 sensor has burned out. I was tuning the last 30 minutes with a defective O2 sensor. This will set me back about a week waiting for a replacement.

Friends tell me the reason for the O2 sensor failure was thermal shock.  I was powering it on with the key. If I waited too long to start the engine then condensation inside the tail pipe would hit the hot sensor causing thermal shock. It is recommended that the O2 sensor be powered after / at the same time as the engine.  So I am going to power the O2 sensor heater at the same time as the fuel pump which only runs when the engine is running.

Yahooo!
      Progress...  :thumbs:

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
This is possibly the last post for a while. I have solved the issues that I posted previously.
The bike now has the correct spark advance table and a brand new O2 sensor.
I moved the power for the O2 sensor over to the fuel pump relay so that it does not have a chance to heat up before the engine exhaust is cleared of vapor.

I set the warm up enrichment to terminate at 116 degrees coolant temperature.

Went for a tuning ride. Because the last tune attempt was done with a defective O2 sensor the bike was running way too rich. After about 10 minutes of tuning at various RPM and loads the bike is running better than ever.  I'm not real good at speed shifting but it is very easy to hit 80 mph before you realize it. It is an absolute thrill to find an open stretch of straight road and go through the gears. It accelerates very well and pulls hills with little effort. I know my other Connie and my V-Star would not be able to keep up.

There is still some tweaking to be done but for the most part I am calling the project finished. Unless there is  a cool exhaust or raised handle bars or some really amazing improvement I won't be posting as often.

I learned a lot, enhanced my vocabulary of 4 letter words, and broke a few tools.  God only knows how much money I spent on solutions that didn't work out. But all in all I had fun and I feel a level of accomplishment.

Maybe a video is coming soon....https://youtu.be/HxlnfWB97fk

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2020, 10:16:37 AM »
I've been following your progress on the EFI conversion and I do admire your tenacity and persistence. It was a project I considered way back but just did not have the time to pursue it. After watching your project, I'm glad I didn't - LOL It's a LOT to undertake. Great job!

I'd like to see a video of the bike when you get it completely finished.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)