Author Topic: Dropped her within hours of buying her.  (Read 7012 times)

Offline Dualsport

Dropped her within hours of buying her.
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
Had to go to Houston, a 9 hour ride for me. Was getting at the Kawi dealership getting new tires for my KLR-650 for the trip and the damned dealer sold me a Concours. I went home and transferred everything to the new bike. Rolling backwards down my driveway I caught a pant leg on the left footpeg and fell left, breaking off the rear brake pedal. Had to go get a 1/2" electrical conduit connector, bend it oval shaped in a vice. Stuck the broken off front portion in the connector and screwed it down, then tapped that assembly on to the broken lever with a hammer. Tightened up the screws and it worked. Lasted for months until I could replace it all. As some have posted, I may have done more damage and worsened the scratches just trying to pick it up on the sloping driveway. Never fixed any of the scratches other than to smooth them out. It's been my experience that if'n I'd fixed it all, I'd have just dropped it again shortly thereafter... 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Dropped her within hours of buying her.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
Got that out of the way.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
My co-worker dropped my '96 Honda CBR900RR with 11 miles on the ODO.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:54:52 AM »
I'm embarrassed to admit I dropped a newly purchased ZX9R within 25 yards of the supplying dealership back in mid 90s......  it was wet and the tyres were new   :-[ 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
Dropped the C10 once.  Dropped the C14 in the garage because I forgot to put the side stand down.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »
Rolling backwards down my driveway I caught a pant leg on the left foot peg and fell left, breaking off the rear brake pedal. ................... As some have posted, I may have done more damage and worsened the scratches just trying to pick it up on the sloping driveway.
Huh?  ???

So did you fall left and the bike fall right...or...did you fall left and when you struggled to pick it up it then over centered and kept going to the other side and then broke off the brake pedal?
In the end it doesn't matter, the same result, but since you gave all the details...I was trying to picture it and couldn't.

I too have a fairly good slope to my driveway and some close calls. I purchased tip over protection fairly quickly and then started dropping my poor girl every where it seems. I haven't dropped her in the driveway yet because I purchased a Park-N-Move and turn her around in the garage before I leave.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Dropped the C10 once.  Dropped the C14 in the garage because I forgot to put the side stand down.

I hadn't had the Nomad long when a couple friends & I went on a 3 day road trip. I was all excited about the ride as I pulled up next to them at the meeting spot. Shut the engine off, swung a leg over and down she went. It took about 5 minutes for them to stop laughing enough to help me lift it back up....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
As they should have... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.