Author Topic: R&R of the stock Clutch line.  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Tele130

R&R of the stock Clutch line.
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »
Before I bleed the system and start fishing the stock line out.................................anyone have any helpful suggestions for removal? (besides cutting it up  ;D)
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline throb

Re: R&R of the stock Clutch line.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/rd.htm

Cutting it out is about the only realistic approach.  The above link gives basic instruction towards the bottom of the page.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:03:06 AM »
Cut the bugger out in smaller links with a large pair of pliers....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  One of the fist mods that require "Destruction" of removed parts!!!!! :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
Doug, could you measure the new line end to end including the fittings?

I need to order one OTP but have to add 2" (for bar risers). HEL tell me their line is a straight swap for stock but I'd like to know what length your line is compraed to what they're offering me.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »

I need to order one OTP but have to add 2" (for bar risers). HEL tell me their line is a straight swap for stock but I'd like to know what length your line is compraed to what they're offering me.

55".  Nice thing is you don't have to run it behind the airbox which will save about 6" anyhow. :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »
55".  Nice thing is you don't have to run it behind the airbox which will save about 6" anyhow. :thumbs:

Thanks  :)

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:30:59 AM »

You do not need to replace the clutch line for two inch risers, some careful re-bending along the top frame tube will get you enough slack to make it work, same with the throttle cables, just do a little re-routing. The enrichener and brake lines do have to be replaced, IIRC. This is ASSuming, of course, that you are not putting ape hanger bars on. :yikes: :rotflmao:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:54 AM »
You do not need to replace the clutch line for two inch risers, some careful re-bending along the top frame tube will get you enough slack to make it work, same with the throttle cables, just do a little re-routing. The enrichener and brake lines do have to be replaced, IIRC. This is ASSuming, of course, that you are not putting ape hanger bars on. :yikes: :rotflmao:

I'm replacing the clutch line for a braided HEL one and already have the risers fitted.

My stock clutch line with the risers is tight (ish) at the bar end but this is because my clutch lever is adjusted to a level where it's comfortable. If I tip my lever forward, I get more slack but then not comfortable for clutch hand.

I'm using the stock choke cable with my risers, just don't run it through the guide on the headstock.

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:51:24 AM »
Can i ask why you have to cut out the clutch line? cant you just unhook it and pull it out. guess i will go out and take a close look at mine and see, I think it wouldn't hurt to replace my line as well.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:35 AM »
Can i ask why you have to cut out the clutch line? cant you just unhook it and pull it out. guess i will go out and take a close look at mine and see, I think it wouldn't hurt to replace my line as well.

It's a rubber/Rigid line combo.  If you feel like removing the airbox......................... :yikes:, then it could probably be done. ;D

Doug Colton

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
When I removed my stock clutch cable, I unscrewed the hose part from the rigid part up by the steering head.  Then, by simply removing the airbox, I was able to fish it out the back along the frame.

Yes, I rode with both cables in place for about 6K miles. :)