Author Topic: Spare rear wheel and TPS  (Read 3343 times)

Offline SmokinRZ

Spare rear wheel and TPS
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
Hello, I purchased a spare rear wheel for my 08 on Ebay so I could have a fresh tire ready when longer trips came up.  When I opened the box I saw the TPS on the wheel and realized my plan was probably flawed.  So the question is, can I get more than one sensor registered to the ECM and switch back and forth between wheels?  I'm guessing no.  If I rode 50% of the time with no TPS, would the front still work?  Thank!       
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Spare rear wheel and TPS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
I would think all  you would see on the tire pressure display would be -- for the rear wheel.  Not sure if you can register more than two wheels of sensors, I would think not though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
I also have a spare wheel. When i run the one with the unregistered tps the front still works fine.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »
Ok, I will have to decide if I want to ride without the rear TPS 50% of the time  :-[
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
Ok, I will have to decide if I want to ride without the rear TPS 50% of the time  :-[.
I was thinking one option would be to put the front wheel TPS on the spare rear wheel. In half a million miles of riding I have never gotten a slow leak in a front tire. I have run over stuff that bent my wheel causing instant total deflation but a TPS would have been no help with that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
I was thinking one option would be to put the front wheel TPS on the spare rear wheel. In half a million miles of riding I have never gotten a slow leak in a front tire. I have run over stuff that bent my wheel causing instant total deflation but a TPS would have been no help with that.

I find it just as useful as an extremely convenient way to make sure the pressures are correct, every single ride start, not just failing or too low, but low enough to need inflation.  But that is partially because I am lazy :) 

Of course, if I were FORCED to choose in such a situation, it might be more logical to move/give up the front sensor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:55 AM »
the only oddity I can think of from putting the Front TPS into the rear is that when Rear Wheel A (presuming that;s the original rear) is on the display would read
F--
R 42

whilst with Rear Wheel B fitted the display would read

F 42
R --
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:48:20 AM »
There has to be a way to pair a new TPS unit to the bike if a replacement is ever needed. Is this capability a dealer only programming? Any way to buy that software for the DIY guys?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 05:36:12 AM »
There has to be a way to pair a new TPS unit to the bike if a replacement is ever needed. Is this capability a dealer only programming? Any way to buy that software for the DIY guys?

Sure there is.  That is not the problem.   The question posed is if two rear sensors would be registered at the same time, which is "no".  The only way there can be two rear sensors active at the same time would be to have two sensors coded to the same address.  As far as I know, it is not possible to do that- the sensors' addresses are hard-coded and not designed to be changed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:43:26 AM »
If you have the ability to pair the sensor when you change the wheel, it would only add a couple of mins to the install and you would have both tire pressures displayed regardless which wheel you use. Kind of depends on how cost prohibitive the software is tho.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:46 AM »
I think  you need the KDS tool for that and you would have to know the registration number of the sensor.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
Based on the part numbers at  http://www.militaryatvparts.com/parts_diagrams/Tools%20Kawasaki%202009%20Recomended%20Items.pdf

and pumping them into Partzilla it's going to cost neatly $1k to have your own KDS (that's presuming everything in stock and I haven't missed anything)

--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
Every once in a while a KDS system will show up on fleabay for 4-600 usd.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
which I suppose could work for you guys stateside if you wanted to set up a co-operative to share one.

Say 10 of you at $100 a head, not sure what the stealer costs over there are but probably wouldn't take long to pay for itself.
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Every once in a while a KDS system will show up on fleabay for 4-600 usd.

This is the expensive bit at nearly $700 (or around 66%)  of the total price

--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
They are printed on the outside tag on the sensor. And if the tag is missing or damaged such that one cannot read the numbers, another tag is inside the sensor with the same numbers on it. So unless someone took the sensor apart and damaged or removed that sticker, a used sensor <should> be usable.

Brian

I think  you need the KDS tool for that and you would have to know the registration number of the sensor.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
the only oddity I can think of from putting the Front TPS into the rear is that when Rear Wheel A (presuming that;s the original rear) is on the display would read
F--
R 42

whilst with Rear Wheel B fitted the display would read

F 42
R --
5 years ago I would have just seen that and said to myself: Self, you put the front TPS in the rear wheel, remember?
Now I would freak out and think KIPASS had malfunctioned. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
Quite.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »
Based on the part numbers at  http://www.militaryatvparts.com/parts_diagrams/Tools%20Kawasaki%202009%20Recomended%20Items.pdf

and pumping them into Partzilla it's going to cost neatly $1k to have your own KDS (that's presuming everything in stock and I haven't missed anything)

I'm going to have to research this a little more... just to satisfy my curiosity. I need to find out what else that thing can do. For $1000, it better do a lot more than just pare up TPS to the bike!!!!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
It was never meant for us end- users to buy, it is a 'dealer' tool. It is kinda' like buying a front- end alignment machine to align.... your car.  ;)

And yep, about all it does is register the TPS sensors and KiPass fobs to the bike. A few, very few, diagnostic features and no ability to adjust / set anything.

Most people just find a dealer that already has one and just pays for the half- hour or so to register the device(s) you want to the bike.

Brian

I'm going to have to research this a little more... just to satisfy my curiosity. I need to find out what else that thing can do. For $1000, it better do a lot more than just pare up TPS to the bike!!!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com