Author Topic: fuse blowing problem on 2011 C14  (Read 5225 times)

Offline kawacop1642

fuse blowing problem on 2011 C14
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
The 5 amp acc. fuse keeps blowing when I plug in my 12 volt air pump. I will be making a 1 month trip to the west coast in july and will be doing alot of camping. I use the pump to inflate a air matress. I wanted to make sure everything is in working order before the trip. would it be safe to up the fuse to a 15amp, or would that create more problems? I pluged in my garmin and it works just fine. I also checked the pump in my truck's acc. outlet and no problems.
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Silver Streak

Re: fuse blowing problem on 2011 C14
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
If the air pump is rated at 5 amp or more for current draw then there is no way to keep the fuses from blowing and putting a higher rated fuse than 5 amp will most likely end up in melted wires or worse. Is the Acc outlet in the truck rated at more than 5 amp? If the air pump is a higher than 5 amp current draw device find another that draws less or have a hand pump handy.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
I'm thinking about adding one of those powerlet outlets to the bike. They are rated at 15 amps. Maybe that would solve my problem, but does the loose accessory wires located at the front left of the bike carry that kind of amperage?

Offline jayke

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
No, 5 Amps max.  It's the same circuit as factory power port.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
You could try popping in a 7.5 amp fuse.  I'm not saying you should, but many systems are built with some excess capacity.  Personally, I would be willing to try a 7.5A, and would consider a 10A fuse in a fuse socket rated for 5A, but would not be brave enough to go any higher.

Having said that, on my C14, I added 2 Powerlets wired hot to the battery and am happy with that.  Another cheaper alternative would be to hot-wire an SAE/Battery Tender outlet to the battery and use that to run the compressor. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Install a powerlet and run it directly to the battery through a fuseblock of some kind.

The far superior 08's/09's have a 10 amp rating for this circuit.    ;)   8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
The pump is using more than 5 amps of current and popping the fuses. I would not increase the size of the factory fuse as you may overheat the bike's wiring (that is why the fuse is the size that it is).

The best way to connect devices that draw a lot of current is to use an aftermarket accessory plug. I like the ones supplied by Gerbing because of the connector (coaxial DC power connector) but you could also use something from a battery charger for example. Just put the correct mating plug on your air pump, install the accessory harness on the bike and it will work fine. A lot of motorcycle dealers will install something like this if you do not want to do it yourself.

Brian

The 5 amp acc. fuse keeps blowing when I plug in my 12 volt air pump. I will be making a 1 month trip to the west coast in july and will be doing alot of camping. I use the pump to inflate a air matress. I wanted to make sure everything is in working order before the trip. would it be safe to up the fuse to a 15amp, or would that create more problems? I pluged in my garmin and it works just fine. I also checked the pump in my truck's acc. outlet and no problems.
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
You could try popping in a 7.5 amp fuse.  I'm not saying you should, but many systems are built with some excess capacity.  Personally, I would be willing to try a 7.5A, and would consider a 10A fuse in a fuse socket rated for 5A, but would not be brave enough to go any higher.

Having said that, on my C14, I added 2 Powerlets wired hot to the battery and am happy with that.  Another cheaper alternative would be to hot-wire an SAE/Battery Tender outlet to the battery and use that to run the compressor.
I do have the battery tender wired to the battery. Maybe I can figure out how to hook the pump to the battery tender plug. Great idea!

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Looks like the pump is rated at 8 amps.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
The battery tender cable is almost certainly an SAE connector- one side is a male bullet and the other is a female bullet, both being molded into the same piece of rubber. The nice thing about SAE connectors is that they are all the same and there are not male and female connectors as there are with Gerbings connectors.

If the fuse on the battery tender is 10 amps or more, you could just get and install an SAE connector on your air pump to plug it in to the tender port.

Brian

I do have the battery tender wired to the battery. Maybe I can figure out how to hook the pump to the battery tender plug. Great idea!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »
Problem solved!!

I cut a length of old SAE trailer wire I had laying around and soldered it to the plug end of the pump. Quick and easy fix.
It's now a dual plug application. hmmmmm....wonder if I can get a patent on that?
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
Make sure the polarity is correct. From the battery the shielded female is hot. This means the unshielded pin from the accessary is hot.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
So would his pump suck instead of blowing?     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
So would his pump suck instead of blowing?     ;)
Did he buy it at a parts store or a toy store?[

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
Make sure the polarity is correct. From the battery the shielded female is hot. This means the unshielded pin from the accessary is hot.

Also keep in mind that with this "Y" configuration (instead of making an adapter) when using the SAE connector, the unprotected tip of the lighter plug is hot.  If it accidentally touches anything metal on the bike- boom!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
The far superior 08's/09's have a 10 amp rating for this circuit.    ;)   8)

:goodpost: :thumbs:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
Also keep in mind that with this "Y" configuration (instead of making an adapter) when using the SAE connector, the unprotected tip of the lighter plug is hot.  If it accidentally touches anything metal on the bike- boom!

The SAE connector on my battery tender has a rubber dummy cap that seals the plug when not in use. I'd suggest getting one of those and leaving it installed until you need to use the pump.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »
The SAE connector on my battery tender has a rubber dummy cap that seals the plug when not in use. I'd suggest getting one of those and leaving it installed until you need to use the pump.

All of your suggestions have been taken into consideration and acted upon. I now have a dual plug (and safe) air pump.
  I put a rubber boot on the lighter plug end, and a cap on the SAE end.
I'll be one happy camper come July...... 8)

Thanks for all the help