Author Topic: "4 Season" Jackets  (Read 14938 times)

Offline mikeb2411

"4 Season" Jackets
« on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
Hey everyone, is there anyone out there wearing a TRUE "4 season jacket" ... is there such a thing in the real world? I know there are jackets advertised as being "4 season" but a lot of them fail in temps above 90 F.

If so, could you tell me what you're wearing? I'm really interested in hearing from people that are comfortably wearing a "4 season jacket" in temps above 90 F. I'm curious to hear what's out there.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Dan Forker

Re: "4 Season" Jackets
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »
I have a Tourmaster Flex 3 Jacket and Flex pants. The jacket outer is waterproof and all the armor is in the inner mesh jacket. The pants have huge panels that unzip and make it almost completely mesh pants. The first time I wore the pants into an air conditioned auditorium I thought my pants were unzipped because of the air flow. With the outer jacket on the jacket is heavy but comfortable. Both parts are as comfortable as anything is going to be in 100 degree temps and with the outer zipped on it is comfortable in cold temps. I never use the quilted liner because I have an electric liner that I use instead below 35 degrees. Love the Flex clothes and don't understand why no other manufacturer makes a similar set.

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »
Hey everyone, is there anyone out there wearing a TRUE "4 season jacket" ... is there such a thing in the real world?

Yep, Tourmaster Flex.  It is the only jacket I own, and I use it all year round.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 04:15:30 AM »
I use a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 two piece jacket.  It has an inner liner of mesh and an outer waterproof liner.  I wear this jacket all year long.  I really like it.  For cold weather though,  I carry a Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves.  The outer jacket folds up into it's own carrying case and doesn't really take up that much space on the bike.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/458/Textile_Jackets/Alter_Ego_3.0_%5Bhybrid%5D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
Good stuff guys .... thank you!

I carry a Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves.  The outer jacket folds up into it's own carrying case and doesn't really take up that much space on the bike.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/458/Textile_Jackets/Alter_Ego_3.0_%5Bhybrid%5D

I also have the Gerbing liner and gloves. The gloves are overkill for me here in So. Cal. but I bought them because there are times where it will drop into the "teens" temperature wise where I live in the Winter. I bought them so I have them if needed. The Gerbing liner I use as my thermal liner whether I plug it or not, it is my thermal liner under any jacket!

Thank again!

Mike

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Again, all good stuff but I think I'm leaning toward the Tourmaster Flex. Both the Flex and the Joe Rocket are very similar in what they do but it appears the Tourmaster has a little better "venting" with the shell on and I like the collar a bit better. Plus, I have Tourmaster jackets now and I really like the fit.

I'm going to the IMS show in Long Beach in November and Tourmaster will be there. I'm going to wait until then and talk with their reps and try to find out if there is a newer version of the Flex coming soon. The idea of the liner being mesh is awesome and because the armor is in the mesh it will make storing the outer shell much easier. It'll be much better than having to switch jackets to adjust for weather and being able to keep everything with me for any condition is priceless!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
Tourmaster Flex here as well.

Sometimes I wear a mesh jacket and use my rain jacket if it gets cool, and add my heated vest for the high elevations.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
Tourmaster Flex here as well.

Sometimes I wear a mesh jacket and use my rain jacket if it gets cool

The Tourmaster Flex *is* a mesh jacket... and windproof/light rain resistant jacket, and lined jacket.  It is 3-in-1.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 04:33:51 AM »
I guess you could say the Joe Rocket I have is 3 in 1 as well as it has a fabric liner.  I don't really use it though.  I just carry the gerbings liner and use it if needed.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
The Tourmaster Flex *is* a mesh jacket... and windproof/light rain resistant jacket, and lined jacket.  It is 3-in-1.

Yes it is.  But, it is quicker to just put my rain jacket over my mesh jacket than it is to zip the outer layer onto the flex.  I am carrying the rain jacket anyway, so might as well use it as an extra layer when needed.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 08:28:35 AM »
I've got zippers?  I've never zipped it in.  It's never blown off.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »
Yes it is.  But, it is quicker to just put my rain jacket over my mesh jacket than it is to zip the outer layer onto the flex.  I am carrying the rain jacket anyway, so might as well use it as an extra layer when needed.

You are absolutely correct on that.  Installing the outer shell on the Flex is a PITA.  Taking it OFF is maybe 60 to 90 seconds.  But putting it on is easily 3 or 4 minutes and can involve some cursing :)

I will often just have a lightweight windbreaker with me when in mesh mode and if it gets a little cold, I will just wear that UNDER the mesh part of the jacket rather than fiddle with reassembly.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
I've got zippers?  I've never zipped it in.  It's never blown off.

The Tourmaster Flex outer shell *MUST* be zipped in at least the front and sleeves or it is 100% useless.  Pretty much must with the collar too.   Now, the insulated inner LINER, that is easy to get in and out, and I usually only zip the front and both bother with the neck or cuff snaps.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
So, I started another post for a specific jacket.

I'm looking at the Scorpion Yosemite ... anyone wearing that that you know of?

It looks like a good jacket with really good venting. I'm just curious how well it does in the heat so I'm hoping to get someone's attention that has worn it or is wearing it so I can get some feedback.

Here's a link to the jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-yosemite-jacket

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

elp_jc

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
I'm looking at the Scorpion Yosemite
I'm also looking for a new vented jacket, and that one looks nice. But after reading the first 15 reviews or so, it's off my list. Snaps break easily, front and back vents require REMOVING the jacket, thermal liner super thin (useless), back pad also useless (more $$ for the CE one), and rainproof liner ineffective. And 400 bucks? No thanks ;D. The idea of just one jacket like this (or Tourmaster Flex or Rocket Alter Ego) sounds appealing, but living in hot TX and being averse to heat, I need a dedicated mesh jacket. As long as it has a full-sleve thermal/rain liner, I'd be fine. Due to overwhelming good reviews, will check out the Tourmaster Flex, and the Rocket Phoenix Ion. Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you buy.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
I'm also looking for a new vented jacket, and that one looks nice. But after reading the first 15 reviews or so, it's off my list. Snaps break easily, front and back vents require REMOVING the jacket, thermal liner super thin (useless), back pad also useless (more $$ for the CE one), and rainproof liner ineffective. And 400 bucks? No thanks ;D. The idea of just one jacket like this (or Tourmaster Flex or Rocket Alter Ego) sounds appealing, but living in hot TX and being averse to heat, I need a dedicated mesh jacket. As long as it has a full-sleve thermal/rain liner, I'd be fine. Due to overwhelming good reviews, will check out the Tourmaster Flex, and the Rocket Phoenix Ion. Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you buy.

I didn't get much into the reviews but I'm glad you did. I'm leaning most toward the Flex but am going to wait until I go to IMS show in Nov to see if Tourmaster (they will be there) is coming out with a new version anytime soon.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »

I agree with the preceding post concerning a new version of the Flex. I currently ride in the Flex pants and a Flex 2 jacket and love them but they are worn and need to be replaced, but the Flex 3 jacket is discontinued which leads me to think that there is a new version in the works. I am waiting to order the jacket until it is clear what Tourmaster is doing.  My risk is that they are discontinuing the concept entirely and I won't be able to get the jacket at all in the spring.  The Flex line is my idea of the perfect riding suit.

Fork

elp_jc

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 01:22:18 AM »
Just looked at the Flex, and seems a great jacket. It's listed at $199 in several sites, with free shipping (regular price $239). The new Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion is great too at $179. Maybe the Tourmaster is the better buy, no? Like the outer jacket doesn't have any armor, so should pack relatively small, no? And the outer layer could be okay in rain with the windscreen. Don't like the idea of rain liners on the inside, leaving the jacket soaked for hours. Plus the Flex also has a full sleeve liner for even colder mornings. Hmmmm, maybe this jacket can be a 4-seasons jacket indeed. With 38 chest, I'm supposed to be small at 40, but do they run true to size? I'd get the silver one from either brand. Wish somebody had tried both. He he. To be honest, what does a version 4 could add? Maybe bigger pockets for the newer big a$$ phones, including mine. Don't think my new LG G4 would fit on those pockets. Great thread folks.

By the way Mike, I'd get the Tourmaster Flex3 over the Scorpion all day long man, even if they cost the same. But it's HALF. Your call buddy. Unless you're a brand whore (ha ha), this Tourmaster seems like 'da bomb indeed ;D. Good suggestion folks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 05:50:15 AM »
[Like the outer jacket doesn't have any armor, so should pack relatively small, no?

Yes.

And the outer layer could be okay in rain with the windscreen.

Also yes.  Keep in mind the Flex [outer shell] is water resistant, not water proof.  It does a great job at repelling light rain or short bouts of considerable rain.  But in driving rain, it is going to get through.

Don't like the idea of rain liners on the inside, leaving the jacket soaked for hours.

I don't either, seems odd to me.

Plus the Flex also has a full sleeve liner for even colder mornings.

Yep.  And, unlike the outer shell, it is easy to insert and remove.

Hmmmm, maybe this jacket can be a 4-seasons jacket indeed.

No jacket can really be 4 seasons if it is not heated, unless one lives in FL or similar  :)

I add a heated vest when temps are below 55.