Author Topic: Petcock kit install  (Read 19345 times)

Offline Mettler1

Re: Petcock kit install
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
    Let's get real here. We're talking about bikes that are 10 to 20 yrs old or older. Petcocks and float valves don't last forever. You're buying bikes that have been sitting outdoors and in barns. Also with rusted tanks and ethanol gas. Blame Kawasaki?? This is a great bike with a hiccup that can kill! My petcock lasted 18 yrs and did NOT leak. Don't know about the float valves 'cause the petcock has to fail first and then the float valves. How long are they (float valves) suppose to last with a bunch of crap going through the carbs.
   Don't want to put in over flow tubes because you might get gas on the garage floor? If it doesn't end up on the garage floor the gas goes into the cyl. Hydrolock when you hit the starter!!
    If you have a better and fool proof way to prevent that, tell us about it.
    Yes TCro a manual petcock is great for the perfect people that shut them off EVERYTIME !! I'm not one of them!! :doh:  ;D ;D

A man must know his limitations. 8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:28:53 AM by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »
Constant velocity carbs forced vacuum operated petcocks? That's a riot!
If thatvwas the case manual petcocks wouldn't work! And we know they do work.
I would rather have gas in the engine than gas all over the garage floor which ignites when you turn on the lights or the water heater lights it.
I have used Dell'orto carbs for 25 years and on bikes back to 1975 models. Never had problems with junk in the seats or the carbs flooding-and all have/had manual petcocks that may or may not be shut off.
And again it is a proven fact the vacuum operated petcocks are unreliable.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
Auto petcocks are very reliable and much better than manual any day  and any time and that is a proven fact.  I already listed the reasons above. You need to read more.
Manuals fail too and people forget even more. This is why modern  carburated  bikes are all auto now and have been for a long long time.
 Leave a manual petcock on with a leaky float valve and you will have gas on the floor and in the engine and always 10x more than an auto petcock  would ever leave in either location.
You are far better off knowing you have a problem with overflow tubes  than sticking your head in the sand and hoping you dont have a problem.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Summit670

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
With a vac petcock, just test it a few times a year by taking the fuel line off and see if it leaks.  That would offer some additional peace of mind.

Here is a question - when the fuel lines are full and the petcock off (manual or vac), if one of the fuel valves leak, the fuel in the lines and all the way back up to the petcock could trickle into the float bowl with the leaky valve. 

Is there enough fuel in the lines to pose a threat of hydrock?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:22 AM »
With a vac petcock, just test it a few times a year by taking the fuel line off and see if it leaks.  That would offer some additional peace of mind.

Here is a question - when the fuel lines are full and the petcock off (manual or vac), if one of the fuel valves leak, the fuel in the lines and all the way back up to the petcock could trickle into the float bowl with the leaky valve. 

What's going to introduce air into the fuel line to equalize the pressure differential and let the fuel flow out of the fuel line?

and Cholla - turn the lights on in your garage and ignite fuel on the floor?

Seriously, where do you guys get this stuff?  THINK ! Steve

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 07:21:20 AM »

If I have the fuel line disconnected from the petcock I don't know if there would be enough fuel in the line to fill the carb up to over flow into the cyl. assuming a stuck float valve. With my overflow tubes it would not be a problem other than a little gas on the floor. At least I would know I had a stuck float valve.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32:38 AM »
  Although there were some good questions on this thread and some good answers we are starting to get into the "what if" . It pretty much "is" what it is and unless something better comes along we'll just have to deal with what we have at this moment. 8)

I think I'll stay inside today. An asteroid might try to kill me today!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
What's going to introduce air into the fuel line to equalize the pressure differential and let the fuel flow out of the fuel line?
Ooo Ooo , I know the answer to that one. I sound like Horshack on Welcome Back Kotter.
  I had issues when I was testing  external fuel filters and I would get occasional  vapor locks. Air was getting in to the fuel filter but how? I would fill the filter with solid fuel ,ride and stop there was  air is back in the fuel filter again.
When I bought clear fuel line I could see it. When the float needle shuts of fuel flow only air is sitting below the float valve-- small bubbles of air where squeezing upwards past the seat and making their way up the hose and collecting in the fuel filter.

I can only assume that when the petcock shuts off the remaining  short column  off fuel does not have enough pressure to prevent  air from leaking upwards  past  the float valve.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
maybe a little Mike, but you never saw your fuel line completely empty into the carbs though, did you?

i think the migration you saw had more to do with the heated fuel in the line exhibiting some pressure from expansion. Once equalized, it would stop, not drain entirely down into the carbs.  Steve

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
maybe a little Mike, but you never saw your fuel line completely empty into the carbs though, did you?

i think the migration you saw had more to do with the heated fuel in the line exhibiting some pressure from expansion. Once equalized, it would stop, not drain entirely down into the carbs.  Steve
Your right, the fuel line never went empty. Just  air collection in the fuel filter.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 04:33:47 AM »
Steve-I am thinking. Gas fumes collect and a spark causes an explosion. The fumes are explosive. Seen it happen. How about homes with the furnace and water heater in the garage?
THINK!
And if the vac operated petcocks are so reliable why are we even having this discussion?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!