Author Topic: Snowstorm 5 Feb. 2014  (Read 15796 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Snowstorm 5 Feb. 2014
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »
Who do you think you are, Yoda.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
Maybe you're not doing it right?    ;)

True that...

About 15 years ago, I was living in North Bay, Ontario.  (Despite it's name. North Bay is just about as far south as you can go and still be considered Northern Ontario.)  Now Southern Ontario might seem like a wintry punishment to some of you southerners, but it's downright tropical compared to Northern Ontario.  I'm from the south (Southern Ontario  ;) )  and was working on a two year contract "back north" so, in an effort to fit in with the locals, I bought a sled - a Polaris Indy 650 (back then it was one of the biggest, baddest sleds you could get) and joined some guys I'd met on the local trails.

What a shock to someone who thought 'trails' meant a little path through the woods...   The trails up there are wider than some highways, and sometimes maintained better than some northern roads...  A trip to Timmins, from North Bay is about 4 hours in a vehicle on the highway.  It's 2.5 hours screaming through the countryside on a trail as wide, and smoother than a 4 lane highway...

Yeah - it was fun.  But I no longer have the sled, or the apparel.  I'm back *south* again and the snow and/or cold is once again my enemy.

*South....    LOL...  Gets me every time. It's downright fun saying that to you Texans and Floridians...     :rotflmao:

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
True that...

About 15 years ago, I was living in North Bay, Ontario.  (Despite it's name. North Bay is just about as far south as you can go and still be considered Northern Ontario.)  Now Southern Ontario might seem like a wintry punishment to some of you southerners, but it's downright tropical compared to Northern Ontario.  I'm from the south (Southern Ontario  ;) )  and was working on a two year contract "back north" so, in an effort to fit in with the locals, I bought a sled - a Polaris Indy 650 (back then it was one of the biggest, baddest sleds you could get) and joined some guys I'd met on the local trails.

What a shock to someone who thought 'trails' meant a little path through the woods...   The trails up there are wider than some highways, and sometimes maintained better than some northern roads...  A trip to Timmins, from North Bay is about 4 hours in a vehicle on the highway.  It's 2.5 hours screaming through the countryside on a trail as wide, and smoother than a 4 lane highway...

Yeah - it was fun.  But I no longer have the sled, or the apparel.  I'm back *south* again and the snow and/or cold is once again my enemy.

*South....    LOL...  Gets me every time. It's downright fun saying that to you Texans and Floridians...     :rotflmao:

Jamie

Hey! That's the same sled that I have now. A Polaris Indy 650. It's still a bas ass sled and will easily do 100mph. My sled is old and dated, a bit beat up too but it runs VERY well.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
This shoveling snow thing really sucks. You guys on the East Coast can keep this  :censored:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Who shovels snow anymore? Get yourself a nice little single stage 2 cycle snowblower, best thing I ever did for myself.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
Some clarification, who shovels snow anymore in a northern climate is what I meant. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
This explains why your not worried about riding through Utah in March.
;D
A winch WILL be along for the ride ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »
Ditto.
my Axial JK Rubi out for some plowing vids!!

Wow! Absolutely shocked that think can push even an inch of snow.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
We've had nothing but powder here this year and that RC plow would work quite nicely.  I could just see myself pulling up a comfy chair in the garage with a beer and chips on the side bar and then take my time to RC plow the driveway....   Excellent.  :thumbs:   Americana at it's best.

I like this one..   http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/roboplow-snowplow-robot-311

In the summer you could rent it out to the local LEOs..

And then there's this...

Remote Control 6WD Snow Plow Robot
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
This shoveling snow thing really sucks.

+1...

I just got done shoveling the driveway, started out with a tshirt, sweatshirt, coat, and gloves... by the time I was done I was down to just a tshirt and sweatin my ass off...  :o

That's my workout for the day, time to start drinking now.  :) :chugbeer:

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

+1...

I just got done shoveling the driveway, started out with a tshirt, sweatshirt, coat, and gloves... by the time I was done I was down to just a tshirt and sweatin my ass off...  :o

:rotflmao:
Get ur  :censored: in the gym.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »

:o :doublepuke:

Hey that's your exercise bike isn't it?  :-\

What did you do, let her sleep over? That's not how you normally roll bro...  :-\

;D :chugbeer:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
Tough act to follow.  :yikes:

I actually left Texas in late January with a trailer to head up to near Conrad country to buy a bike and bring it back to Texas. Picked it up and loaded
it on the trailer in between the two inch snow and the five inch snow and then left Chicago for Texas the day after the 7 inch snow. Plenty to shovel
and then re-shovel after the snow plow comes by and fills in the parts you just shoveled. Thought I'd never get out of there. The whole experience
brought back many unpleasant memories and reminded me why 100 degree summers in Texas just aren't all that bad.
When I headed north I didn't see much snow at all until I was at Pontiac IL. On the way back however, there was snow on the ground almost all the
way to the Red River. It was 62 degrees here yesterday when I was out washing the salt residue off of my trailer and car.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
I think you guize is usin' the wrong shovels- go to the shovel store and buy the one marked 'Honda' or 'Ariens' or 'Toro'. While at the shovel store, but a shovel fuel container, then stop at the shovel fuel store on the way home. Pour some shovel fuel in the shovel, pull on the cord (or press the button depending on the shovel grade you bought) and shovel away....

Sort of like how burning wood will keep you warm four times:

Cutting
Splitting
Stacking
Burning

:-)

Brian

+1...

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
My solution:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 04:01:59 AM »
I don't understand.  Where's the antenna?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
Who shovels snow anymore? Get yourself a nice little single stage 2 cycle snowblower, best thing I ever did for myself.

Since I find myself with plenty of time to do things these days  :) I haven't got the snow blower out at all this year. I've been doing it the old fashioned way and getting a lil bit of a workout whilst I'm at it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn