Poll

Vote to be part of the KIPASS BYPASS MOD by BDF

Vote to be part of the buy....
100 (87.7%)
Don't press this button.......
14 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF  (Read 191919 times)

Offline zarticus

• Arena
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
I hate to break the news but without at least 1 fob or passive fob you cannot program new fobs. You will have to replace the whole Kipass system which is big $. If the dealer figures out a way to program the fobs without replacing the whole system please let us know how they did it.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »
...and here I was going to try to ease him into it.... ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
Ok first of I just purchased a 2010 Concours on my Birthday Tuesday down in Lewisville Tx. Took it for a test drive and I love this bike, loaded it up on the trailer and headed home. Somehow, somewhere I was able to lose the only key fob that came with the bike between the Dealer and my Driveway. Took the bike to my local dealer to order another (new keyfob, with blank spare key, and the emergency fob and blank spare key for it) so now just short of $570, they had the parts overnighter and today they will program the new key fobs and I'll have the keys cut by the locksmith that was able to pick the lock on the pan to get to the owners manual (that luckily had the key number wrote in it). So I've heard that there is a bypass switch and I would like to order one can someone lead me in that direction please. Having a keyfob is great and all, but I don't want to ever be left stuck again if keyfob is lost or missing.

As far as anyone here knows, you HAVE to be able to turn on the bike's ignition in order to program any new fobs into the system and a working fob is required. If you don't have any means of turning on the ignition then you are screwed to the tune of around $1k or more.

As for the bypass switch, you still have to have a working fob (small or large) and there's no way around that.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »
How did you get the bike to the dealer?

Trailer again?

This ought to get pretty interesting...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :banghead: :banghead: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
If you have lost the last (or only) fob that came with that C-14 then the entire KiPass ECU will have to be replaced and the bike programmed to recognize / use the new KiPass system. This will be fairly expensive, something over $700 (at a high discount) for the ECU, which will come with two new fobs, and the labor to install the unit and program the bike at the dealer.

You need to have one valid, working fob to program the bike to recognize additional fobs. A C-14 without any valid, recognized fobs is quite expensive to 'fix'.

There are no work- arounds for KiPass available anywhere; my bypass is a KiPass activation switch bypass, not a KiPass bypass.

Best of luck and sorry to have to pass along this bad news.

Brian

Ok first of I just purchased a 2010 Concours on my Birthday Tuesday down in Lewisville Tx. Took it for a test drive and I love this bike, loaded it up on the trailer and headed home. Somehow, somewhere I was able to lose the only key fob that came with the bike between the Dealer and my Driveway. Took the bike to my local dealer to order another (new keyfob, with blank spare key, and the emergency fob and blank spare key for it) so now just short of $570, they had the parts overnighter and today they will program the new key fobs and I'll have the keys cut by the locksmith that was able to pick the lock on the pan to get to the owners manual (that luckily had the key number wrote in it). So I've heard that there is a bypass switch and I would like to order one can someone lead me in that direction please. Having a keyfob is great and all, but I don't want to ever be left stuck again if keyfob is lost or missing.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Somehow, somewhere I was able to lose the only key fob that came with the bike between the Dealer and my Driveway. Took the bike to my local dealer to order another (new keyfob, with blank spare key, and the emergency fob and blank spare key for it) so now just short of $570, they had the parts overnighter and today they will program the new key fobs and I'll have the keys cut by the locksmith that was able to pick the lock on the pan to get to the owners manual (that luckily had the key number wrote in it). So I've heard that there is a bypass switch and I would like to order one can someone lead me in that direction please. Having a keyfob is great and all, but I don't want to ever be left stuck again if keyfob is lost or missing.

You already now know the trouble you are in.... but I must say that the dealer should NEVER have sold you a bike with only a single fob.  It is the wrong thing to do.  Of course, many dealers have NO IDEA how KIPASS works and thus how important it is to always have a minimum of the two fobs that come with the bike.  If they are a Kawasaki dealer, they have the software/hardware already to program a fob, and for as little as $20 or something (their cost) they could have provided a passive fob for you to add to the active one you were given.  Ug.

Perhaps after you educate the dealer how much this screwed you, they will work with you to help correct the issue (maybe providing all the labor for free and parts at cost).  Can't hurt to ask them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »
You already now know the trouble you are in.... but I must say that the dealer should NEVER have sold you a bike with only a single fob.  It is the wrong thing to do.  Of course, many dealers have NO IDEA how KIPASS works and thus how important it is to always have a minimum of the two fobs that come with the bike.  If they are a Kawasaki dealer, they have the software/hardware already to program a fob, and for as little as $20 or something (their cost) they could have provided a passive fob for you to add to the active one you were given.  Ug.

Perhaps after you educate the dealer how much this screwed you, they will work with you to help correct the issue (maybe providing all the labor for free and parts at cost).  Can't hurt to ask them.

What the dealers should do and what they actually do do (ha!) are two different things. I think that we've heard of a couple of instances where the dealer had no idea what the passive was, other than a 'key holder' and didn't pass the fob on to the buyer. I think that one dealer was even reported to have tossed the fob in the trash. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline steveb19

Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF NEEDED I think!
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi
Posted a few months back about my 2008 going dead on me. Turned out main fuse/ starter relay and plug all burnt out. Suspected ignition switch so bought a complete assembly on flea bay .
Then dismantled old and new, put my receiver on "new" one (off a 2010 model) retaining the actual switch . Obvious,y this means I have an odd key in ignition but as never used it anyway reckoned I could get by.didnt think would affect kpass as it just mechanical.
However tonight I reassembled everything. Red light flashes on dash and I can turn ignition on if I manually hold down solenoid at same time.
Need to get solenoid to work and also. Fuel injection system doesn't prime when I switch on, so will not start
Any ideas anyone?
Would the  bypass kit a member sells overcome these problems?
Steve

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »
I believe your situation is caused by the ECU (the 'main' ECU) and the KiPass ECU not recognizing each other. More accurately, the KiPass ECU not recognizing that it is in the bike it is supposed to be in. What I think you will have to do is have a dealer, or someone that owns or has access to the Kawasaki diagnostic software / hardware, program the KiPass ECU to work with the 'new bike' (different ECU) that it is installed with now. Also, the ignition switch section of KiPass, where the key goes, and the KiPass ECU, which is under the saddle, are two separate parts that again have to be programmed to work together. Without that happening, the bike will not start.

So your problem is not really the solenoid releasing, it is the entire KiPass system not allowing you to start the bike because it has not be authorized (programmed) to do so in the current combination that you have.

Best of luck with this.

Brian

Hi
Posted a few months back about my 2008 going dead on me. Turned out main fuse/ starter relay and plug all burnt out. Suspected ignition switch so bought a complete assembly on flea bay .
Then dismantled old and new, put my receiver on "new" one (off a 2010 model) retaining the actual switch . Obvious,y this means I have an odd key in ignition but as never used it anyway reckoned I could get by.didnt think would affect kpass as it just mechanical.
However tonight I reassembled everything. Red light flashes on dash and I can turn ignition on if I manually hold down solenoid at same time.
Need to get solenoid to work and also. Fuel injection system doesn't prime when I switch on, so will not start
Any ideas anyone?
Would the  bypass kit a member sells overcome these problems?
Steve
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2016, 07:05:18 AM »
More accurately, the KiPass ECU not recognizing that it is in the bike it is supposed to be in.

We now live in an age where your motorcycle can have an identity crisis. Maybe service mechanics should start calling themselves MC therapists.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
Maybe but it is pretty rare. What is not rare is for modern motorcycles to rack up 100,000 miles with no (perceivable) loss in performance, no internal (Easy Boys!) engine work or actually any drivetrain attention, other than normal maintenance, of any kind.

A lot of people choose to remember 'the good old days' as better than they really were I think. True, new things are more complex but they are also more robust, durable and a far better value than everything that preceded them, at least IMO.

And all of this from the guy who offers the 'fix' for the only part of KiPass that I know of to actually fail.... pretty ironical, huh?    ;) ;D

Brian

We now live in an age where your motorcycle can have an identity crisis. Maybe service mechanics should start calling themselves MC therapists.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Maybe but it is pretty rare. What is not rare is for modern motorcycles to rack up 100,000 miles with no (perceivable) loss in performance, no internal (Easy Boys!) engine work or actually any drivetrain attention, other than normal maintenance, of any kind.

A lot of people choose to remember 'the good old days' as better than they really were I think. True, new things are more complex but they are also more robust, durable and a far better value than everything that preceded them, at least IMO.

And all of this from the guy who offers the 'fix' for the only part of KiPass that I know of to actually fail.... pretty ironical, huh?    ;) ;D

Brian

Tru dat! 72,000 and zero problems so far. Not even the infamous KIPASS failure. My brother keeps telling me his Valkyrie is the most reliable bike out there. But I have to remind him that between his 2 Valks and my Valk every one of them:

had clutch damper plate fail at ~50,000
had rear spline on the drive shaft fail at ~70,000
had starter butting fail every ~10,000 until installation of headlight relay

And mine also had petcock fail at ~60,000

The C14 is a remarkable bike.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
Well actually, I was speaking for all modern vehicles, motorcycles, autos, backhoes, etc., etc. They are more complex but at the same time, perform better, last longer and are more reliable overall. Certainly there are more complex systems that require more specialized repair / replacement than in the olden' days, such as electronic fuel injection vs. a carburetor, but overall, the entire vehicle(s) are more reliable. When I was younger, it was nothing to see strings of cars stuck on the side of the road during a heavy rainstorm 'cause the distributors were full of water, and very common to see a LOT of cars that would not start when it was unusually cold, often in mall parking lots and so forth.

I cannot speak for the Valkyrie but I do have the utmost respect for Honda products in general, and the Gold Wing specifically. A reliable, tough and robust bike for more than 30 years now. And I have never owned any Honda road vehicle in my life (I do have a Honda snowblower).

But again, from my own point of view, I do not miss in the least wiping out distributor caps, replacing leaking and arcing spark plug wires, rebuilding carburetors, trying to coax a little more life out of an automatic choke that is stuck (and never did work quite right from day one) and on and on. And that is just the junk sitting on the actual engine to make it run, not any part of the engine itself; dive in a little deeper (Easy Boys!) and a lot of the changes in how engines are made along with the materials (our C-14's have ceramic cylinder walls: they cannot be rebored or even honed but then again, the do NOT NEED to be rebored or rehoned!) and the change in not only lifespan but how well old engines run now is almost unbelievable. It is nothing to find vehicles with over 150K miles that not only still run correctly and very well but also are not worn- they do not use oil, make blue smoke, become hard to start due to low compression and so forth. Like I said, I do not miss the 'bad old days', at least regarding road vehicles.

Excepting '34 Fords, '67 Mustang fastbacks (had one in British racing green), '55- 6- 7 Chevy's and a handful of others.  ;D

Brian

Tru dat! 72,000 and zero problems so far. Not even the infamous KIPASS failure. My brother keeps telling me his Valkyrie is the most reliable bike out there. But I have to remind him that between his 2 Valks and my Valk every one of them:

had clutch damper plate fail at ~50,000
had rear spline on the drive shaft fail at ~70,000
had starter butting fail every ~10,000 until installation of headlight relay

And mine also had petcock fail at ~60,000

The C14 is a remarkable bike.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Well actually, I was speaking for all modern vehicles, motorcycles, autos, backhoes, etc., etc. They are more complex but at the same time, perform better, last longer and are more reliable overall. Certainly there are more complex systems that require more specialized repair / replacement than in the olden' days, such as electronic fuel injection vs. a carburetor, but overall, the entire vehicle(s) are more reliable. When I was younger, it was nothing to see strings of cars stuck on the side of the road during a heavy rainstorm 'cause the distributors were full of water, and very common to see a LOT of cars that would not start when it was unusually cold, often in mall parking lots and so forth.

I cannot speak for the Valkyrie but I do have the utmost respect for Honda products in general, and the Gold Wing specifically. A reliable, tough and robust bike for more than 30 years now. And I have never owned any Honda road vehicle in my life (I do have a Honda snowblower).

But again, from my own point of view, I do not miss in the least wiping out distributor caps, replacing leaking and arcing spark plug wires, rebuilding carburetors, trying to coax a little more life out of an automatic choke that is stuck (and never did work quite right from day one) and on and on. And that is just the junk sitting on the actual engine to make it run, not any part of the engine itself; dive in a little deeper (Easy Boys!) and a lot of the changes in how engines are made along with the materials (our C-14's have ceramic cylinder walls: they cannot be rebored or even honed but then again, the do NOT NEED to be rebored or rehoned!) and the change in not only lifespan but how well old engines run now is almost unbelievable. It is nothing to find vehicles with over 150K miles that not only still run correctly and very well but also are not worn- they do not use oil, make blue smoke, become hard to start due to low compression and so forth. Like I said, I do not miss the 'bad old days', at least regarding road vehicles.

Excepting '34 Fords, '67 Mustang fastbacks (had one in British racing green), '55- 6- 7 Chevy's and a handful of others.  ;D

Brian
Anyone who had the joy of having to set points on older vehicles will appreciate today's technology  :finger_fing11:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2016, 07:26:33 AM »
Anyone who had the joy of having to set points on older vehicles will appreciate today's technology  :finger_fing11:

Yep. Feeler gauges weren't all that "feelable" or precise, and I remember GMs attempt to employ the hex-key-on-a-flexible-screwdriver as a better way to set points without the feeler gauge. Of course, GMs rather ingenious way of putting the distributor in the back of the engine up next to the firewall didn't help...

But anyway, I for one am grateful for not having to sync carbs (remember that headache?) and while the entire "mapping" thing and how that is done is a mystery to me, that technology provides mo betta performance.

Of course, when those things go south, ya gotta dig deep into pockets to pay for the parts...
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
FAU BDF
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:51 AM »
Hi Brian

what would the cost plus shipping to the UK be please.

Alternatively could you share the part numbers for the connectors

Cheers

Mike
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

Re: FAU BDF
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
Last time I looked, it was pretty reasonable: something like $9 (US) as I remember. It used to be $27 (!!!) but someone woke up and added a little sanity to the international mail system of the US. Still, not nearly as reasonable as the Royal Post; I buy small items from the UK often because they are readily available and shipping cost is competitive with shipping costs internally (Easy Boys!) in the US.

I do not know the part numbers offhand but I doubt it would do you any good anyway because there are minimum order requirements and shipping from Japan is not reasonable for a one or two piece order. That plus the price of two crimping tools means making one harness is prohibitively expensive. If you want to do it on your own, I would suggest cutting and slicing wires directly, that is the way I did it on my own bike many years ago; in fact, that is the reason I offer the harness- because some people wanted the by-pass but were not comfortable altering the bike's wiring directly.

If you shoot me your postal address via e-mail I will give you an exact price for the harness including shipping.

Brian

Hi Brian

what would the cost plus shipping to the UK be please.

Alternatively could you share the part numbers for the connectors

Cheers

Mike

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: FAU BDF
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »
Last time I looked, it was pretty reasonable: something like $9 (US) as I remember. It used to be $27 (!!!) but someone woke up and added a little sanity to the international mail system of the US. Still, not nearly as reasonable as the Royal Post; I buy small items from the UK often because they are readily available and shipping cost is competitive with shipping costs internally (Easy Boys!) in the US.

I do not know the part numbers offhand but I doubt it would do you any good anyway because there are minimum order requirements and shipping from Japan is not reasonable for a one or two piece order. That plus the price of two crimping tools means making one harness is prohibitively expensive. If you want to do it on your own, I would suggest cutting and slicing wires directly, that is the way I did it on my own bike many years ago; in fact, that is the reason I offer the harness- because some people wanted the by-pass but were not comfortable altering the bike's wiring directly.

If you shoot me your postal address via e-mail I will give you an exact price for the harness including shipping.

Brian

CheersBrian,

email sent.

Can you calculate the cost including one of your Fuel level doohickeys as well please.

Have you ever considered a little something to sound an audible warning if your fob proximity sensor starts flashing?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

Re: KiPass By Pass Mod.
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:37 AM »
Replied via e-mail.

Looks like shipping to the UK is $7 currently for anyone else interested. That is for one or both products packaged together.

No, not working on anything regarding any fob warnings; it would not do a user much good anyway as that warning may not happen until much later, minutes or even hours, after the fob is lost anyway so an indicator would not help locate a dropped fob. The bike and the fob only communicate at very specific events and if riding down the road in the same gear, the bike will not 'look' for the fob- if on the highway (motorway in the UK I believe), the bike would not poll the fob for as long as the ride lasted, which could be hours. As the system currently works, there is no practicable way to electronically detect that the fob has left the bike (been dropped) unfortunately.

Thanks for the interest,
Brian

CheersBrian,

email sent.

Can you calculate the cost including one of your Fuel level doohickeys as well please.

Have you ever considered a little something to sound an audible warning if your fob proximity sensor starts flashing?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »
Brian,
After just finishing reading all 16 pages of the thread, I kept reading where several folks asked the question about when (what year) Kaw started putting the stiffer springs in.

Mine is a 2011 model. While mine has never stuck, (yet...) it has scared me every time (3 now) I've tried to set the switch to lock the forks (switch turned far left with forks turned left.)

All 3 times, it did not want to release afterwards! Talk about being stranded! All you could do is turn a very tight circle, making for a very short trip! Lol...

After a lot of effort, it finally released. One time, after it released, the stove knob literally turned all the way around 360 degrees! I thought sure something had broken, but it didn't.

So, needless to say, I don't use the steering lock feature anymore.
Suggestions of what could be wrong? Anyone else experience this?

But, my 2011's Kipass has never stuck. 46,000 miles now.
Don't know if that means by 2011 they went to the stiffer spring, or if I've just been lucky...?
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr