Author Topic: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle  (Read 13564 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Bicyclist vs. Motorcycle
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »
Have had some very close calls in tunnels and blind curves on the BRP with cyclists, hence why I am not a fan of them. Hi viz and a tail light should be mandatory for all cyclists, especially on roads like the BRP and Skyline Drive......it helps keep us all safer.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
+1 on that....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:45 AM »
+2

I have a stick on LED for the helmet and another on the back of the bike when on the BRP or anywhere other than the FL sunshine
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
In my opinion the bike rider may have taken the horn toot as 'I know you're there, we're both bikes, lets get through this corner and then I'll pass'.  Sort of a courtesy and trust between riders.  The moto rider betrayed that trust.  It wouldn't have cost him but a second or two to hang back but he wanted to be a dick.  Well he is one in my books.  Hope he thinks about it and loses a lot of sleep over it.  The chickens usually come home to roost.

Alternatively,  we are always talking on this forum about atgatt and riding like everyone is out to kill us...don't the cyclists have any sense of self preservation?  I hate coming up to cyclists on a road because they are as unpredictable as scared rabbits.  Pedestrians have the right of way when crossing a street but when was the last time you stepped out without looking?  Did you trust that guy who looked like he was slowing down but not making eye contact?  Self preservation! 
The cyclist who was hit maybe had to swing out to make the corner because of speed or road but maybe he should have hit the brakes instead and stayed to the inside and not trusted the moto rider.

It takes alot of trust to ride or drive our roads.  We trust that nobody does something stupid all the time.  Moto rider did somethig stupid and it cost someone else dearly.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
They recently passed some law in Ohio making it legal to ride side by side on a bicycle on roads. Its next to impossible to to travel down some roads on weekends due to back ups because many cars think you can't pass a bicycle on a double yellow line straight road. I like bicycles, I've got no problem with them being on the roads. But like many things and activities, bad behavior is remembered. Its very rare for me around where I live to see a bicyclist obeying the traffic rules that all on the road should obey. Stop signs? Forget it. Red lights? I've seen bikes many times ride through against the light at intersections. Speed limits? Nope. Courtesy? Your kidding right? I just wish they'd ride single file on a busy road thats all. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
They recently passed some law in Ohio making it legal to ride side by side on a bicycle on roads. Its next to impossible to to travel down some roads on weekends due to back ups because many cars think you can't pass a bicycle on a double yellow line straight road. I like bicycles, I've got no problem with them being on the roads. But like many things and activities, bad behavior is remembered. Its very rare for me around where I live to see a bicyclist obeying the traffic rules that all on the road should obey. Stop signs? Forget it. Red lights? I've seen bikes many times ride through against the light at intersections. Speed limits? Nope. Courtesy? Your kidding right? I just wish they'd ride single file on a busy road thats all.

Thanks for summing up my thoughts and my observations as well.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:37 AM »
I didn't read all the posts, but I will chime in anyway.  Most motorists are not educated enough about the rights of bicyclists on the roadways.  bicycles have as much right on the roadway as motorized vehicles (with very few exceptions like interstates).  People are supposed to pass by moving into the other lane when it is safe to do so. 

All those who are pissed at bicyclists on the roadway are just selfish persons who are thinking only of themselves. 

Out in the country we deal with bicyclists, farm equipment, old pickups, ancient drivers in ancient vehicles, etc. 

The only people I get pissed at are the ones who are breaking the rules of the roadway like turning left from the right lane, driving slow in the left lane, texting while driving, etc.

I would provide an anonomous tip to the police concerning that rider.  Nothing may come of it, but you will have done the right thing.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:45 AM »

All those who are pissed at bicyclists on the roadway are just selfish persons who are thinking only of themselves. 

Not true

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
In FL the geriatrics are more of an issue than bicyclists  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »

What about when you combine the two?    :o

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
Not true

For sure not true, it is a safety issue for me "and that includes the cyclist".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Slideways

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »

It's a safety issue that includes all of us using the roads. Okay so maybe it is legal to ride double file in some states, fine. However if the cycling community wants to promote peace on the roads use common sense (honestly why is it so uncommon?) and make an effort to share the road even if "legally" you have a right to do otherwise. On some of the canyon roads I bicycle on there are many hilly, twisty sections that motorists have difficulty passing on. At the first safe oppurtunity I pull over and wave them by. Doesn't ruin my ride anymore then it screws up the motorist to hang back for a moment while I'm getting out of their way.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »

NO way. I'm not pissed at bicyclists in general, but here in San Francisco we have a lot of bike riders running stop signs, stop lights, and even killing pedestrians and making jokes about it.
Too many cyclists with no care of the law here.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

It's a safety issue that includes all of us using the roads. Okay so maybe it is legal to ride double file in some states, fine. However if the cycling community wants to promote peace on the roads use common sense (honestly why is it so uncommon?) and make an effort to share the road even if "legally" you have a right to do otherwise. On some of the canyon roads I bicycle on there are many hilly, twisty sections that motorists have difficulty passing on. At the first safe oppurtunity I pull over and wave them by. Doesn't ruin my ride anymore then it screws up the motorist to hang back for a moment while I'm getting out of their way.

You are in the minority for that. And on another note, some of the clothing that cyclists wear should be outlawed.  :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »

You are in the minority for that. And on another note, some of the clothing that cyclists wear should be outlawed.  :o
Looks a little Euro doesn't it?  :pukeface:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

I had a brother that lived in Stuart for years. He stopped riding because of that.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:13 AM »
The bicyclist moved in front of the m/c. Whether he knew it is moot. Here bikes are to remain to the right, just as a pedestrian is to walk against the traffic and remain to the side. The m/c rider should have stopped after making contact but the bicyclist was at fault. Let's say it was two motorcyclists and one suddenly moved in front of the passing m/c. What say ye now?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:37 AM »
Looks a little Euro doesn't it?  :pukeface:
If by "Euro" you mean "stretched beyond the limits of what even Spandex should be capable of", then yes.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Slideways

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
The bicyclist moved in front of the m/c. Whether he knew it is moot. Here bikes are to remain to the right, just as a pedestrian is to walk against the traffic and remain to the side. The m/c rider should have stopped after making contact but the bicyclist was at fault. Let's say it was two motorcyclists and one suddenly moved in front of the passing m/c. What say ye now?

A bicycle is to stay to the right side of the lane as far as safely possible. Safe if the key word and and the cyclist has a right to the whole lane if he needs it. The motorcyclist involved here told me he could have chosen to avoid the bicycle but felt he had a right to the lane without having to alter his line through the corner. If you reread the first post this was stated there. The motorcyclist did not say to me in his telling of this the the bicycle moved over suddenly but that he felt the cyclist was aggessively 'defending' his line through the corn which unfortunately intersected the motorcycles line. I fail to see how the bicyclist is at fault here.

Fault aside my goal in this thread is to show some of the differences a bicycle rider experiences, especially at speed vs what a motorcylist experiences in the same circumstances. If I accomplish this then maybe some of you who read this will better understand what that cyclist may or may not do as you approach and are about to overtake them. A little understanding and maybe the knowledge will make for at little more peace on the roads.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:30 AM »
are we grumpy haters