Author Topic: C10 EFI Project  (Read 18277 times)

gpineau

C10 EFI Project
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »
This was supposed to be a bike for my wife's trike but things changed.

Its taken a while to finally get this to the point that it ready to tune. I have had so many interruptions and family emergencies that took priority away from this project. I had this built and running for quite a while but am just in the last month giving it the attention that it needs to move toward a bike I can actually ride.
The hardware is complete and working.

Now time for tuning.  One  of the problems I have with tuning is that there is not enough vacuum variations between full Idle and wide open throttle. So I need to generate a new  AFR and VE tables that are scaled to match the MAP in the motor.

I have finished tuning the idle tables and it seems to like the settings at 1000 RPM. I will need to re-tune idle after I have made the new tables.  Lot of work to be done on other throttle/load conditions. Wish i had a dyno in the garage cause I am not going riding in the middle of winter.

Here are some clips of it's progress.  https://youtu.be/aClwRT8BqTw

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: C10 EFI Project
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:48:13 AM »
The only one I know of that has EFI-ed the C10 is Rev Ryder.
He EFI-ed his due to the fitment of a Turbo.
Chuck is I believe still recovering from illness but seems to be active on the COG forum.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
interesting!  will order 2 kits from you when you get it done.  :D

gpineau

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »
Sport Rider,  I don't have a kit per say. I have lists, drawings, and documentation about how I did it. I tried to keep it simple and don't do anything exotic that any one else would struggle with. I think the biggest hurdle in the whole project was fabricating a crank position sensor.  Everything else can either be purchased or easily fabricated by "most" weekend mechanics.

I've seen what you can do on your cafe racer and can say you wont have any problems replicating what I have done.

Getting the mechanics and electrical is done and behind me. Now comes the tuning part which I am not an expert. I have done one other project like this but the hardware design was much different.

I will show updates when it is working well enough and the weather is warm enough to go riding.
This video shows a bit of the good, the bad....PM me if you want to see the Ugly.

https://youtu.be/R6w4ER7ydb4

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »
The only one I know of that has EFI-ed the C10 is Rev Ryder.
He EFI-ed his due to the fitment of a Turbo.
Chuck is I believe still recovering from illness but seems to be active on the COG forum.

He is not the only one.  Mine is naturally aspirated, no turbo.
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

gpineau

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
I think B.D.F. (Jim) has also converted a C10 to EFI. I got a lot of good advice from him when I started the EFI project last year on my Honda.

Meanwhile I am tossing my cheap Ebay Wide band controller and replacing it with one that I can trust. The one I have installed will read a certain AFR but lie to the ECU so that the ecu thinks the bike is running lean. I have verified this by scoping the output of the Wide band controller.  So I need to make a new harness for the new controller.

Also got the Cafe' Racer seat from China yesterday. It looks sweet when sitting on the bike by itself but looks  NOT sweet when you add the huge gas tank.  Not sure I'm going to be able to use it.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
agree on both.  looks sweet.  not so sweet.  oh well...it was an interesting try.

gpineau

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
Playing with the used side panels.  I think it looks good with them. I also think I will paint the tank again to match the panels.

If it't not too cold tomorrow I am going to  take it for a test ride. See if I can make it a few miles without a catastrophe. Hope I don't have to push it home. 

https://youtu.be/0qlYigRRfeM

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
so, is this bike now fuel injected?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »
yes
But it has never been outside the garage since I brought it home.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 07:50:23 PM »
yes
But it has never been outside the garage since I brought it home.
ok....
what ever.
I'm nutz. don't get it.

gpineau

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:52:43 PM »
Looks stock, don't it?   But it ain't. When I am finished I will do a revealing walk around.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:04:48 PM »
Looks stock, don't it?   But it ain't. When I am finished I will do a revealing walk around.

reveal your throttle body.
because I don't buy it.

:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

I'm saying, reallly, this vid is not really telling me you have fuel injection...
https://youtu.be/aClwRT8BqTw

ok
you win.
somehow the throttle position sensor was not showing any movement on you computer.
If you plan to ride, it's a heavy bike to push home... might want to decommission the air cut diaphragm valves on carb 1 & 4 also... as they are not functional anymore in this application.
have fun, ride safe,
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:20:26 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »
interesting!  will order 2 kits from you when you get it done.  :D

hide your wallet...

gpineau

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 08:36:23 AM »
please, no need to... I really have to be honest, and as a longtime tech savvy person, really dislike fake crap. Sorry.
reveal your throttle body.
because I don't buy it.
I'm saying, really, this vid is not really telling me you have fuel injection... do you really take us all for fools?

Seriously, no. Not everyone is a fool. Just you!

You so often scrutinize others work. You disparage me again by calling me a fake. You imply that I am trying to fool everyone.

For someone like yourself, “a long time tech savvy person” I would have though you figured it out by now but I’m beginning to think you are the biggest fool here. 
You like to capture images, blow them up and point out “important” details that support your belief.

But for someone that pays such attention to details I am shocked that you have overlooked so many blaring clues in plain sight!

In the image you captured you are pointing right at the throttle bodies and the throttle position sensor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:54:55 AM by gpineau »

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
I am guessing the injectors are in the carb throats? Using carbs to control air flow? Just a guess I guess.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

gpineau

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
kzz1king, Ding ding ding!. Good deduction and observation!

MOB,  How lame can you get....You asked me to show you the throttle bodies while you were pointing right at them.

Some other things you may have missed.

gpineau

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
man of blues, I have put way too much into this project for you to Pis* all over it.

https://youtu.be/Xuqw9u9Zw_A
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:32:48 PM by gpineau »

gpineau

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
man of blues,

And I see now that you have gone back and removed all the disparaging remarks you made to me. Covering your tracks? 

You called me "fake" and implied that I was being dishonest by trying to "fool all of us."

Your not only a troll, you're a dishonest sneaky troll.

So now no one can understand why I am so pis*sed off.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »
man of blues,

And I see now that you have gone back and removed all the disparaging remarks you made to me. Covering your tracks? 

You called me "fake" and implied that I was being dishonest by trying to "fool all of us."

Your not only a troll, you're a dishonest sneaky troll.

So now no one can understand why I am so pis*sed off.

No I saw it, just didn't have the time to react... I'll be quite honest if this pattern continues I will take corrective action...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010