Author Topic: need your help targeting good bike for price point  (Read 8218 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
need your help targeting good bike for price point
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Hey guys,
My brother-in-law is looking to possibly get a bike, thought I'd ask you guys for some input/direction on what bikes/models/years I should target helping him try to find one.

Some background on him and what he's looking for:

He hasn't been on a bike for about 15-20 years, prior to that he had a couple street bikes (one cruiser style, one touring style) I don't remember what they were but do know they were nothing special and probably late 70's early 80's era. Prior to that he had a couple dirt bikes and had also rode dirt bikes from an early age.

He doesn't need anything too sporty, but doesn't want something that isn't enough bike for him either.

He's about 6' and about 250 lbs.

He wants something that has hard luggage bags, trunk is a plus but not a neccessity.

He wants something fuel injected, no carb bikes (at this point), but I guess if we have to go down this road we will...

Shaft drive is preferred, but not a neccessity if it came down to it.

The newer the better, he wants to be able and ride it for commuting and some possible longer trips, doesn't want something requiring alot of wrenching or unreliable on longer trips.

He'll most likely drop it, so physically mint is not required, finding something with a couple scratches is fine by him, and should be able to save him some $.

He doesn't have much money, so price definatley comes into play here, it has to be something bought with cash, he won't finance.

He's got about $2k saved so far and my wife and I are thinking that if I could find him something in the $2500 to $3k range ($3500 MAX) we'd pick up the difference as a birthday present for him, he turns 50 this summer...

So here's were I need your help, you guys know of what kind of bikes fall into this category for me to search CL etc for?
Thanks in advance for any help brothers, much appreciated!  :grouphug:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:24:41 PM by ZG »

Offline blue14

• Arena
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: need your help targeting good bike for price point
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
buy new boots...you are gonna walk a lot....$$$$$ add 5k$ and you'll find a fuel injecteded bike

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
I was looking for a bike for a friend, similar situation with regards to experience. Locally (Cincy), I found a ST1100 Honda late 90s model, 27K and $5K asking price. Good shape and I would've bought it.

Also found a 2005 ST1300, 47K, same price.

There's never a ton of these available out there, but definitely worth looking for. An ST1100/1300 have a well-earned reputation for being extremely long-lasting with 130,000 miles on the engine not unusual.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
A 650 V-Strom might be a perfect fit.  Nice for taller riders.  Not too much power, but enough to have fun on.  They are already non-beautiful, so a drop won't be so emotionally painful.  I have a friend who is new to street riding (an old dirt biker) who picked up a slightly scratched DL650 and loves it.

An SV1K has a lot of snort for someone who has been off bikes for 15-20 years. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2004-Suzuki-SV1000S-98500880

How about this?  Add bags.

Thanks Blue, yep I've been checking out the SV's, definately a possibility.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
buy new boots...you are gonna walk a lot....$$$$$ add 5k$ and you'll find a fuel injecteded bike

If it was an easy order MOB I wouldn't have asked for help... As I said below, this bike isn't for me.

I know there are deals out there that I'll find if I know what to look for, I just need to know what models to look for! Trust me I'm a CL, tempest, and ebay whore... just need model year etc details to put in my sights.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
I was looking for a bike for a friend, similar situation with regards to experience. Locally (Cincy), I found a ST1100 Honda late 90s model, 27K and $5K asking price. Good shape and I would've bought it.

Also found a 2005 ST1300, 47K, same price.

There's never a ton of these available out there, but definitely worth looking for. An ST1100/1300 have a well-earned reputation for being extremely long-lasting with 130,000 miles on the engine not unusual.

Thanks JJ. My thoughts as well, the ST would be a great fit for him I think, I'm trolling for those now, if I can find one that's been laid down lightly that would be the ticket! I've never owned one myself but it has all the things he wants/needs.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
A 650 V-Strom might be a perfect fit.  Nice for taller riders.  Not too much power, but enough to have fun on.  They are already non-beautiful, so a drop won't be so emotionally painful.  I have a friend who is new to street riding (an old dirt biker) who picked up a slightly scratched DL650 and loves it.

An SV1K has a lot of snort for someone who has been off bikes for 15-20 years.

Thanks It, I did think about the V-stroms but I think he wants a little more "comfortable touring" type style than those. His dirt bike days were a good 30 to 40 years ago, I don't see him wanting to hit any trails or anything like that, so we've ruled those out for at least now on the search.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
Another possible is a Bandit adding bags. 
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
I'm a sport bike background guy, my C14 is the closest thing I've had to a "touring" type bike in any sort. (Yes, I know the C14 is just as much sport as it is touring).

What are some of the "Goldwing style" type of bikes? Sorry, I just don't know the model names etc to search for...  ???

I think most all manufactures made these "Goldwing types/style" of bikes with hard luggage within the last 15 years or so...

Any help please, thanks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
Anyone out there had one of these Duc ST2's?? Any comment?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2407046089.html

I also found this Bandit, but then it would still need bags... ??

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2401900349.html

These are both more "sport" than I think he wants/needs though and are carb bikes I think, but the price points are right and local to me...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
Anyone had one of these Triumphs? Appears they are fuel injected which is a big plus! Any comments good or bad??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/2408194598.html

Thanks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
Oh, and yes I am already looking at C10's too, even though they are carbed, most I've found so far though have alot of miles (of course  ;)  ) at this price point.

My best candidate so far is this one with low miles...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/2402102969.html

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »

Thanks It, I did think about the V-stroms but I think he wants a little more "comfortable touring" type style than those. His dirt bike days were a good 30 to 40 years ago, I don't see him wanting to hit any trails or anything like that, so we've ruled those out for at least now on the search.
NP.  It's hard to give good advice twice.  His loss, not mine. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 03:18:06 AM »
I think your friend (wink wink) needs to revise his parameters as what he wants is impossible at his price point.
His first thing to do is sign up for a MSF class.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:59 AM »
Oh, and yes I am already looking at C10's too, even though they are carbed, most I've found so far though have alot of miles (of course  ;)  ) at this price point.

My best candidate so far is this one with low miles...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/2402102969.html

Don't know the price but that C10 gets my vote. Looks good and still plenty of parts/accessories out there for it so he can join the Farkle of the Month club.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
I think your friend (wink wink) needs to revise his parameters as what he wants is impossible at his price point.

???  I'm not sure if you're hinting that this bike would be for me Cholla, it's definately not, anyone on here that knows my posts would vouch for my farkle addiction with my C14 that I just got this past year...  ;D

The bike is for my brother-in-law, my wifes brother. I want him to get a bike so that we can ride together etc, trust me he knows he doesn't have enough $ in pocket to get a really nice quality one, that's where my wife and I come in to try and cover the difference for his 50th birthday...

Thanks in advance guys for all your help so far, please keep the ideas coming...  :grouphug:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Just havin a bit of fun with ya. You see all the stories about how folks are asking a legal question or something along that line for "a friend".  All in good fun.

Although I did see an 02 Katana 600 here on the STL CL that had new tars, clutch, sprocket, chain, and INJECTORS for $2800....but I dunno about buying it...plus it doesn't fit the bill with bags and shaft.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2412292770.html
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
OK, I think I might be on to something...

Has anyone ever had a Kawi Voyager 1200 (ZG1200)?? Any comments on these?

From what I'm finding so far in research it's fitting quite a few of the points he's looking for... Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.google.com/search?q=zg1200+pics&hl=en&biw=1342&bih=556&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iCflTemYJo72swPXhJgW&ved=0CBkQsAQ