Author Topic: Do you know where this should be at?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Romonov

Do you know where this should be at?
« on: September 29, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
Hey guys!
During my last ride my brakes made a lot of noise and decided it was time for a deep cleaning-lubrication service, I even took the rotors out to perform a real good cleaning job. All went really nice, even painted some pieces of hardware and all; changed the brake oil, fully purged the lines and at re-assembly, I ended up with these bearings  :-[

I remember taking them out, but for the love of God, I can't remember where from  :-\

Does anybody know where they belong to?

Thanks in advance...
Romo - Nov, they both belong to family names...I'm not Russian though ;-)

Offline Summit670

Re: Do you know where this should be at?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
They appear to be the inserts which are on the front rotors and the bolts go thru them.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:04:58 PM »
I guess they should go in there...

Offline Romonov

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
I must apologize and disclose that mine is a 2012 abs model.
Sorry guys... I just re-read the posting guidelines
 ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
I guess they should go in there...

I don't think that is correct. However, it's not because of any special knowledge on my part, but rather for two reasons 1) the parts diagram doesn't show them there; 2) I can't determine what purpose they would serve there. At first I thought the same thing just because the number (7) was right, however I checked some of the photographs I have of my bike and those holes were empty. Are you absolutely sure they were left over from your C14?...and are they really bearings or more like spacers of some sort. If they are bearings, because of the large chamfers on the outside corners, they almost look like they are from some sort of track system. Obviously too small for a garage door track but perhaps from something similar? Metal filing cabinet? Have you disassembled any fidget spinners lately?  ;D ;D

I'm standing by on this..because I'm curious just what the heck those are.   :)

Offline Romonov

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »
Man!
I’ve reached the point in which I can’t remember what I did a few days ago, and I’m only 57
  :o
I normally make pictures of my disassembling process but this time (as it happens) I did NOT!
Thanks a bunch @fartmarty for looking it up on your pics.
I now am sure they don’t belong in the rear wheel  ;)
Problem is that the only project I’ve been working on for the last week is my Connie, and very happily, until these pieces came out at the end of the work!
I’ll keep on looking and let you guys know what I’ve done wrong.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
it really would help a lot, if you described in detail, exactly what you removed and did, before re assembling....

but looking at that photo of the parts, and looking thru the microfiche, and also having removed a bunch of parts and reassembling them from my C14 in the last 12 years... I have to say I have never seen 7 parts, of that nature, anywhere on this bike...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Man!
I’ve reached the point in which I can’t remember what I did a few days ago, and I’m only 57
  :o

I'm older and in the same shape..except it's hours now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »
Did you have your front rotors off?  If so and you only have 7 of these extra parts, maybe one rotor has them and the other doesnt. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
Did you have your front rotors off?  If so and you only have 7 of these extra parts, maybe one rotor has them and the other doesnt.

seriously, they aren't part of the rotor. ::) ::) ::)

do you own a C14?  If so, go look at your front rotors... if not, you really aren't helping him by saying these things.
 :banghead: :doh:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
:)

Before anyone posted anything, I had already looked at photos, thinking "where in the world could those possibly go- especially such a strange number (7)?"  I decided to stay silent and see where this went, because there shouldn't be any small bearings like that.  Brakes don't have bearings, and the front wheel has just the large/main bearings....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Romonov

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
Thanks maxtog,
I was waiting for your input, you are right in fact it is the rear wheel that the fiche shows, and 7 is exactly the number of wholes on the circular plate held on top of the hub dampers that once installed, faces the surface of the body of the shaft. It really puzzles me!

I’ve spent hours going through the service manual and can’t find these bearings anywhere; I am now thinking that perhaps the manual is an older version, since it was printed in June 2007, and I was hoping that someone with a 2012 model would be able to identify them, but MAN OF BLUES has already covered that.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »

I serviced both wheels, but seven is the exact number of wholes on the hub of the rear wheel, as shown in the fiche

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 02:06:57 AM »
I’ve spent hours going through the service manual and can’t find these bearings anywhere; I am now thinking that perhaps the manual is an older version, since it was printed in June 2007, and I was hoping that someone with a 2012 model would be able to identify them, but MAN OF BLUES has already covered that.

The early and late models aren't that different mechanically. I had one of each pretty much disassembled recently and I cannot remember seeing a part like that - much less seven of them.
In fact, I've looked in the bin that contains the leftovers of the one that didn't go back together and I still can't find a part that looks like that.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 04:01:33 AM »
The still look like part of the Front Brake Rotor to me.......
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 05:26:12 AM »
The still look like part of the Front Brake Rotor to me.......

Thanks @The Pope.
The ones you talk about are bobbins of each of the two floating rotors in the front, but they are not bearings at al.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 05:27:34 AM »
The early and late models aren't that different mechanically. I had one of each pretty much disassembled recently and I cannot remember seeing a part like that - much less seven of them.
In fact, I've looked in the bin that contains the leftovers of the one that didn't go back together and I still can't find a part that looks like that.

What have I done!!!!!

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 06:28:11 AM »
Well........ "could they be" from some other project (as in - not from the bike) that you had worked on and they were just laying in the general area where you placed the parts from your bike when you worked on it?

If not, just take one of them to your local Kawasaki Dealer and tell them you need another one of them for you bike. See if they say sure, here it is or if they say, that's not used on your bike.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Romonov

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
Well........ "could they be" from some other project (as in - not from the bike) that you had worked on and they were just laying in the general area where you placed the parts from your bike when you worked on it?

As a personal working rule, I normally use a magnetic tray to collect all the bolts, nuts, washers and stuff from the disassembling and there they where at the end of the job!!!!
But I might have mixed stuff up...now I’m starting to doubt...I’ll go to the dealer, very good point! Let’s just hope they don’t ask where I took them from.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
As a personal working rule, I normally use a magnetic tray to collect all the bolts, nuts, washers and stuff from the disassembling and there they where at the end of the job!!!!

Magnetic you say? Are you sure it was empty when you started the job?
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000