Author Topic: Nifty fuel hose clamp  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Nifty fuel hose clamp
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:30:56 PM »
$3.00 at the local Fastenal store, Google "Ideal 6B004V" for more sellers and colors.

A pack of 4 hose clamps, 2 each of 2 sizes, with a key for tool-less tighten/loosen.  The key is a tight fit on the square drive shaft but can be removed if you'e worried about tampering.  I'm using a dab of RTV to ensure it is always there on mine.

I thought it was a nifty addition with the Bergman Tank Quick Release to make a tank-yank a totally simple job.

But then, I'm told I'm easily amused  ;D

OOOPs, I run a Pingel petcock so I don't have a vacuum line to mess with ... fuel is the only hose on the tank with a clamp.   :thumbs:
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline anycleavers

Re: Nifty fuel hose clamp
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
Nice. I really dislike the little stock 'wire' clamps. What a PITA! I gonna have to get some of these, already did the quick release. Thanks
"Always take the long way home."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Well ain't those just spiffy. Neat idea, thanks for the inspiration.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
It may be worth noting that the wire type that come on the bike are designed to retain tension even as the hose yields to the pressure of the clamp.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
If you want a quick disconnect, why not buy one?

It's not like they're expensive or hard to come by. 

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
If you want a quick disconnect, why not buy one?  It's not like they're expensive or hard to come by.

• doesn't have the Luddite Seal of Approval
  • doesn't meet KISS engineering requirement (3 more connections, o-ring seal, highly proprietary parts)
  • expense is relative; you obviously don't squeak when you walk like some of us do

;)

(kidding aside, on another bike I've used a quick-connect similar to that shown by Brian, they are quick and they work great but they introduce a length of 'rigid bulk' in the fuel line that can require innovative re-routing depending on the application)
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline BrianM

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
lol, well putting a clamp that Requires a special "key" kinda fails KISS too.   ;)  And I squeak (only paid $1000 for my C10), which is why I reuse the OEM clamps....  just carry a leatherman with me to pull off and push on.  Mind you, I didn't spend coin (and WON'T) on any sort of "quick tank removal" kit...  never found a situation when I didn't have time to pull 2 10mm bolts that hold the tank on...  not one of those "need to get there FAST" places.   So I'll see your squeak, and raise you one more Mr Moneybags.

8)

I do think the clamps are neat, even stopped and glanced at some today in an auto-parts store.  They were lots more expensive, almost $5 for a thing of 4, under a different name too. 

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Fair 'nuff, Brian, I'll not raise or call, the pot is yours   :hail:

As for folks selling drilled bolts and cotter pins, I'll keep posting the links to tho$e, it helps me sleep after I DIY their 'intellectual property' with my shop scraps

::)
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750