Author Topic: Connie Camper - complete  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Connie Camper - complete
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
Back in December I posted about my Connie Camper - work in progress project.  As these things go for me, it has been an off-and-on project with some distractions along the way, but as promised/threatened, here’s the final project update.

The basic luggage mounts are unchanged from the conclusion of my original post.  The seat has been cut down to make a ‘Monoposto Russell Day Long’ and the space between the fender and the bottom of the top-case has been filled with a home-built aluminum tool / storage box.

From this side you can see one of the distractions that came up since my last update on this project … the bright aluminum lower link is my home-built item that allowed installation of a C14 shock but retained stock ride height.  Kinda clunky-square piece but it works great.

The key-locks above each turn signal hint at the tool storage behind the hinged plate and under the top-case.  The brake/turn lights are my old Whelen LED lightheads that I’ve had since 2005, slightly re-positioned (higher) with this new luggage setup.

The tool storage box lid raised and held with a bungee.  I learned during this project that the entire rear bolt-on subframe of the Connie C10 is aluminum!

The tool storage and all the stuff I’m carrying with room left over for lots more.  The box is 13”wide x 7”high at the opening x 18.5”deep.  The bottom has a stepped-slope following the fender as close as possible.  The Stanley bag is a perfect fit, holding a complete full-size set of tools for the C10, the other stuff is my Slime Pump and tire plug kit.  I’m my own mechanic and this will let me do from wheel bearings to whatever engine seal I need wherever I am found. (TWT = Two Wheeled Texans)

The front of the tool storage box and the original Connie helmet locks mounted to the front of the lower bags (reinforcing plate inside, of course).  I wear a 1-piece Roadcrafter (ATGATT) and with a cable through the sleeve and the chinbar of my helmet I can leave it all secure on the bike while hiking or crawling museums/galleries.  The cut-down Russell is a great seat.

The rig is narrower than stock, holds more gear (tent poles and chair are inside the bags), is rigid as heck, and there’s no way any of these bags will pop open in any circumstance.  The SKB bags have key locks, unlike Pelican brand cases.  Certainly not for everyone, the look is utilitarian to say the least, but it sure fits my solo camper needs to a Tee.   8)
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Connie Camper - complete
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Ingenious and brutally functional. Good stuff.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
...brutally functional...

Thank you, Sir, I could not ask for a more correct understanding of my objective.  :thumbs:
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline emjayw

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »
Alan, great job!  I really like the hidey-hole.........  gives me all sorts of ideas.  I just returned from Llano and Leakey on a 4-day campout and while my "stock" set-up did suffice,... I have to give yours the Ultimate Connie-Camper award.  Very nicely done.  I hope we can meet someday so I can bend your ear and get a real look-see.   Mike in Mansfield TX

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Nice setup.

Love those Pelicans.

With the top box and solo seat it's like a Silverwing on steroids.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:15:52 AM »
Very nice. Now you need to mount little air cylinders on your storage lid.  Traffic cams will no longer be an issue.  Flip a switch and your lic plate goes away ;) ;) ;)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »
Very nice. Now you need to mount little air cylinders on your storage lid.  Traffic cams will no longer be an issue.  Flip a switch and your lic plate goes away ;) ;) ;)

If one doesn't have that setup, but just a normal plate, Aerostich already sells a neat little device for that.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline squad404

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
Where did you get the headlight cover?

Nice job BTW.

Frank
1986, 30K miles.  Bought from a guy who thought fluid changes only applied to cars

Offline Centex

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
....  I hope we can meet someday so I can bend your ear and get a real look-see.   Mike in Mansfield TX

I'm at all CMRA race events working racer registration (www.cmraracing.com) and ride the Connie to some of those (I'll be Connie Camping at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit near Tulsa, 5/16-21).  PM  me if you can make a race and I'll assign my guest pass to you if it is available.   ;D

I also do the Two Wheeled Texan (www.TWTex.com) last-Saturday-of-the-month Pie Run when it does not conflict with CMRA events and Bob's campout for those.  We'll be at Garner State Park 4/27-29.   :)

....  Love those Pelicans.....With the top box and solo seat it's like a Silverwing on steroids.

The cases are SKB brand, not Pelican.  Much nicer latch mechanism than Pelican offers, easier to close and built-in key lock. 

Awww mannn, not a Silverwing on steroids.  Silverwing only wishes it could just take steroids and grow-up to be a Connie.   :o

Where did you get the headlight cover?

No headlight cover (heaven forbid - I wouldn't even put those on my Miata)  :-[ 

That's a dual Hella headlight setup from Murph's kits.  it is good lighting, IMHO, but I don't think I'd do that again considering the expense vs HID options available.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750