Author Topic: Canyon Cages saves another  (Read 17935 times)

Offline Riverdawg

• Guten Tag... Again
Re: Canyon Cages saves another
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 05:02:28 AM »
Hey Chris,

One helluva extreme way to tested a helicoil.      ;)

Glad it was just paint and plastic, not skin and bones.

Robert

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »
Yes! shout out to Ryan and MCE great product and well worth it....

I was thinking, there would be no damage to the bars if I had wrapped those parts of the bar with some kind of heavy tape...maybe black heat tape?

I have seen videos of riding schools where they wrap the bars on the big cruisers with pipe insulation and duct tape to protect the bars during the slow speed practice sections.  The only way to know where your limits are is to go beyond them a time or two.

If I rode where you ride I would paint the entire bike Hi-Viz green and have Hi-Viz helmet, jacket, gloves, etc.  Some blue reflector license plate holders are a nice addition as well.  Makes the cages wonder if you are a cop when they get the blue reflection back.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
Hey Chris,

One helluva extreme way to tested a helicoil.      ;)

Glad it was just paint and plastic, not skin and bones.

Robert

No kidding. glad I got that Heli-coil in there before I did this!

Seems the new fenders are not that crazy expensive...I can get it for around $150-160. I'll have to see if shipping kills it. Unfortunately I have the long fender extender, so I'm not sure I can pry it off and re-glue it to the new fender...otherwise that is another expense.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »
I have seen videos of riding schools where they wrap the bars on the big cruisers with pipe insulation and duct tape to protect the bars during the slow speed practice sections.  The only way to know where your limits are is to go beyond them a time or two.

If I rode where you ride I would paint the entire bike Hi-Viz green and have Hi-Viz helmet, jacket, gloves, etc.  Some blue reflector license plate holders are a nice addition as well.  Makes the cages wonder if you are a cop when they get the blue reflection back.

I've got lights to combat the traffic.  Front: A&R HID's, MM10 LEDs on the fender. Rear: BikerViz LED brake modules, License plate LED strip with run and flash on brake.  Once I get a new top box, I'll add LEDs to that as well.

I like the blue reflectors. I'll have to add those the rear fender....
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline Broz

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
Sorry to hear about your fender bender.  ***t Happens. Lucky you were not going fast.   Is the fender extender attached with strong double stick adhesive?  If so you could squirt some Goo Gone in between the 2 pieces to detach.  If I was going to reattach it to a new fender I would use some 5 minute epoxy. That stuff is strong, provided you want it permanently attached.

Broz
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
  If I was going to reattach it to a new fender I would use some 5 minute epoxy. That stuff is strong, provided you want it permanently attached.
Broz
Epoxy wont stick to ABS. You need ABS glue. YOu can buy it at Ace hardware. That will melt the two pieces into one piece.
I have seen abs epoxy but it is new and not easy to find.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
Epoxy wont stick to ABS. You need ABS glue. YOu can buy it at Ace hardware. That will melt the two pieces into one piece.
I have seen abs epoxy but it is new and not easy to find.

Currently the one on there was ABS glued, so i may not be able to get it off, but i'll have to see.
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Currently the one on there was ABS glued, so i may not be able to get it off, but i'll have to see.

Since you don't care about the fender, just grind off the extra fender material until you get to the ABS glue.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
To get off the subject a little regarding, Canyon Cages, I have been reading this Forum for a couple of months now, and am quite interested in purchasing a set of Canyon Cage
Bars for the front and rear of my new toy (new to me 08 in Silver Grey if that's the right description of the color) I have followed along with all the posts and the help that was given here in the design by the members, so I know they must work well.

Search as I might on this site or on the MC Enterprises site, I have not be able to find a picture of a 08 in Silver with the bars installed. I know that the Fairing bars must be "three point", but I still can't get a clear picture of them installed. I live in Canada, and before I spend the money, the shipping and more than likely the duty on them, I would really like to see a set installed on a machine, mainly how they are installed. I know bars are the way to go, as I have rode a BMW GSA for years and can really attest to the need for crash bars it you want to save money.

So to make a long story short, I would really like to see a good picture of the Bars on an 08.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »

Offline old jack

• RUReady
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
gPink  Thank you for the location of the pictures, I guess I missed page 21 of the forum. Now that I see how they are mounted I will be getting mine on order. Not that I plan on riding very far until next April, it's starting to get a little chilly right now and if (when)  we have our first snow fall that mean salted roads and salt just loves aluminum .

Again thank you.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2002 Honda VTX 1800

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
gPink  Thank you for the location of the pictures, I guess I missed page 21 of the forum. Now that I see how they are mounted I will be getting mine on order. Not that I plan on riding very far until next April, it's starting to get a little chilly right now and if (when)  we have our first snow fall that mean salted roads and salt just loves aluminum .

Again thank you.

Thanks for all of the kind words, gentleman! I'm glad to hear the Canyon Cages are doing their job. I'm going to work on a "rework" price for you guys on Monday. That way those of you who drop your bikes and want to get the finish fixed can ship the damaged side of your guard in for us to strip and repowdercoat for you, if any of you are interested.

Regarding your guards, old jack: Give me a call at the office anytime Monday - Thursday, 7am - 4:30pm PST or email me and I'll be glad to help! Our toll free office number is 866.886.2368 and my email is rnichols@mcenterprises.com. I can answer any questions you have as well as email you additional photos or the mounting instructions if you'd like.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the kind words, gentleman! I'm glad to hear the Canyon Cages are doing their job. I'm going to work on a "rework" price for you guys on Monday. That way those of you who drop your bikes and want to get the finish fixed can ship the damaged side of your guard in for us to strip and repowdercoat for you, if any of you are interested.
Regarding your guards, old jack: Give me a call at the office anytime Monday - Thursday, 7am - 4:30pm PST or email me and I'll be glad to help! Our toll free office number is 866.886.2368 and my email is rnichols@mcenterprises.com. I can answer any questions you have as well as email you additional photos or the mounting instructions if you'd like.
That's the spirit Ryan. A crash guard subscription service.  :thumbs:

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
And this is why I am so happy I bought the cages from MCE. Not only are they a great product that does what they are designed and sold to do while still looking great but you get world class customer service from very nice people to go along with them.
Thanks Ryan.

Caffienated,
Sorry about your mishap and glad you're okay.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 09:02:18 AM »
(new to me 08 in Silver Grey if that's the right description of the color)
silverdammit  ;D

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
That's the spirit Ryan. A crash guard subscription service.  :thumbs:

That's actually not a bad idea! I should have a rework price for you guys this afternoon. I'm thinking it'll be around $50 ballpark though. The way it'll most likely work is this: If you drop your bike and would like to get the bar redone, you pay to ship the guard to us (since it's not a warranty issue, it'll be up to you to get the guard to us), we'll strip, polish, and rework for you then we'll cover the shipping for the guard back to you. It should be as simple as that! I'll let you guys know once I have a firm price, though.

And this is why I am so happy I bought the cages from MCE. Not only are they a great product that does what they are designed and sold to do while still looking great but you get world class customer service from very nice people to go along with them.
Thanks Ryan.

Wow! That's extremely nice of you to say, Kinetic! Thank you very much and I'm glad the work we do here doesn't go unnoticed and unappreciated! Cheers!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »
OK, it is my turn now.  I knew it was just a matter of time.  After almost two years, I dropped the C-14 for the first time.  And not for any good reason either :(

This was going to be my coldest ride ever on a bike- 100 miles to visit mom and 100 back, I so pulled out ALL the stuff I have- acrylic long underwear, acrylic/wool socks, thick winter gloves, heated underjacket, helmet chin, heavy leather chaps, etc.  (Man it is hard to move with all that stuff on).  I made a CRITICAL mistake- I completely forgot to check traffic maps.

Sure enough, I was stopped by one of the typical, stupid, never-ending accidents at/near the tunnel.  The first several minutes were OK... then I realized I had a big problem- overheating.  All the electric stuff was off, opened shield, unzipped main jacket, etc.  But after 20..... 30.... 40 minutes, I was very uncomfortable and also wet.  I was zoned out a bit and was trying to adjust jacket or something and the bike tipped just a tiny bit too much and me with my short legs simply could not stop it and it fell, slowly, but without much breaking from me, on the right side.

I was unhurt but quite upset...  there had never been so much as a scratch anywhere on the bike.  Traffic was still stopped on the interstate, anyway.  I then tried  do to the "face away from the bike and try to use legs to stand it up" thing- yeah right... not at chance.   Before I could put too much effort into it, two guys jumped out of a truck and came over to help.  One guy said "what happened?"  I said "I honestly don't know, I just tipped over a bit too much" the other guy said "don't worry about it, I ride a Harley, this stuff happens."  It was quickly righted.  I was so wet and upset I knew the bike trip was out of the question, I used my emergency flashers and drove on the shoulder the 1.5 miles to the next exit and went home.  Waited a while then took the car.

Today I got a better look at the damage.  It is no surprise where it touched the two bars, as you can see in the photos.  But I am concerned that it did apparently touch the edge of the lower fairing- I don't think anyone has mentioned that before.  Of course, if I didn't have the bars, the damage would have been far worse.

Now I have to deal with my stupid decision of getting chrome bars instead of painted.  Maybe I can put a bit of clear paint or silver paint on the scuffed section to prevent any rust.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
That sux Max, sorry to hear it bro.  :'(   :grouphug:

Do you think it was all that extra weight from that massive potato laucher on that side that pulled it over?  :-\ :-X

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
Sorry to hear this. It doesn't look too bad. You look pretty sad in picture 2. The bars saved it a lot. It didn't hit the mirror?
I dropped the 08 I had twice in 44,000 miles. Before finally totaling it. I never dropped my 2010 at 38,000 miles.
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
Sorry to hear this. It doesn't look too bad. You look pretty sad in picture 2.

I had to look at the photo again to see what you were talking about.  I guess you CAN see me in the reflection of the rear bar, taking the picture with my phone.

The bars saved it a lot. It didn't hit the mirror?

Oh yes, it would have been much, much worse without the bars.  It did not touch the mirror.  Supposedly the only way it would do that is in a much higher energy fallover that would cause the bike to "roll over" the front touch point and land horizontally on the whole front Canyons.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc