Author Topic: “Low Battery” Display  (Read 2470 times)

Offline TAL2013C14

“Low Battery” Display
« on: June 22, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »
Hello Folks,

I’m seeking advice, wondering if it's time to replace my battery.

I have a 2013 C14 with only about 3600 miles.  I purchased the bike new in the fall of 2017, and since it sat on the dealer’s floor for four years, I can’t say how old the battery actually is.

If the bike is parked for a couple days, I get the “Low Battery” warning on my display.  It only stays on for a couple seconds.  When this happens the engine seems to crank over “slightly” slower and longer than normal.
The first time this ever happened was last fall, just before I was getting ready to put the bike into storage.  The bike had sat for several days.
I remove the battery doing the winter and plug it into a tender about once a month.

The display reads 12.0V on start-up and jumps up to 13.8V after 20-30 seconds.
While riding the display reads between 13.8V (idle) and 14.2V (moving).
13.7A is this lowest I’ve seen after initial start-up.  This was sitting, with the fan running.

So what do you think, is it time to replace the battery?

Thank you!

Offline kzz1king

Re: “Low Battery” Display
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:01:18 AM »
Now or when it dies on the road!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »
Are you sure that the low battery warning isn’t referring to your fobs battery? I’ve never seen a low battery warning that referred to the main battery, only the fob battery.
You may want to check out the owners manual...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »
Are you sure that the low battery warning isn’t referring to your fobs battery? I’ve never seen a low battery warning that referred to the main battery, only the fob battery.

^^^ This.  I don't think I have seen a "low battery" message on the bike in any other context except the active FOB or the tire pressure sensors [update- there is, indeed such a message, see followup posting, below].  To the OP:  When last did you replace the battery in the FOB?  They typically only last about 2 years.

Of course, based on symptoms reported, he could be having issues with both the FOB and the starter battery.  Pay no attention to the "Battery" voltage with the engine running- that tells you nothing about the battery, but the voltage of the alternator, mediated by the battery.  And it doesn't tell you as much as you might think when not started, either.  You can't really tell the overall condition of the battery based on voltage at rest, it must have a significant load on it.  The best test is removing the battery and placing it on a large tester that will charge it completely, let it rest several hours, then throw a huge load on it and measure the voltage and amerage at that load.  That said, if you were getting 12.0V BEFORE starting the bike, on a battery that is supposedly fully charged, then you certainly have a bad battery.  12.0 = less than a 25% charge on a lead-acid battery.

The Concours is very picky/particular about battery condition and battery connections and frame grounds being clean.  Based on many years of watching this forum, I would guess that 90% of all electrical problems and strange behavior are based on those factors.  I have experienced it, myself.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:52:01 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »
According to the manual, you should charge the battery if it is between 12-12.6 volts. Not all battery tenders are necessarily good chargers so you might look into that. It might just never be getting fully charged. It should be at least 12.6 volts after charging.

I do think there is a "low battery" message for the battery. It shows an icon that looks like the main battery.  I am pretty sure that I saw that message.

I think the key fob says transponder battery low. The display for that looks like a AA battery.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Interesting.  It is, indeed, in the owner's manual:

"When the battery voltage low, the battery warning message "LOW BATTERY" and the battery warning symbol are displayed alternately in the multi-function meter. If the warning message and warning symbol are displayed, charge the battery. Refer to the "BATTERY Charging" item of the Battery section."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
Thank you everyone.

Looking through the manual, there's an icon for the FOB battery and for the main battery.

Given the symptoms, and given I have no idea how old the main battery actually is, I'm going to buy a new battery.

And I changed the FOB battery.  It was also original to the bike.

Thanks again!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 07:12:07 PM »
So I respnded to a post on the "other forum", and I'm assuming it is the same person here posting and asking.. here is my response, copy/past, from the "other forum"..

Quote from: Tim on Today at 07:55:47 am
Hello Folks,

I’m seeking advice, wondering if it's time to replace my battery.

I have a 2013 C14 with only about 3600 miles.  I purchased the bike new in the fall of 2017, and since it sat on the dealer’s floor for four years, I can’t say how old the battery actually is.

If the bike is parked for a couple days, I get the “Low Battery” warning on my display.  It only stays on for a couple seconds.  When this happens the engine seems to crank over “slightly” slower and longer than normal.
The first time this ever happened was last fall, just before I was getting ready to put the bike into storage.  The bike had sat for several days.
I remove the battery doing the winter and plug it into a tender about once a month.

The display reads 12.0V on start-up and jumps up to 13.8V after 20-30 seconds.
While riding the display reads between 13.8V (idle) and 14.2V (moving).
13.7A is this lowest I’ve seen after initial start-up.  This was sitting, with the fan running.

So what do you think, is it time to replace the battery?

Thank you!

From your post, I think you should hold off on "buying anything"...
Your bike is only shy of being "2 years into the factory warranty"... which is 36 months.
With that said, and knowing Kaw, go back to that dealership, and speak with the "owner" first, then, you and the "owner" speak with the head of the repairs and tech, onsite.

clearly this should not fall upon you, to expend any $$ to make it right. Nonsense.  I realize it's an older bike, but it was sold as "new" when purchased, and should be expected to perform as new... I also realize Kaw does not specifically warranty a battery, but a battery in a new bike, sold as new, should be new.

In '08 and '09, kaw actually would replace "defective" batteries, as at that time, they had some issues with them "gassing" off thru a poor seal around the positive battery post. Same thing, it's expected to get you thru a full 36 months, of normal usage and storage. also, I suggeest you apply for the extended KPP plan we have "stickied" up here, thru Ultimate Cycle, in Richmond Va., do it before your current one expires.... best of luck,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Looking through the manual, there's an icon for the FOB battery and for the main battery.

Given the symptoms, and given I have no idea how old the main battery actually is, I'm going to buy a new battery.

And I changed the FOB battery.  It was also original to the bike.

Thanks again!

I stand corrected.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
That said, if you were getting 12.0V BEFORE starting the bike, on a battery that is supposedly fully charged, then you certainly have a bad battery.  12.0 = less than a 25% charge on a lead-acid battery.

Interesting data point.  Last night, took bike off trickle charger (which it had been on for days, so there is presumably a perfect charge), rode it to friends 30 miles away, mostly interstate speeds.  Had dinner and stuff while bike sat.  3 hours later, I turned the key and did NOT start it and read the dashboard voltage display.  It was 12.3v.  Let it sit there a few minutes with all the accessory lights and CPU on and such, no change.

12.3v is something like 63% charged on a "normal" lead-acid battery.  This was a surprising result.  Rode it home, turned it off, then let it sit only a minute, turned ignition on and checked voltage again with it not running.  12.3v.  Just as surprising, although at least consistent.  Let it stay that way a few minutes and then it went to 12.2!  If I can remember, I will take a multimeter with me next time and repeat the test, and check it with the meter, also.... because this just doesn't seem correct to me at all....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
Replace the battery.  The big one, not the one in the fob... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
Interesting data point.  Last night, took bike off trickle charger (which it had been on for days, so there is presumably a perfect charge), rode it to friends 30 miles away, mostly interstate speeds.  Had dinner and stuff while bike sat.  3 hours later, I turned the key and did NOT start it and read the dashboard voltage display.  It was 12.3v.  Let it sit there a few minutes with all the accessory lights and CPU on and such, no change.

12.3v is something like 63% charged on a "normal" lead-acid battery.  This was a surprising result.  Rode it home, turned it off, then let it sit only a minute, turned ignition on and checked voltage again with it not running.  12.3v.  Just as surprising, although at least consistent.  Let it stay that way a few minutes and then it went to 12.2!  If I can remember, I will take a multimeter with me next time and repeat the test, and check it with the meter, also.... because this just doesn't seem correct to me at all....

I've done a similar thing. Tested the battery with the onboard display, found it to be 'low' (12.3) and then tested the battery with a DMM. My meter said 12.7.

Offline chap

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »

Yes there is a Low Battery warning. I got it a couple of years back. Took the battery in and tested with a shorted cell. Replaced and now all good. I wouldn't take a chance of getting stranded, especially when the bike is warning of an issue.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
I've done a similar thing. Tested the battery with the onboard display, found it to be 'low' (12.3) and then tested the battery with a DMM. My meter said 12.7.

OK, I will confirm it with mine this weekend, unless I forget.  Either outcome is troubling.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
I had that warning a few months ago. Put battery on a tender to no avail. Then got around to load testing the battery and it was bad, so bought a new battery. You don't want a dead battery when on the road. This bike does not function well on a dying battery. I recommend taking this warning display as an indicator of a dying battery (not fob battery, as mentioned above; there is a different warning for low fob battery).
2010 C14 ABS