Author Topic: TPS "----", not battery  (Read 3961 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: TPS "----", not battery
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
TPS still intermittent.  What is interesting is that it will sometimes show a pressure at the start of a ride, then disappear and stay gone the whole trip, then suddenly appear again right when I reach my destination.  Has to be something with the inertial sensor.

A week ago I called and talked to the dealer service manager about the TPS.  I Emailed him several photos of the dash, showing the odo, the "---" for the front pressure and the rear pressure showing normally.  He made a claim to Kawasaki, no prob.  Part arrived a few days ago and I took it in today, along with two new tires.  Warranty pays to mount/balance the front (since they have to do that regardless to replace the sensor).  So I only had to pay for rear ($74 total).

Left the dealer and had pressures showing immediately and the whole way home.  Hopefully that will continue!  I am really bummed that my 9 years of warranty are ending in a few months.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »
TPS still intermittent.  What is interesting is that it will sometimes show a pressure at the start of a ride, then disappear and stay gone the whole trip, then suddenly appear again right when I reach my destination.  Has to be something with the inertial sensor.

A week ago I called and talked to the dealer service manager about the TPS.  I Emailed him several photos of the dash, showing the odo, the "---" for the front pressure and the rear pressure showing normally.  He made a claim to Kawasaki, no prob.  Part arrived a few days ago and I took it in today, along with two new tires.  Warranty pays to mount/balance the front (since they have to do that regardless to replace the sensor).  So I only had to pay for rear ($74 total).

Left the dealer and had pressures showing immediately and the whole way home.  Hopefully that will continue!  I am really bummed that my 9 years of warranty are ending in a few months.

Do you have LED lights installed?  Someone else reported their LED lights interfered with the signal from the sensors. I read about it in an unnamed forum.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
Do you have LED lights installed?  Someone else reported their LED lights interfered with the signal from the sensors. I read about it in an unnamed forum.  ;)

Interesting.  Yes, I replaced the HID lights with LED.  But I did that way back in 03-2017 (2.5 years ago).  Presumably, if it were going to interfere, it would have done so long before it started, and would do so again after the sensor was replaced.  I only have about 50 miles so far, so I can't be 100% sure the problem is completely resolved (it is raining all day today, so all I had was a short trip yesterday).  But I noticed I was getting a reading from the front across all 3 starts, something I have not seen in a long time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
I too have had this intermitten problem the last couple of year and it very well could have started about the time I installed the LED headlights. Never really thought about that before.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 03:01:14 PM »
I too have had this intermitten problem the last couple of year and it very well could have started about the time I installed the LED headlights. Never really thought about that before.

It is a plausible theory.  Some electronics can generate copious amounts of RFI, especially if not designed well.  And every headlight kit and electronic gadget is different.

Just remember, in my case, I had no problems at all for years with my front TPS and my particular LED headlights.  I  am almost positive it was a bad TPS.  Won't know for sure until I have several more rides.  Since I am in a maintenance mode and it has been very rainy, it might be a while before I can post confidently that it is fixed (and with no relation to the headlights), but I place the odds at about 98% sure right now.