Author Topic: LED Driving light  (Read 45989 times)

Offline Armyguns

LED Driving light
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
Just installed these last night:

http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/34

I got them as part of a group buy through one of the other bike forums.  By the time I was done last night I didn't get any road time with them, but they absolutely LIT UP my 400 foot driveway. 

They are mounted on my MC Enterprises "handicap' front bars, controlled off of a thumb operated toggle switch mounted under the left grip.

I'm headed to Hagerstown, MD (from NJ) in about an hour from now to take the Total Control Clinic tonight/tomorrow.  I'll be playing with the lights to gauge cagers reactions. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: LED Driving light
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »
I wonder how these compare to the Clearwater lights? They are way cheaper, that's for sure. The mounting bracket doesn't look all that strong, can you comment on your thoughts on that? Or is the bracket different than what is shown in that link?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »
Hi
Can you share pictures and price ?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
Funny, I posted here and shortly after, I got an e-mail from a guy running an ebay store selling those same LED lights....
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:34:14 AM »
do you have ebay store link so that we can check thr lights feedback by other users

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
do you have ebay store link so that we can check thr lights feedback by other users

Here is the link for the ones we would be interested in:
http://stores.ebay.com/24x7-DIY/Bike-Light-/_i.html?_fsub=1549833010&_sid=996616520&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
Scott

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
Just finished a 170 mile highway run with the lights on the whole way.  For those cages that were going to move over, they did it sooner than experience shows when not running with the lights on.  The cages that didn't move...well, I don't think anything short of flashing red and blue would get them to move. 

The brackets are a bit wimpy, but these are not heavy lights.  The way I have them mounted- pictures to follow when I get back from this trip- seems to have worked fine.  The lights have not moved left-right or up-down. 

These are VERY WHITE lights.  I didn't realize how white they were last night.  Today, when I pulled up behind one of those 'mirrored' tractor-trailers I could clearly see the beam as compared to the stock headlight.  These made the stock headlights look very yellow. 

The price through the group buy was $145.  For that money, I'm sorry I didn't grab a second pair. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
Pics of your mounting location?

I still think that if they want to sell to the motorcycle community, they might want to make some brackets that are a little beefier. I understand what you are saying about them not being heavy, but it doesn't take much to design and manufacture some heavier gauge brackets.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »
Just installed these last night:

http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/34

They look interesting, but I am automatically skeptical when I see the term "HID" misused like they did.  But yes, even the good LED's are still more "blue".  And I, too, would love to see pictures.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Just finished a 170 mile highway run with the lights on the whole way. 

You were blinding all oncoming traffic?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

ang

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Has the group buy finished?

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
You were blinding all oncoming traffic?

This run was all multi-lane divided highway so on-coming traffic wasn't a problem, plus it was daylight.  I can say that having the lights on sure made same direction traffic ahead of me NOTICE me sooner and move out of the way sooner.  It will be a couple of days before I am riding where on-coming traffic reaction can be evaluated.   I know running them at night with on-coming traffic isn't going to be possible.  Too bright. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
Has the group buy finished?

Unfortunately, yes. But if someone wants to set up another thru this forum I could probably get the info from the guy who did it on the other one. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
They look interesting, but I am automatically skeptical when I see the term "HID" misused like they did.  But yes, even the good LED's are still more "blue".  And I, too, would love to see pictures.

I will be taking pics when I get home- probably not until Sunday.  I'm out of town taking the ARC class.  Only three of us in the class so student-instructor ratio is 3-1!  Can't ask for better than that. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »

Offline m919

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »
Can you show some pics of the lights on your bike? I have been wanting to install some myself but it needs to look good. thanks
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »
these are same Lights http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.186376344743991.46861.120081598040133&l=204bcd3b5c

I found on Facebook

Those appear to be the same as what I just installed.   The ARC instructor I was with last night qnd today, Tracy Martin, has a set of the Clearwater lights on his bike so we compared side by side.  The four bulb 1800 lumin lights I have are way brighter.  Clearwater has a big advantage now that I see the two side by side, but the difference is their wiring, not with the light output.   Clearwater's supplied wiring harness include a dimming pot and relay.  The way Tracy has his wired is that the LEDs come on with the headlight, but he adjusts the intensity down with the pot so they can be on all the time, day and night.  When he switches his high beam on, the LEDs automatically go to full bright.  Turning the high beam off, reduces the LEDs back to the less than full bright setting.  This is a big advantage, but I don't think it is worth another $300 bucks.

Hoping I could perhaps buy the pot for brightness adjustment from Clearwater I checked out their site.  First if doesn't appear they sell just the pot.  Even if they did, the wiring diagrams they have up shows each of their LED's have three wires, where mine have just two.  Apparently their third wire is what makes the dimming action work with the relay. 

For the money, I'm satisfied with what I have, but I can't say I wouldn't really like to have the flexibility of the Clearwater setup.

BTW- despite a lot of the ARC class being conducted in the rain, we had a BLAST.  Only three bikes, so we got lots of practice.   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
I am planning to buy it.
any body interested in group buy ?
please PM me

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
I would be outside taking night pics of the lights right now if it wasn't pouring down rain.  I took these earlier today between downpours. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »
I have these hooked up to a switched lead from my aux fuze block.  I installed a simple on-off toggle switch in a Radio Shack 'hobby box' and used heavy duty hook and loop strips (velcro) to fasten the box under the left handgrip.  I can easily flick the switch with the thumb of my left hand.  Forward is OFF (push off). 

I still want to experiment with tying into the high beam circuit with a relay so they come on with the highbeams.  I think I found an on-line source for a "pot" to be able to turn down the brightness.  As I sort it all out, I'll post additional info if anyone wants it.
2010 C14 ABS