Author Topic: Living in the South With A Motorcycle.....  (Read 1794 times)

Offline sport rider

Living in the South With A Motorcycle.....
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
offers lots more riding!

first work day of the new year.  about 57 high here in Charlotte and was about 50 when I RODE to work.   ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Living in the South With A Motorcycle.....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
offers lots more riding!

Indeed.  Sometimes I do wish I had more riding weather, like you do more southward, or way westward.  But living in the Mid Atlantic isn't too bad, especially when I see how much worse it is up north!  At least we have full seasons here, which can be pretty.  Yet in the summer upper 90's with high humidity I am praying for colder, and in the winter with 20's and 30's (or worse) I am praying for warmer.  So is it balanced?  Or the worst of both worlds?  The grass is always greener...

Here in VA I tend to try and ride year-round, but when it is in the 20's and low 30's, I just can't handle it.  The coldest I can stand, sustained, with ALL my best/heaviest gear and heated vest on maximum, is probably around 34F.  But, near the coast (like I am), it tends to be wet and windy in the winter, making it that much worse.  And when the slightest hint of ice comes, it is absolutely a NO WAY.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:03:30 PM »
I'll ride in any temp as long as the sun is out and it hasn't snowed recently.....and the Indian starts.  It hates cold weather below 40 degrees.  The C14 didn't care.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:48:54 PM »
I don't care if the sun is out or not, although the solar gain can be helpful when the ambient temperature is low.  And yes, the C14 really doesn't care about any weather condition, it can tolerate way, way, way more than I ever can/could.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:56:07 AM »
Sun makes a big difference for me as far as heat gain goes.  It can be 50 out and cloudy and I just can't get warm.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
When I lived in Hanover Va., didn't really care to much for riding the C10 in the really cold stuff, but the weather seemed to be somewhat mild even thru winter, and with heated gear, not too bad...so I rode pretty much whenever I could. when I got the C14 in '07, the only thing that kept me from riding all the time was ice on the roads.. Playing ADV Tag-O-Rama at the time had me venturing out all over the place, day and night, many times in the 20*s if it was dry... funny, the C10 had much better wind protection, I just fell prey to the "new bike syndrome"...
Here in Ohio, once the first snow falls, and they spray the "battery acid/de-icer" on the roads... I don't ride till it's washed off the roads in the spring... nice weather or not...
That stuff eats aluminum terribly.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
I'll ride in any temp as long as the sun is out and it hasn't snowed recently.....and the Indian starts.  It hates cold weather below 40 degrees.  The C14 didn't care.

I was gonna say your comment makes that "funny thing happened on the way to the forum..." less funny.

And yeah let's go with that ... cuz I wouldn't want you thinking anybody is laughing at your new motorcycle not starting just cuz it's chilly :-X

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 04:31:16 AM »
... cuz I wouldn't want you thinking anybody is laughing at your new motorcycle not starting just cuz it's chilly :-X
snicker ..snicker..
...no we wouldn't want that to be the reason we are laughing at it, in fact that reason is pretty far down in the list...  :P ;D
snicker ..snicker..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
I'll definitely be riding in Austin this weekend.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »

… is not as enjoyable to ride during the months of June, July and August!     :stirpot:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »
That would be correct with the Indian as well unless we're constantly moving.  I'm working on setting up a heat shield on the right rear jug where the cat is.  There's a heat shield there now but it's next to useless.  I'm thinking about this product... https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/kevlar-heat-barrier   The 19 models copied HD and will cut off the rear jug in hot idling conditions.  The Indian is much like the C14 in that when it's hot it's hot and when it's cold outside it doesn't produce much heat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
LOL  Not a bad option..