Author Topic: ABS Required for all street motorcycles?  (Read 2875 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
ABS Required for all street motorcycles?
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Highway Loss Data Institute have submitted a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration petitioning in favor of making anti-lock brakes mandatory for all new on-highway motorcycles.

The letter, addressed to David Strickland, NHTSA administrator, included a recent IIHS study on the effects of ABS on motorcycle fatal crash rates. The report found ABS technology reduces the rate of fatal crashes by 31%, while collision claim rates were 20% lower with ABS-equipped motorcycles.

The petition also acknowledges concerns of ABS in off-road riding situations, and suggests manufacturers introduce switchable ABS for dual-sport models so the system can be disabled when riding on unpaved terrain.
The IIHS and HLDI letter follows new legislation introduced by the European Parliament in 2012 making ABS mandatory for all on-highway motorcycles with engines larger than 125cc by 2016. Manufacturers are already getting a head start on the new European regulation. BMW for instance has already made ABS standard equipment on all 2013 models.
[Source: IIHS]
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/06/07/motorcycle-news/iihs-asks-nhtsa-to-make-abs-brakes-mandatory-for-all-street-legal-motorcycles/]
[url]http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/06/07/motorcycle-news/iihs-asks-nhtsa-to-make-abs-brakes-mandatory-for-all-street-legal-motorcycles/
[/url]
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

Re: ABS Required for all street motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
It was only a matter of time.  Up next is a surgically implanted condom for guys...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
switchable ABS for dual-sport models so the system can be disabled when riding on unpaved terrain.
I think switchable ABS for all models would be nice.  I often find myself on roads that I really shouldn't be on with street tires on a street bike... 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »
Doesn't bother me.  I'll never buy a bike without ABS in the future.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
It was only a matter of time.  Up next is a surgically implanted condom for guys...

OOOUCH!!
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Seen this coming for years now, no surprise to me. Look to the upper price range of makers for whats coming down the pike, ie:traction control, stability control, wheelie control/prevention, tire pressure monitors, lithium ion batteries, water/oil cooled motors, permanent exhausts, permanently adjusted motors/fuel, black boxes/illegal activity monitoring, GPS with your computer or police interface. All this in the name of "safety" and all sponsored and endorsed and encouraged by the insurance industry which puts the pressure on the makers to put it on all bikes/vehicles. But, as you know, its all about money.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
I am in favor of ABS...but it should be my choice...I am not in favor of taking the choice away from me.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »
I am in favor of ABS...but it should be my choice...I am not in favor of taking the choice away from me.
But they would be doing it for your safety.  We can can give up freedom of choice for safety cant we 8)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »
Next will be mandatory outriggers as most motorcyle accidents happen in curves when a rider loses control...

05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline ugocon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »
I'm in favour of ABS and here in EU they are making it mandatory from 125 cc up starting from 2016.
I saved my Connie (and myself and my wife) once because of ABS: thank you!!!  :hail:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:57 AM »
BMW's have ABS.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »

+1  :thumbs:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
I am so happy the safety nannies are so interested in the safety of motorcyclists. When are they going to mandate helmets for autos?

If they are so interested in saving lives why don't they direct their attention where it will do the most good? Why don't they mandate rider/driver education? Their own studies have shown education works in reducing crashes.
Hint:it's not about safety or saving lives.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!