Author Topic: Handlebar whips...  (Read 13180 times)

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
Re: Handlebar whips...
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 07:16:45 AM »
 I was laughing at some pirate a couple months ago. He had one of those whips that was catching air and flipping over his shoulder and swatting him on the back. All I could think was, "What a moron." ....or maybe he was one of those religious self-flatulence types? 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »
I was laughing at some pirate a couple months ago. He had one of those whips that was catching air and flipping over his shoulder and swatting him on the back. All I could think was, "What a moron." ....or maybe he was one of those religious self-flatulence types?
Wow, a religion that makes you fart? Must be interesting in the pews on Sunday.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
 :rotflmao:   I think I'm a member...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Ooops!  I just joined.  :-[
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
Ooops!  I just joined.  :-[
:rotflmao:   I think I'm a member...

Lifetime member here. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Now I really am curious- what form of coolocity is this? Are we missing out on something really slick? If we don't have a handlebar whip can we still be cool if we hand a piece of spaghetti from a shirt button?

Really, what is this thing all about? ?? Is it used as a pull starter, like on a lawn mower? Is it a way to distinguish right from left (oh yeah, the hand I do not write with is on the whip side of my bike)? What in the world have those crazy kids come up with now?

Brian

Not sure what they are for but every Harley around here has one, usually on the left bar so it touches the ground when leaned over and parked.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
Now I really am curious- what form of coolocity is this? Are we missing out on something really slick? If we don't have a handlebar whip can we still be cool if we hand a piece of spaghetti from a shirt button?
Brian

Only if the spaghetti is al dente.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
I saw these with weighted balls at the end on a ton of cruisers one night. I asked my brother since he has a few years on me riding. He advised that this is what tough midlife crisis types have on handlebars incase they need to whip a car or some other vehicle/person etc... for various reason they feel is necessary. I've lived in a lot of hard areas in hard cities and i'm fairly certain if someone whipped my driver side window and attacked me when they are in a bike and I am in a car I would "Put em in the wall" days of thunder style.

There is a dude that parks his older astro glide or road queen Harley near my work that has these. If the intent of the whip is something positive such as to help with car to bike visibility then go for it but so far I have only seen them with medieval style weaponry attached. If the intent is to intimidate or provide or quick armament then its pretty sad grown men live in that much fear.

I find it disturbing that grownups let the thing they drive own their personality and appearance. If you want to be a badass tough guy then do some kettle bell swings or something, don't dangle leather dildos from your cruiser.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
I should probably modify my earlier statement. The guy I know has leather ones attached to his handlebars, nothing else. As far as I can tell it is purely cosmetics.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
All I can see is that thing getting tangled up in something and throwing the rider off the bike..

The bikes go so slow thats not a factor  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
All this talk about whips and leather.....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

Was his name Rob by chance?  :-\

;D :-X

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
The appearance and personality thing is easy to explain- it is far easier to reflect a personality and core beliefs than generate and hold them.

But thanks for the 'balls on a string' thing- so they are a milder form of a mace? Cool. Stupid but cool. :-)

Brian

I saw these with weighted balls at the end on a ton of cruisers one night. I asked my brother since he has a few years on me riding. He advised that this is what tough midlife crisis types have on handlebars incase they need to whip a car or some other vehicle/person etc... for various reason they feel is necessary. I've lived in a lot of hard areas in hard cities and i'm fairly certain if someone whipped my driver side window and attacked me when they are in a bike and I am in a car I would "Put em in the wall" days of thunder style.

There is a dude that parks his older astro glide or road queen Harley near my work that has these. If the intent of the whip is something positive such as to help with car to bike visibility then go for it but so far I have only seen them with medieval style weaponry attached. If the intent is to intimidate or provide or quick armament then its pretty sad grown men live in that much fear.

I find it disturbing that grownups let the thing they drive own their personality and appearance. If you want to be a badass tough guy then do some kettle bell swings or something, don't dangle leather dildos from your cruiser.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Leo

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
I have seen quite a few of them on  the lower tier motorcycle gang (or wana be bad guy gangs bikes)   I have never seen them on hell's angels or bandito's bikes, unless I am missing something.

By the way, the odd religious practice is call self flagellation. 

The first mentioned practice is not religious, it is in direct cause of a second helping of my wife's 9 bean salad.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
I have seen quite a few of them on  the lower tier motorcycle gang (or wana be bad guy gangs bikes)   I have never seen them on hell's angels or bandito's bikes, unless I am missing something.

The first mentioned practice is not religious, it is in direct cause of a second helping of my wife's 9 bean salad.

But that's not nearly as funny as what Jim M said.    ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
Yeah, real banditos carry pistols and don't need no swinging balls (easy boys!).

I can hear Sean Connery right now "Ain't that just like a lawyer wanna' be on a Hardley to bring a ball on a string to a gunfight!'

:-)

Brian

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Yeah, real banditos carry pistols and don't need no swinging balls (easy boys!).

I can hear Sean Connery right now "Ain't that just like a lawyer wanna' be on a Hardley to bring a ball on a string to a gunfight!'

:-)

Brian

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Most dangerous toy I ever had...
http://www.timewarptoys.com/clackers.htm

http://youtu.be/FLHftISLNHE

not only did your arms get bruised horribly, but kids lost a lot of teeth, had knots on their heads, and tons of stuff got broken....
they were banned from my school

http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_collectibles/70s/klackers.html

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..