Author Topic: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?  (Read 13338 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »
As the story goes.... Curtis LeMay was walking up to a fully fueled and armed B-17 when some kid with a stripe on his arm stopped him and told him (LeMay) he could not go to the plane with a lit cigar. LeMay asked why not? The kid stammered 'because of all the gas- it might catch on fire'. LeMay growled "It wouldn't Dare!" and proceeded on his way to the plane and Germany.

;D ;D

Brian

For bringing up my personal hero and the man that scared the  :censored: out the Russians and everyone else, I  :salute: .  Most everyday people have no idea what that man was about and many that do, have it all wrong.  The greatest AF general that ever lived...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
I'm rather surprised at some of the names I see here that fuel up with the hose between their legs.   ;)  They are usually the first ones to raise a voice for safety in most matters.  Oh well, to each their own.  I'd never fuel up while sitting on the bike.  Seems foolish imho.  Then again I do some pretty foolish things in other areas but those things usually are fun so I feel it's justified.  I guess the guys here feel they are saving time and/or effort by fueling while sitting.  I don't see it.  I know if the government got involved there'd be a law against it.  Shudder.  Let's not let that happen.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
Fuel for the fire...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

http://youtu.be/tuZxFL9cGkI

She got out, she got back in, she got out again with her blue fuzzy sweater......then Kaboom!  If she would have been wearing a leather open vest and open back leather chaps (no pants of course).  This would NOT have happened.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
Sure sounds logical- you are making me think it would be wise to get as far away from the situation as humanly possible! Say, how much distance do you put between yourself and the 'nozzle that flows flammable liquid out at gallons per minute'?

:rotflmao:

As I said, whatever 'floats anyone's boat' works for me. I would certainly agree that not being around any flammable substances would be safer but it seems that most of us have to 1) hold that nasty, scary fuel nozzle whether we sit on the bike or not and 2) once the tank is full, we carefully place the entire thing between our legs and ignite a device (the engine) below said tank that throws electrical sparks in the tens of thousands of volts.... all on purpose.

OFFTOPIC: By the way Dave, looking at using both floor as well as roof trusses in a current project. As we all know, they become involved and weakened in a internal (Easy Boys!) fire much more easily than sawn lumber.... so I am looking into a sprinkler system as well. My prime thought is to <perhaps> not have a fireman fall through the roof should the building be involved in a fire in the future (no matter who actually owns the house at the time), and perhaps save a little kid who might live here in the future. See, always looking out for PRACTICAL, REASONABLE and PRUDENT avenues to pursue safety. And still not one bit worried about the potential, raging Ebola epidemic that could start in the US anytime.... last year.  ;) ;D

Brian

Only takes once. Ironic how many wear AGATT and have never been in a crash but put themselves into a very dangerous situation on purpose numerous times a week without a thought and argue how they've never had a problem because they know how to be safe and can remember all the safe things every time, yet, many here also argue how they could never remember to turn off a manual fuel tap. How can you say putting a nozzle that flows flammable liquid out at gallons per minute, inches from your lap, inches from a red hot motor, all the while clothed in gear that for some makes us a bit less mobile and agile?  Its a good habit and a safe practice to get off the bike while refueling.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
Not sure who exactly you are speaking about but speaking for myself, I do everything with a hose between my legs.... figuratively speaking, of course (Easy Boys! especially any boys who are undressing me with their eyes!).

I can see this topic is going to go the way of the hardliners getting their knickers in a twist. Please allow me to again say that I could not care less what anyone else does regarding fueling vehicles and do not have any strong opinion on the matter either way. I am equally unconcerned about the remote possibility of having my proverbial hose get out of control, setting my self on fire (I believe the term is "self immolation"), catching Ebola from my neighbor or being killed by a large ball of frozen feces that may drop out of a commercial airliner and hit me. Hey, it could all happen and I say kudos to all who are being careful to avoid any or all of those things.

;) ;D

And if we are really looking for something to terrorize ourselves with, how about 'bucket drownings'? The ongoing situation that no one seems to want to address. Could it be a conspiracy by the manufacturers of buckets? The manufacturers of hydrogen dioxide? Hmmmm.

"In Home Danger: CPSC Warns of Children Drowning in Bathtubs, Bath Seats and Buckets More Than 400 Deaths Estimated Over a Five-Year Period."

Source: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News-Releases/2012/In-Home-Danger-CPSC-Warns-of-Children-Drowning-in-Bathtubs-Bath-Seats-and-Buckets-More-than-400-deaths-estimated-over-a-five-year-period/

Brian (who has destroyed all containers within reach that are larger than a condom, for safety's sake. By that I mean I destroyed the containers for safety. Of course condoms are for safety too but not that kind. Although I suppose if one pulled a condom over one's head, one could suffocate.... that tears it, I am now dedicated to destroying all condoms too, in the name of safety. But not that kind of safety. Of course. )

I'm rather surprised at some of the names I see here that fuel up with the hose between their legs.   ;)  They are usually the first ones to raise a voice for safety in most matters.  Oh well, to each their own.  I'd never fuel up while sitting on the bike.  Seems foolish imho.  Then again I do some pretty foolish things in other areas but those things usually are fun so I feel it's justified.  I guess the guys here feel they are saving time and/or effort by fueling while sitting.  I don't see it.  I know if the government got involved there'd be a law against it.  Shudder.  Let's not let that happen.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 01:59:09 PM »
Got out, got in, got out, got in..... Kaboom! And not an 'Easy Boys' anywhere to be seen. Shame on you, Virginia 'Unsafe' Jim!

Brian

Fuel for the fire...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

http://youtu.be/tuZxFL9cGkI

She got out, she got back in, she got out again with her blue fuzzy sweater......then Kaboom!  If she would have been wearing a leather open vest and open back leather chaps (no pants of course).  This would NOT have happened.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
I kinda like the blue fuzzy sweater  :P

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 02:55:39 PM »
One fine really hot calm day while fueling up the old motorhome we were on vacation with and pondering the sign which read something to the effect of: "All pilot lights and self igniting devices must be TURNED OFF before fueling" I glanced over to the guy across on the other side of the pump island and the vapors coming out of the fill pipe of his unit (Easy Boys) was so plainly visable in air and how they beautifully wisped thru the air. Drifting right past his obviously burning propane gas waterheater exhaust. I was just waiting to be consumed by the ensuing inferno, which by some miracle didn't happen. Probably because the flame was already burning, not lighting. Scarry! Couldn't get out of there soon enough. Vapors and sparks, it doesn't take much. Liquid fuel is much more forgiving.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »
I kinda like the blue fuzzy sweater  :P

Yes. Nice, but thinking about the open leather vest and chaps sort of makes for a fuzzy feeling, too.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
Ok, if you want to compare an enclosed ignition system to expanding vapors pouring down the side of a bike and static electricity and hot pipes and engine, ok, I get paid whether you die or not, makes no difference to me. Like you said, what do I care, job security. Only takes once, like Ebola, only takes once. BTW, every law, every safety procedure, every policy, every ordinance ever made, passed, voted on or enacted is aimed at the lowest common denominator, you know that, so when you talk about all the things you make sure you do in the form of safety because you know what to do or how to do it, doesn't mean everyone will do it that way or even do it anyway. I wouldn't put a residential sprinkler system in your house to protect firefighters, unless your house is the size of a commercial warehouse and contains millions of dollars of items and is multi level. Spend the money on stick construction as opposed to trusses.   
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »
Sounds like this needs to be discussed by those master debators that we know and love...  Insert filling up while on the bike for high beams..

http://youtu.be/ld4tIG_PAdo

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
WAY OFFTOPIC: No can do on the stick construction- too many limitations in the way but basically it comes down to the ability to span 24' and 32' respectively with one member (Easy Boys! and no, no one has a member that is that long either). So my choices are basically trusses (roof, floor), LVL plates (floor only) or i- joists (floor only). Having trouble with the cantilever aspect of the i- joist so most likely to go truss in the floor. LVLs will not work as I cannot cut them for plumbing / electrical component passage. I- joists I can cut and trusses are already full of holes.

As far as the sprinkler system, waiting on the word on that but apparently there are no residential sprinkler system 'rules' here regarding testing, certifying etc. So once initially installed, the maintenance cost is effectively zero. And as I said, maybe, just maybe, it <may> make a difference to one or more people down the road ("my" people, the fire dept. people or people I do not even know who own this house in 50 years, makes no difference). I just cannot believe that a given structure without a sprinkler system is as safe, relatively speaking, as the identical structure with a sprinkler system.

BTW, I checked into retarding fire on trusses and found fascinating information about chemically spraying them in the past. It worked well for fire resistance but as it was a form of salt, it corroded all the fasteners used in the trusses.  :yikes:  Score that one a loser.

Back ONTOPIC: Not to worry folks, Ebola and gasoline bursting into flame pale in comparison to heart disease and cancer, and who does not enjoy a good steak (a root cause of both)? Uhmmmm, now I am thinking about taking a Porterhouse down to the gas station, on my bike and gnawing and fueling all at once....

Brian

Ok, if you want to compare an enclosed ignition system to expanding vapors pouring down the side of a bike and static electricity and hot pipes and engine, ok, I get paid whether you die or not, makes no difference to me. Like you said, what do I care, job security. Only takes once, like Ebola, only takes once. BTW, every law, every safety procedure, every policy, every ordinance ever made, passed, voted on or enacted is aimed at the lowest common denominator, you know that, so when you talk about all the things you make sure you do in the form of safety because you know what to do or how to do it, doesn't mean everyone will do it that way or even do it anyway. I wouldn't put a residential sprinkler system in your house to protect firefighters, unless your house is the size of a commercial warehouse and contains millions of dollars of items and is multi level. Spend the money on stick construction as opposed to trusses.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
Pictures please..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
Squirrel on a stick and a beer would pair with a gasoline fire better than a steak I think.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
Happy fueling, I get paid next week. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
Thank you. And I wish you the very best with your stipend.

;D

Brian

Happy fueling, I get paid next week. ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
Sounds like the Government needs to pass another law to protect us.  Maybe they should require full service fuel stations across the country.  Then we can take our break and get a snack while they fill our tanks for us. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »
Sounds like the Government needs to pass another law to protect us.  Maybe they should require full service fuel stations across the country.  Then we can take our break and get a snack while they fill our tanks for us.

New Jersey is like that. The attendants have to pump your gas. Even there I won't let them near the bike. They just hand me the nozzle and let me fill it.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »

BTW, I checked into retarding fire on trusses and found fascinating information about chemically spraying them in the past. It worked well for fire resistance but as it was a form of salt, it corroded all the fasteners used in the trusses.  :yikes:  Score that one a loser.

I was a machinist in a previous life, worked on automatic screw machines (Easy Boys) called Carlton Screw machine Products (Easy Boys), located on Bush Lake Road (Easy Boys). I was told a story about an insurance sales droid mentioning that building/content insurance would be cheaper (easy boys) if the building was sprinklered (easy boys). Owner relayed a story about a machine shop (easy boys) that did have sprinklers... Fire started, sprinklers went off, building (easy boys) burned to the ground. Back in the day (easy boys), oil was used as a coolant and cutting fluid. Like 100 gallons in an open sump. Do the math (easy boys).

Static discharge when fueling is a real issue, though pretty well mitigated now. Tires are (were) the insulator, they now have carbon black (a modest conductor) in them. The fuel hoses (easy boys) have a metal spiral insert that does double/triple duty. This is all well and good for dissipating static charges prior to fueling.

But think about this. The motion of fuel through a hose generates a static charge. Not a big deal (mostly), as the hose is grounded, so is the car/motorcycle. But what about the air gap between the falling fuel and the metal tank? *Even if* the tank is grounded.

I bring this up as some of you know I'm building a plane. A fiberglass plane, with fiberglass fuel tanks in fiberglass wings. Fiberglass is an insulator, so is fuel. Pumping fuel into the tanks generates a static charge. How do I ground my air frame?

Rick (Easy boys)
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 06:19:41 AM »

But think about this. The motion of fuel through a hose generates a static charge. Not a big deal (mostly), as the hose is grounded, so is the car/motorcycle. But what about the air gap between the falling fuel and the metal tank? *Even if* the tank is grounded.

Rick (Easy boys)

I always touch the fuel nozzle to the tank while filling.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077