Author Topic: Mountain Runner Premium....flash...  (Read 3041 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Mountain Runner Premium....flash...
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
sorry, I didn't post this up when i made the initial test runs....
but here ya go;

I'm a hard nut to crack. You that know me, and for those that have no clues, can just believe it.

First impression;
after all I just did, to prep my bike from it's "sitting" state, to "ready to ride across the USA".. I was really un impressed when I started the bike, and left the driveway. I've known Steve for many years, moreso than most people here on site.. I share with him, he shares with me... I trust him; most of all, I TRUST him..   soooo... It started, fell into perfect idle mode, (I'm thinking "meh") and I was riding. Didn't press it hard, as I m in an area that prevents "gettin crazy" right from the driveway.. so, roll a while, and find the bike mildly pleasing; (again, meh..) mind you, I didn't mess with anything related to throttle, or such.. it was "perfect" as it was last ride.. went to play ADV Tag, and the route to the grab was one I have ridden many times before.. and en-route, began "testing" the throttle roll on, in gears I never would have tried to "roll" on up.. (meh.. but....).. hmmmmmmmmm I'm kinda liking this.. don't have to kick down a gear.. so, to test, I click UP a gear... and rollon again... OK.. I'm getting it... mind you I'm on roads with a 45 limit.. and in fifth, rolling the throttle, and..... seeeing the "real" thing.. ..so hell.. kick it down 2 and crank it.......(I'm not allowed to use the word I uttered..) lets just say Ralphie got to suck on a bar of Lifeboy soap, when he said it... now, into the "remote zone" or as I call it my "testing grounds", up/down/twisty roads, rated at 25-40 mph.. and very sketchy pavement.. ok... now I'm running in a gear higher, or even 2 higher, than I would have, doing severe uphill twists, without any possible "lag", or even need to downshift.... but, the dork in me says "kick it down, and ride it like you used to"--------, well.... let's just say, the turns like I was crawling on before,(and still dusting my pals if I was up front, or on their arse, flashing my lights ) are now being done while the front wheel is coming off the ground, and are very enjoyable (albeit scary as hell) , even on a 700# bike.. OMG.. now I'm having fun.. BUT.. I'm scared and clinching butt cheeks now.. and I do not, scare easily... down the road a bit more, and some "more" various gear "roll on's", between 40-100 mph, in various gears, and always trying to find a 'bog point".. I am very pizzed... I simply could NOT find a Bog point..  (are you getting this yet? I'm hoping this relates to some longtime rider's experiences..)   all in all, and I will admit I never even came close to my old "redline", in any gear, and this flash pushed my redline up another 500rpm.. I have to get on a freeway "slab" and "see" the final, which I can only believe will be "karma"..
50 mile loop, never got over 9k rpm (front wheel lofted many, MANY times, and I never loft a wheel), curves, de-cell, a gear higher all the time simply because it WILL pull (but I always downshift on downhills, I want my rpm to "work", and IT DOES)..

man oh man... "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner..." simply amazing.

On a remote road, with nobody on it, rolling along at 50 mph, in 5th gear, all I can say is when I pegged it, and had to shut the throttle off before reaching redline (not even close).. I was ... FLOORED.

Semper Fi Bro, you did well..
I wish I could find some of those Face Book wannabees, up at the national rally, bring them to the nearest drag strip.. and THROW DOWN THE MONEY..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Mountain Runner Premium....flash...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
followed up with;

Quote from: Steve in Sunny Fla on July 13, 2019, 01:23:15 pm
Thanks Rich, Glad you like it. Can you imagine a died in the wool Concours guy making a bada$$ flash for the the way we actually ride them?  ;) 

BTW, I know initially you were thinking about getting the Hammer flash, and I kind of talked you into Mountain Runner Premium because I feel it makes the bike easier to ride and control. Any regrets in going with my recommendation?

Steve

:)) :)) ;)

absolutely, positively, no regret at all...  in my opinion it's perfect in every way. Basically "invisible" until called upon, and then you really know it's "there".. from low speed traffic, and manipulating the city streets, to letting it all hang out where the roads become "empty... and fun"..
I've always been a proponent of "keeping the bike in the correct gear, to provide the best power and engine braking", meaning I always found myself running one gear or more, lower than those people that insist on running the engine at 3000 rpm and below... I always found the "sweet spot" as a point around 4k rpm minimum...when taking on technical challenging roads..

This flash is making me re-evaluate my riding "profile", as it is so effortless to roll on and gain speed rapidly, even on uphill turning roads, that allows a very safe feeling to "getting power" when called upon.. in a very linear manner..

all in all, great job my friend, and I don't think anyone, that does not own and ride a C14, and has done so for a number of years, could EVER address the functionality such as this flash shows, by simply crunching numbers, and running a single bike, on a dyno, to "make a product".. suited for hundreds of C14's and the individual rider's "needs"..

Now, send me 20 more stickers... I have a plan...
I'll send you the "artwork" for the "new" stickers, that you need to make up, and add to the flash kits in a quantity of 20 or so... nice small ones, about 1-1/2" dia. , that have a "frowny face" and the logo " booo hooo hoo--- I just got blown away by a Shoodabeen bike..."
 :'(
and we can all attach them to folks bikes that experienced the sadness.. as a "lack-a-performance" awards..

;) :) :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :great:

Semper Fi bro.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
after reading some very unfavorable commentary, by a "shiny squirrel"...
 I had to address that issue...mind you, I was banned from that COG f/b site.
meh...

so added this:

Quote from: Road Runner on July 14, 2019, 08:15:48 pm
"Basically "invisible" until called upon, and then you really know it's "there".. from low speed traffic, and manipulating the city streets, to letting it all hang out where the roads become "empty... and fun/"

Well said MOB and Kuddos Steve. Each time I ride lately, since receiving my Mtn Runner Premium flash from Steve, I have a finer appreciation for not only the bike but also what he did to awaken the sleeping beast within ... when needed.

As he says, it like the bike "Shoodaben" from Mama Kaw.  :great:  :great:  :great:

Thanks Dave,
I'm still amazed, and appalled, that a couple "minions" on the f/b site, still insist on making Steve's life a living hell, expecting him to have to post, to defend the outright opinions that were un coerced, and written fully with true at heart feelings, on just what they found when they made "the jump", and spent their hard earned cash. Making comments tantamount to "everyone is saying the same thing, and you are coaching them on what to say" is ridiculous.. they/we ALL say the same things, simply because it's all true. Posting a series of commonality in revues, by 10 or more people, is a GOOD barometer of the efficacy of the product..

In the end, those that do "trashy things" amount to nothing, an annoying mosquito, in the big picture.. sadly, they make themselves visible, and attempt to draw a crowd based on visibility..  I'm banned from there, so I can't pose my feelings.

ask me face to face at the rally, why I was banned.  see y'all Sunday..

when it comes right down to it, units in the field, paid for, and documented, far surpass all this..

ride safe y'all, and don't be afraid to spend the money... I'm sure if you could give any viable reason to Steve, he would have you send him your ECU back, and put it as it was when you had it flashed.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:05:33 PM »
 :feedback:  Did you ever get round to replacing the fuel filter?  If so, what did you find?   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
:feedback:  Did you ever get round to replacing the fuel filter?  If so, what did you find?   :chugbeer:

yes
did it a week ago, along with other lubes and maintenance.. went to full Synth Castrol rs 4T racing oil, K'n filter, and Lucas Synth final drive lube, which I cycled thru, rotating, and draining and finally filling, to flush everything out, as I had not changed it all in 30k miles.
Fuel filter..
it was gacked up, totally black, and probably just waiting to make my life miserable on a ride..
I did "clean the pump and passages" with Gumout, and blew everything clean and dry..
40k, and I always bought "good fuel"..  I can't say enough about changing them out, it is simple relatively, and other than dumping fuel, due to some health issues with vertigo, and lack of $$ the bike has not been ridden like it was when I bought it.. arggg) very benign to accomplish.. I recommend doing it on 30k intervals, seeing what I saw, and mine was "running", so prevent the headache, and simply do it.. $12 is cheap. Not worrying "when" is priceless.
My '08 is good for a long while now. 8)

It's better than the first day I rode it home, that's for sure...
p.s.
a close pal, Roger Sinclair, doing his first Iron Butt on an '08, had major clogage within the first 10k miles.. I talked him thru it during his ride, and he did a "remove/spritz/reassemble" and finished quite well..(17th) .. but I think all the fuel he was using during the competition was reallllly questionable, as you could well expect.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 10:01:46 PM »
sorry, I didn't post this up when i made the initial test runs....

We might forgive you.

I'm a hard nut to crack.

Well THAT is an understatement.

OK.. I'm getting it...[...]rolling the throttle, and..... seeeing the "real" thing.. ..so hell.. kick it down 2 and crank it.......(I'm not allowed to use the word I uttered..) [...]now I'm running in a gear higher, or even 2 higher, than I would have[...] are now being done while the front wheel is coming off the ground[...] a gear higher all the time simply because it WILL pull [...] I was ... FLOORED.

Well, I will throw a big fat "I told you so" at ya.  There is a reason so many of us have been posting so many superlatives.  Mind you, I have been flashed a LOT longer than most, but Steve perfected it over Ghul.  I simply can't describe the improvements to people who are still "stock."  *NOTHING* you do to this bike will make hardly any difference in comparison.  It is almost like having a different model bike- the full potential of the Concours 1400 comes out, while retaining the sport-touring-centric, low-grunt-tuning that makes the power so pleasant and so usable.

Enjoy! :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline strum

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
I also posted on the facebook site and got some smart ace remarks .
  I can say here that this flash is by far the best one I've ran (and I've ran a few now)
 Im not just saying it to blow smoke either it really is THE tune to have.
  I find myself riding the twistes a little bit faster . Not because im honking on it but because smoother just makes me more roll in and out of the corners better.
  Im digging the wide open throttle part but Im more impressed with the throttle response of it.
 The quality of the ride went way up . 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »
I also posted on the facebook site and got some smart ace remarks .
  I can say here that this flash is by far the best one I've ran (and I've ran a few now)
 Im not just saying it to blow smoke either it really is THE tune to have.
  I find myself riding the twistes a little bit faster . Not because im honking on it but because smoother just makes me more roll in and out of the corners better.
  Im digging the wide open throttle part but Im more impressed with the throttle response of it.
 The quality of the ride went way up . 

THE frosting on the cake, is after travelling to and from the National in Williamsport Pa., I now have a good feel on mile/ new mileage readings... all in all, I'm glad I went with the M/R/Premium.. as now, buying premium fuel is painless... I found 93 octane everywhere, and my final mile per gallon figures are: via instruments/readings... 52.3 mpg.. and when actual measurements, of gallons purchased vs miles travelled are totalled, I got an actual 53.4 mpg on my trip..  amazing.. best I ever got on my '08, with a fresh tune, was 45 mpg.. and most of the time I hovered ad 40-42 mpg local.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:26:52 PM »
MOB,
I'm not seeing how you can be sure that you made the right choice with the MRP flash vs the Hammer flash.  Perhaps you need Steve to send you the Hammer so you can compare.   ;D

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:30:01 PM »
I’m sold on it. How do I get one? Easy to do myself? Thanks!

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 03:59:15 AM »
I’m sold on it. How do I get one? Easy to do myself? Thanks!

Go to this site: https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
THE frosting on the cake, is after travelling to and from the National in Williamsport Pa., I now have a good feel on mile/ new mileage readings... all in all, I'm glad I went with the M/R/Premium.. as now, buying premium fuel is painless... I found 93 octane everywhere, and my final mile per gallon figures are: via instruments/readings... 52.3 mpg.. and when actual measurements, of gallons purchased vs miles travelled are totalled, I got an actual 53.4 mpg on my trip..  amazing.. best I ever got on my '08, with a fresh tune, was 45 mpg.. and most of the time I hovered ad 40-42 mpg local.

MOB - I know your '09 doesn't have the ECO mode, but the figures you provided suggest Steve's MR Premium flash gives mileage comparable or better than the stock ECU in ECO mode.  Has Steve said whether this is the case?  I ride my '12 in ECO mode 90+ percent of the time because most of my riding doesn't permit much hooliganism.  But there are occasions where I like to romp on it, and I'd love the smoothness, lower end pull, and quickness that Steve's flashes seem to provide, especially if it didn't come at the expense of mpg.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
MOB - I know your '09 doesn't have the ECO mode

Technically it is "FEA" mode or "FEAM" ("Fuel Economy Assistance Mode")... the indicator is "ECO", which is confusing, because there is also ANOTHER "ECO" indicator, which is the "you are driving in an eco-friendly manner".

but the figures you provided suggest Steve's MR Premium flash gives mileage comparable or better than the stock ECU in ECO mode.

The stock ECU programming is quite rich.  Most of the reflashes lean out the mixture and result in a better-than-stock MPG.  My experience is that the normal mode (with Steve's flash) is still not as high as with FEAM on.  But the bike performs horribly in FEAM.  But my non-FEAM mode MPG does increase with his flash, as it did with Guhl's.  'Your mileage may vary' :)

Has Steve said whether this is the case?

Yes

I ride my '12 in ECO mode 90+ percent of the time because most of my riding doesn't permit much hooliganism.

I only time I use FEAM when I am low on fuel AND in an extremely passive "slab" mode.  The bike has no power at all in that mode and isn't fun.  The bike will kick out of FEAM temporarily, if the RPM or throttle is increased enough, but there is a huge time lag (and by that time, the need has passed.... pun intended).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Thanks maxtog.  Interesting the stock ECU programming is on the rich side.  I would've thought it'd be lean for emissions purposes and that Steve's flashes would richen it a bit for better power and smoothness.  I never have ridden a full tank in ECO mode (holding the mode selection button for a sec) vs. regular mode, but suspect there's maybe a 10-15% difference.  Another reason I use ECO mode so much is most of my riding is at low RPM, and I actually notice a bit of a boost when I toggle from regular to ECO at low speed/low RPM.

Still plan on getting the flash in the near future though, and will get with Steve for advice on which one would be best for me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
Thanks maxtog.  Interesting the stock ECU programming is on the rich side.  I would've thought it'd be lean for emissions purposes

One might think so.  But I believe their motivation is that a too-lean mixture is far more "dangerous" to the engine; it will get very hot, especially considering a significant number of people will not run the correct high-octane fuel (because they are cheap or forget the Concours has variable valves which "ups" the relative compression ratio) and will experience detonation.

and that Steve's flashes would richen it a bit for better power and smoothness.

Too rich hurts performance just as much as too lean :)

I never have ridden a full tank in ECO mode (holding the mode selection button for a sec) vs. regular mode, but suspect there's maybe a 10-15% difference.

That is my estimate, also.

Another reason I use ECO mode so much is most of my riding is at low RPM, and I actually notice a bit of a boost when I toggle from regular to ECO at low speed/low RPM.

LOL.  Just wait until your ECU is reflashed.  There is no "boost" of any type in FEAM :) :)  Just "wet sock must be somewhere in the intake."   You will detest FEAM, no matter how you ride.  Trust me.  With a better ECU programming, you will get similar MPG running without FEAM at low RPM and low throttle as you did before reflash using FEAM.  And yet with none of the major irritations (hesitation, lack of power, strange curves).

Still plan on getting the flash in the near future though, and will get with Steve for advice on which one would be best for me.

I believe the variations are very subtle, just go for it.  You will wonder how you ever drove a non-reflashed ECU Concours.  I have had 5.5 years of happiness (Guhl, then Steve) vs. the 3 years of "meh" before then.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
Right now my son needs the car for work, so I can't get the flash because the Connie is my daily transport.  But I hope to get it done soon after he returns to school.