Author Topic: High speed weaving/swerving 100+ hard acceleration.  (Read 5109 times)

Offline jamcou2020

High speed weaving/swerving 100+ hard acceleration.
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
Hey Guys I really would like some advice on this issue. I just changed and balanced my tires my self. A few weeks ago. I am running the angle demons with a 55 in the rear. After the tire change I noticed the bike pulled a lot to the right. After a while that feeling went away. So I thought it was all in my head. The other day I was playing with a M5. Anyway I really opened the Connie up 1st to 5h gear wide open acceleration. I noticed at 80 plus mph she started to swerve left to right. The faster I went the more prominent it became. In 5ht gear at WOT she wouldn't hold a straight line at all and I would have to fight to keep her straight. It was like a slow head shake. Has anyone else had this issue? Could I have installed something wrong when I put my tires back on? Could I have balanced them wrong? I don't know if this make a difference but my bags where on, I did have about 20 pounds of weight in one and 10 in the other. Would that uneven distribution cause this issue?? Thank you for all you help.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: High speed weaving/swerving 100+ hard acceleration.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Did you bounce on the front suspension before tightening the pinch bolts?
Steering neck bearings?
Top trunk on?

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I just went through this, and its easily solvable.  Think about what the 55 series rear tire did.  Not only did it raise the rear end slightly, it also placed more weight on the forks.  No big deal, really, btu this bike is heavy. When you start moving weight around, we're talking WEIGHT!

Try removing preload from the shock..try 5 clicks. Then take out 1/4 turn of rebound damping.  Then test. If it helped, but did not entirely fix it, add a line.

Do the rear first as its entirely possible to tune the advantages of that taller tire right out of the system. More preload up front will not let the front end settle as much dropping into a corner.

Obvioulsy, this assumes bearings, and tire installation  are correct.   Plus, my trunk adds in all sorts of odd behaviors at "legal impaired" speeds.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Hate to say, but it could be a tire.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
Did you bounce on the front suspension before tightening the pinch bolts?
Steering neck bearings?
Top trunk on?
No I did not I just tightned them up. Bike has 7500 miles on it. I bought i brand new in Feb of this year. No top trunk.

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
I just went through this, and its easily solvable.  Think about what the 55 series rear tire did.  Not only did it raise the rear end slightly, it also placed more weight on the forks.  No big deal, really, btu this bike is heavy. When you start moving weight around, we're talking WEIGHT!

Try removing preload from the shock..try 5 clicks. Then take out 1/4 turn of rebound damping.  Then test. If it helped, but did not entirely fix it, add a line.

Do the rear first as its entirely possible to tune the advantages of that taller tire right out of the system. More preload up front will not let the front end settle as much dropping into a corner.

Obvioulsy, this assumes bearings, and tire installation  are correct.   Plus, my trunk adds in all sorts of odd behaviors at "legal impaired" speeds.
Its funny at WOT. It feels like the front end is to light. Should I try putting a few click to H on the rear? I took out 6 from stock because the ride was to hard. I had no problems with this issue until I replaced the tires. Thanks for your help!!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Have you had the bike up to triple digits before?  Any issues then?  If no, then new tires or installation of.

I just chased down an a$$hat yesterday, running Angels well worn, and hit 105 indicated by Zumovision... topbox, left pannier full, right empty, no issues.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Have you had the bike up to triple digits before?  Any issues then?  If no, then new tires or installation of.

I just chased down an a$$hat yesterday, running Angels well worn, and hit 105 indicated by Zumovision... topbox, left pannier full, right empty, no issues.
yeah. No problems befre the tire change I know I blanced them well. humm maybe I need to reset the front Ill pay more attention to see if it is still pulling right. If so I'll try resetting it then see how it acts. If not I guess I take her in.Just dont want to part with her for 3 weeks. To have the tire checked until I get over 100 there is no problem at all.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
you need to recheck the suspension setting any time you changes tires.  even tires of the same size but made by different manufacturer are not the same size as another companies tires. check your work, reset ssuspension..

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Its funny at WOT. It feels like the front end is to light. Should I try putting a few click to H on the rear? I took out 6 from stock because the ride was to hard. I had no problems with this issue until I replaced the tires. Thanks for your help!!

es, for sure try. If it makes it worse, you'll know you shoudl have one the opposite way.  The stock shock is good, but its lacking in adjustments.  When you have only preload and rebound, you sometimes have to get creative and settle for less than perfect.

But, dont be afraid to run extra preload out back.  The shock linkage is progressive. If you hold it up higher in the stroke, often times the ride will feel smoother due to it not settling down into the stiffer part of the progression curve.

Whne adjusting thsi stuff, go crazy.  A click or two is difficult for anyone to notice. A full turn on rebound or 15 preload clicks will give a better idea of what your trying to accomplish..right or wrong. Same idea when sighting in a gun if you shoot.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:44 AM »
I have kind of a simular problem, I got the 09 with crappy stock tires, rode it to 2000 miles then changed for Pilot Powers, ultra perfect on curves, but then I get that front end shake at 130, took it back to tire place to see if the tire was out of balance, NO! it was in spec, so I'm clueless now, I run the front at 36 and rear at 38 (HELL NO to 41 in both tires)
Never had this issue from my 08!
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Fretka

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

+1
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
I've ran many 190/55 tires hard  (only reason i buy them) and haven't had any issues nor tweaked my suspension keeping the 5mm in mind
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
Thank all of you for you info I will try all of the advice that I have gotten this weekend. Plus it time for me to change the oil. Its going to be a fun weekend.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
I've ran many 190/55 tires hard  (only reason i buy them) and haven't had any issues nor tweaked my suspension keeping the 5mm in mind

Ditto.  With the 55's I've run over 100 so many times I could never come close to guessing.  It has also been to an honest 157mph.  No problems at all.  And I don't touch my suspension settings since getting it set the way I like it two years ago.  I do keep my tires inflated within 1-2 lbs of 41 rear and a couple lbs less in front.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
If there was no weight placed on the front end (read: bounced) before the axle pinch bolts were tightened then you possibly have an axle that is misaligned.  I would start there and then look for the easy fixes like adjusting your suspension, but the 190/55 should not cause enough change in the bike to call for a suspension adjustment.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »
If there was no weight placed on the front end (read: bounced) before the axle pinch bolts were tightened then you possibly have an axle that is misaligned.  I would start there and then look for the easy fixes like adjusting your suspension, but the 190/55 should not cause enough change in the bike to call for a suspension adjustment.

^^^^agreed.  I tweak for passenger, luggage, etc at times but never has the 5mm made a significant difference in suspension performance for me
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine