Mish mash > Open Forum

Electric bicycles.....

(1/3) > >>

gPink:
.... either home built or store bought, low cost/low maintenance is a necessity.... anyone with any experience?

I only live about a mile from work so I don't ride the c14 as it doesn't have time to warm up. I am looking for a non-cage alternative.

I haven't ridden a pedal bike since I got my first motorcycle back when dirt was young. I care nothing about the exercise aspects of bicycling as I get plenty at work.

I'm leaning toward building with a used bike as a starting point. There's a lot of info on the webs to sort through so if anyone has any insight I would appreciate the input.

VirginiaJim:
Interesting project.  Keep us informed.

maxtog:
I live about 1/3 mile from work.  Originally I walked, but that was annoying because I had to interact with people at a time I was always in a rush.  Then I had a tiny foldable bike, which did nothing but draw attention and was uncomfortable.  Then I got an electric scooter.  It didn't have much ground clearance, was unstable, didn't like wet, and the batteries needed replacement every year or so for some reason.  And there were always problems with SOMETHING- the chain, the throttle control, etc.  Plus it was heavy.  Finally, I switched to a full-size 21 speed aluminum bicycle.  That has worked out very well.  Not sure I will ever worry about an electric one.

This has been over a a long period, mind you. 

VirginiaJim:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/21/weekend-project-build-your-own-budget-friendly-electric-bicycle-for-under-500/#:~:text=Installing%20the%20electric%20bicycle%20conversion%20kit&text=To%20install%20the%20hub%20motor,the%20throttle%20to%20the%20handlebars.

MAN OF BLUES:
WAS AT dOLLAR gENERAL STORE A COUPLE MONTHS BACK.. saw a mountain bike, with a small motor attached, and was looking at it closely for like 5 minuts when the kid came out, and posed "wassup', i told him it was a bit intresting, he told me he converted it for like $200 off e-bay stuff.. let me actually ride it... it cranked out 35 mph no problem. small engine, tank, and other stuff.. was cool.. some kids do have a grasp on "mods"... just saying.. $200 and a great MTN bike can be a real road demon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version