Author Topic: Help' oil won't come out after removing drain plug  (Read 23687 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Help' oil won't come out after removing drain plug
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
Put it up on the center stand, put it in thrid gear, and roll the back tire.
Maybe the compression will trigger the oil to drain?
Or maybe this is all a bad idea.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Put it up on the center stand, put it in thrid gear, and roll the back tire.
Maybe the compression will trigger the oil to drain?
Or maybe this is all a bad idea.
(Neutral Finder), i tried this in the past just to see if i could do it and never could, maybe i could with a second person spinning the wheel while i try to pop in 2nd.

I solved the oil problem and my bike is running fine with fresh oil and filter.

NOT a good idea at all but i bumped the starter a few times and nothing happened so i just let the engine start for about 1-2 seconds and the oil came gushing out about half a quart so i turned off the engine and the flow stopped, i have a 5 quart bucket and the bike holds 3 so i start the engine again and let it fill almost half the bucket with my hand on the kill switch i shut it down soon as the oil light came on witch was right around 2 & half quarts.

So really my oil is not completely fresh, i still have a half quart of old oil in there that mixed with the new oil..

some of you had what seems to be good suggestions, like maybe a strange vacuum problem, but how can that be with both drain plugs completely out including the oil filter.
i also thought about sticking a straw or something up in there but what if it knocked something loose, there is no way i can tear down the engine to fix it.

I still would like more feedback on this, maybe from that lawnmower guy
 :feedback:

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
You probably tried this but did any oil come out when you opened the filler cap?  That would have alleviated any vacuum issues.  If you tried that and oil didn't come out then I am totally perplexed.  It would have to be blockage in the drain holes.   :popcorn:
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
You probably tried this but did any oil come out when you opened the filler cap?  That would have alleviated any vacuum issues.  If you tried that and oil didn't come out then I am totally perplexed.  It would have to be blockage in the drain holes.   :popcorn:

You know i did not try that, i only took off the filler cap after i put the drain plugs back in.  ::)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »

Great suggestion.  But there is also the crankcase vent hose that goes up to the bottom of the airbox on the left side, which should provide adequate ventilation for air to get into the crankcase.  You might check and see of that tube it blocked.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »
That tube has been caked with oil since day one and thats something i been wanting to check for a long time, i cleaned the outside of it once but it caked up again about 4 months later, i need to take the air box off but that may be more work then i can do where i live, apartments suck.

if its caked on the outside then i could be on the inside to
 :(

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
That's gotta be it. The vent tube must be clogged.
Keep us updated when you check that out.

Good luck.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
You may already know this, but in case you don't, you can't get the airbox out without pulling the carbs first, there just isn't any room. :'(
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »
You may already know this, but in case you don't, you can't get the airbox out without pulling the carbs first, there just isn't any room. :'(

That's exactly why i said that may be more work then i can do where i live, i cant do that kind of work in my parking spot, i thought about working on it at a friends house who has a big front yard but i can see problems there to, what ever work i do i need to get it done in one day and i have never taken the carbs off before and if i do they are going to Steve for the proper treatment.

from what i can see witch isn't much there is no way to take off that tube and clean it without removing the air box, is that right? has any one removed and replaced that tube without taking out the air box??

after watching steve's carb video's i am sure i can do this but i really need to be prepared first, i dont have a heat gun and my boots are like cement so they gotta be replaced to and while im there i should replace the throttle cable as well, you can see where this is going right $$$$$ and i really don't have that kind of money, heck i barely get by month to month. sorry for the dribble.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 04:15:20 AM »
Thanks to all of you Now that we have Possibly found the problem could that plugged up tube cause me to blow the engine if i keep riding it? IMO it wont hurt it because its probably been like that for awhile now, it had to have plugged up withing the last 3,000 miles witch was my last oil change.

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 07:25:41 AM »
Glad to hear you got the problem sorta out, and the good news is you didn't damage the engine.  ;)
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
Definitely inspect that hose
FYI, over filling the oil, even a small amount, tends to generate the oil blowby into the airbox, and hence the oily caking on the hose. Might be building up on the inside of the hose too.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
Actually this is a good time for a lesson for those DIY-ers. Filling the oil means IMO.
1. Drain
2. Remove filter
3. Slowly fill to middle of site glass, allowing time for oil to settle in bottom of drain pan
4. Start engine and let idle for a minute or so
5. Let engine settle at least five minutes
6. Fill to middle of site glass again, allowing time for oil to settle in bottom of drain pan

The key here is to not overfill because you didn't allow the oil to settle before checking the site glass.

What did I miss?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Actually this is a good time for a lesson for those DIY-ers. Filling the oil means IMO.
1. Drain
2. Remove filter
3. Slowly fill to middle of site glass, allowing time for oil to settle in bottom of drain pan
4. Start engine and let idle for a minute or so
5. Let engine settle at least five minutes
6. Fill to middle of site glass again, allowing time for oil to settle in bottom of drain pan

The key here is to not overfill because you didn't allow the oil to settle before checking the site glass.

What did I miss?
Have had my '94 for 19 yrs and have found that 3 quarts is perfect.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Have had my '94 for 19 yrs and have found that 3 quarts is perfect.
+1 3qts is all I add to my bikes
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

devilboy

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
I use a reusable oil filter. I put in exactly 4.5 qts with this filter and I am good to go!

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »
I use a reusable oil filter. I put in exactly 4.5 qts with this filter and I am good to go!

http://www.kandpengineering.com/
4.5 qts?  I find it hard to believe that you'd get an extra 1.5 qts of capacity.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
+1 3qts is all I add to my bikes
Make that a +2 on the 3 quarts and good to go.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
4.5 qts?  I find it hard to believe that you'd get an extra 1.5 qts of capacity.

C-14s have different capacities than C-10s.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
C-14s have different capacities than C-10s.
Aha!  Didn't notice the C14 in the signature.  And didn't expect it since this is a C10 forum section...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157