Author Topic: 'puters - I'm heading over to the dark side at last  (Read 9717 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
'puters - I'm heading over to the dark side at last
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:48:06 AM »
Just ordered a MAC

...and all the options such as 27" thunderbolt monitor, i7 quad processor, extra ram, serious graphics card.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: 'puters - I'm heading over to the dark side at last
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
And this is going to set you back how much?

Yes, that's an extremely nosy question! Thank you for noticing.  8)

Offline shakespeare

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
I think you mean you are coming out of the dark side......don"t you??
Dan in South Jersey (formerly danielcombs)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »
I think you mean you are coming out of the dark side......don"t you??

Thanks for putting it in perspective, I've been  avoiding Mac for so long I had it backwards  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:54:27 AM »
And this is going to set you back how much?

Yes, that's an extremely nosy question! Thank you for noticing.  8)

Not as bad as you think, I'm on the student discount program.  I'm a photography major at my local university.  Its sorta' BS because I'm NOT giving up my techie career, I'm just having fun and didn't care to start a masters program such as I perhaps should have

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »
You have my sympathy....      :'(

;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
Just ordered a MAC

...and all the options such as 27" thunderbolt monitor, i7 quad processor, extra ram, serious graphics card.

Remember it's Left click for Yes, umm, Right click for ...

There you go, Steve, just think of all that unnecessary right clicking you will no longer have to go through.
:)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
Remember it's Left click for Yes, umm, Right click for ...

There you go, Steve, just think of all that unnecessary right clicking you will no longer have to go through.
:)

Ya remembering all the new swipe gestures is much easier than right clicking and picking a command from a list.  :P

=Laserjock=

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »
I got an iPad in September & now I can't live without it.  I like the Mac book pro & the air but still having a had time spending $1,700 for something Incan get at Best Buy for $450.

But I do like the look of the Apple.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
Nice machines and they always have been IMO. My wife actually bought me my very first Mac back when they came out.... 128K of ram and a Motorola 68000 screaming along at 8 MHz. In my opinion the Mac interface has always been far more refined than anything Windoze has ever produced. The data / resource forks also make a lot more sense. Unfortunately real life gets in the way and any hard science or engineering tasks virtually have to be done on a PC as that is the only platform that will support commercial software and / or interface with industrial equipment.

A friend of mine and I got PCs back in the early 90's after some time using Macs and I think he hit the nail on the head when he said 'Boy, these machines are incredibly stupid'.

Of course, I am typing this on a PC....  ???

Brian

Just ordered a MAC

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »
Nice of you to support the little guy.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
A few years ago I was working on a MAC here at work, I don't remember what the issue was.

I inserted a CD-ROM and the damn thing wouldn't give me my disc back. What kind of company does not include a hardware driven eject button on a computer?

Oh, you don't need one because the software driven eject button will always work right? Um, no.

No matter what I did that MAC would not give me my disc back. I had to open it up to get my CD back. I"ve hated MACs ever since then.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Yes crazy, but I bet you have a similar story about a Windows PC.
I know I have a few.
I still prefer Wyndowz.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
I inserted a CD-ROM and the damn thing wouldn't give me my disc back. What kind of company does not include a hardware driven eject button on a computer?

Oh, you don't need one because the software driven eject button will always work right? Um, no.

No matter what I did that MAC would not give me my disc back. I had to open it up to get my CD back. I"ve hated MACs ever since then.

I've come across some PC CD/DVD drives that didn't have a way to open them up either.  But, yeah, Apple put those into their computers intentionally.

I always make sure on the ones I buy now that there is that silly little hole for inserting a paperclip to open up the drive.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »
Just ordered a MAC

I understand completely.  I was also waiting for that arrogant SOB to kick over before buying anything from them.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
I hope the DVD player opens.  I want to be able to take Adobe LightRoom 3 disk out after loading so I can then load the Photoshop CS5.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
Funny... just ordered a Mac Air, first Apple 'puter product.  I have a iPad2, won that at EMC World earlier this year, great little tool... have an iPhone 4s being delivered today for work purposes to replace my Droid X, can't lock the security down on them like you can the iPhone. 

I've been avoiding the Apple cart for a long time, just costly products mainly compared to the alternative... but they always seem to be a great product.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
I understand completely.  I was also waiting for that arrogant SOB to kick over before buying anything from them.

Have we been better off feeding Bill Gates our $$$$

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
Have we been better off feeding Bill Gates our $$$$
No, however Bill Gates at least has some charity in him.  Jobs was a selfish miser who did his best to shut out his friends, charities and even the mother of his own daughter.  No doubt he was a genius, and possibly the most influential visionary in the last 100 years.  But as a person, he was dispicable, IMHO.   What amazes me is that he managed to live long enough to die at the hands of a disease. 

Prepare to follow this thread as it moves to the arena very soon.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
+1 on Bill's philanthropy
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn