Author Topic: Battery or No Battery thats the question  (Read 1203 times)

Offline hank

Battery or No Battery thats the question
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:16:05 PM »
So my Battery is 4 1/2 years old, always on a battery tender no indication of any problems....But what are the forum members thoughts on replacing it for this up coming riding season. Just to be on the safe side... If your thinking yes any recommendations that wont break the bank :)  Thoughts

Offline jwh20

Re: Battery or No Battery thats the question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 07:37:25 PM »
The battery in my 2012 is still going strong after 10 years.  Unless there is an actual problem with it, I'd let it ride until it dies.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 01:10:11 AM »
If it's always on the tender when parked at home, I'd just hang on to it until it starts to play up.
Chances are the tender (if it is a decent one) will warn you of any problems before it lets you down.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline hank

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 08:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the input so far, that is my initial thought but there's that little voice saying "if the battery dies 5 hrs from home and 1 hr from any place to get a new one" Then I will kick myself for not spending the $ and replacing it? What is the norm as far as MC battery life?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
Listen to that little voice...   If it's enough to worry and think about, it's time to change it.  Goes for tires too.  Life is too short to stress over these things.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline hank

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 06:58:52 PM »
Yes I hate to spend the $$ but being stranded because of a $100 or less battery would stink for sure.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:31:02 AM »
On the C14 that's an issue as it's impossible to push start it with a flat battery.
I have had to push start my motorcycles a few times over the years due to failed batteries.
These days I have Breakdown Recovery so I would call them and get them to jump start the bike so I can get it home.

Most decent batteries last 4-8 years depending on how they are treated.
I don't consider Yuasa to be a decent battery. Most of the failed batteries I have had were Yuasa.
They suffered (and so far as I can tell from the numbers of failed Yuasa motorcycle batteries on various forums, still suffer) from a design flaw where a weld between 2 cells will break, which renders the whole battery useless.
Since I stopped using Yuasa, I have not had one single battery failure. They just fade away giving fair warning that they are soon going to die.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline hank

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »
Any recommendations on a good reasonable priced battery? Thanks

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 01:12:51 AM »
This is what I use in my 2008 C14. MotoBatt MBTX12U.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393910548406

For some reason lots of sellers are advertising the MBTX9U for the C14.
I'm pretty sure that the battery in the later C14s isn't smaller, but best to check the battery dimensions.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 04:52:08 AM »
That's the same one I used in my previous 2008.  Worked well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.