Author Topic: Bear Attack  (Read 8114 times)

Offline slerickson

Bear Attack
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
July 30th in Whistler BC a Black Bear with her 2 cubs decided the wanted to look inside my right saddle bag.  No food but a sandwich was transported in it from town back to the campsite the night before. Heard the crash from my tent and went to see what it was and saw the bear pulling the bag out from under the bike. The guy in the tent space next to mine watch the whole thing happpen and didnt say a word.  Even watched me chase the bear off after i saw what was going on. Duct taped the bag back together and JB Welded the Stator cover to get back to Kansas.  Does anybody have any right side plastics out there? Help a Brother out.  8)
In Loving Memory of My Wife
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Bear Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »
 :yikes:

Wow, that's crazy!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
As Steve would say, low fob batteries?
Nice job BTW on the field repairs and happy the food was in the bike and not the tent.

Offline marcusorelius

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »
That's why I leave duke in his sidecase when camping! He's a bear killer I tell ya!  ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »
Holy crap! I can hear the story now to your insurance company.

A bear ate my bike!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline slerickson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
As Steve would say, low fob batteries?
Nice job BTW on the field repairs and happy the food was in the bike and not the tent.

No food was in the bag only carried it in the bag back to the camp.  Will give the bag/bike a wipe down with handy wipes next time.
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
Even something as harmless as a water bottle used at dinner can send the scent of food out, food to hand, hand to bottle.  "Food" for thoug to those who travel in bear country for sure.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
I was in Canadian Glacier National Park about 40 years ago. I was riding with 5 other guys and we had camped for the night. We didn't cook or eat anything as we got there late and had already  eaten dinner. The bears came in some time in the wee hours and made the most incredible mess. They tipped over every one of the bikes, tore open the packs left on the bikes, scattered everything they could get their hands (paws) on all over the place.

Among the more amazing things they did:
  One bear pulled so hard on a bungee cord (a good, sturdy one) so hard that it straightened out the wound metal of the hook where is attaches to the bungee.
  One bit through my pack and bit clean through, in two places, a fuel bottle I had that was filled with white gas (I still have that bottle somewhere).
  Somehow they manage to find every single piece of rain gear and tear it to pieces (of course it rained for the next five days).

But the most amazing thing was that everyone of us slept right through the whole thing (and we were -- strangely enough -- stone cold sober when we retired).

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
(and we were -- strangely enough -- stone cold sober when we retired).
Not buyin that for a minute.....  :o

Good to know these things as I head for bear country next week, will definitely think about where I stay and even where I park.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
Good to know these things as I head for bear country next week, will definitely think about where I stay and even where I park.

And what samich you tote around in the bags...  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvertip_bear

Read carefully, very carefully.  Pay particular attention to a special name for Grizzly bears.  What bear is considered meek, often avoiding humans?  Yes, the BLACK bear ;D ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
Yes, the BLACK bear ;D ;D

I hear the black ones are the fastest Chet, even with sammiches...  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

The only bear more fearsome than the SILVERTIP is the Polar Bear, which resides in climates not conducive to year round riding, whereas the SILVERtip is found in idealic areas that thrive with motorcyclists :)  Isn't Yogi Bear a BLACK bear?  "Hey der Boo Boo, where's the Park Ranger?" :P ::) :-*

OP, sorry for the hijack, but it's just, well, if ya had a Silverdammit bike the bear never woulda had a chance as Neutron Silver is easily excited and can't be run down, provided of course you have a fresh set of batteries in the fob :yikes:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
The only bear more fearsome than the SILVERTIP is the Polar Bear, which resides in climates not conducive to year round riding, whereas the SILVERtip is found in idealic areas that thrive with motorcyclists :)  Isn't Yogi Bear a BLACK bear?  "Hey der Boo Boo, where's the Park Ranger?" :P ::) :-*

OP, sorry for the hijack, but it's just, well, if ya had a Silverdammit bike the bear never woulda had a chance as Neutron Silver is easily excited and can't be run down, provided of course you have a fresh set of batteries in the fob :yikes:

;D ;D ;D     :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »

:rotflmao:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline slerickson

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
Well the verdict is in for a total of $3,200.00 damage on the right side. Better than I expected I know how exspensive that PLASTIC can be.  Should still be able to do my labor day run to Colorado again this year.
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Offline Summit670

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
I can't imagine tent camping and bears in camp.  Glad nobody got hurt.

We were camping north of Rocky Mtn Nat Park in the Red Feather Lakes area of colorado last week.  The campgrounds had recent reports of bears in the campgrounds.

We were boondock trailer (24' toy hauler) camping 5 miles south of Red Feather Lakes.  The 2nd night our dog had to go potty at 2am.

I peeked outside camper and nothing could be seen so I took dog out.

I had the portable spotlight and scanned the clearing we were in, shining into the treeline about 75 yards out.  As I panned the area, all of a sudden I notice a pair of eyes lit up by the spotlight staring back at me.  I don't know if it was a bear or deer, but after 15 seconds or so it turned and disappeared.  That was hair raising enough for me.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »

We were camping north of Rocky Mtn Nat Park in the Red Feather Lakes area of colorado last week.  The campgrounds had recent reports of bears in the campgrounds.

We were boondock trailer (24' toy hauler) camping 5 miles south of Red Feather Lakes.  The 2nd night our dog had to go potty at 2am.

I had the portable spotlight and scanned the clearing we were in, shining into the treeline about 75 yards out.  As I panned the area, all of a sudden I notice a pair of eyes lit up by the spotlight staring back at me.  I don't know if it was a bear or deer, but after 15 seconds or so it turned and disappeared.  That was hair raising enough for me.

Skunk ape?

Offline slerickson

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »

BIG FOOT?
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »
I have had more trouble with black bears over the years than browns by far. They have come into camp, stuck their head in my tent, and once a sow jumped in a small river I was floating trying to get to me in a raft. Luckily I have never had to actaully kill one but they sure don't like getting peppered with bird shot. Alaska is such a great place to live.