Author Topic: Busted for speeding and my lucky day  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Conrad

Busted for speeding and my lucky day
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
On my way in to work this morning, riding the back roads like I normally do (55 mph speed limit).

I'm coming up on a slower moving car, the only car I saw on the road thus far. I'm doing about 70 and I'm guessing the car is doing around 60. I go to pass and the guy driving the car decides to speed up. I show the guy what for and blast around him. He slows and I get in front of him and slow down too. In front of me is a slight hill and just as I get slowed a LEO pops over the hill. I pass him and check my rear view. ****, brake lights. I watch as he does a U turn and I'm looking for a good place to pull over. The LEO's lights are on now and I'm pulled over waiting for him. He approaches me and asks me how fast do I think that I was going.  Well, I'm pretty sure that he didn't see me go around the car so I tell him 70. He says close, 73. I explain to him about how the car sped up while I was passing, he wasn't buying that. I hand him my license and insurance card. He looks it over and tells me that he's going to issue me a citation. I plead my case and tell him that I haven't had a ticket in ~15 years yada yada... No sale. He tells me that he could write me up for improper passing because I got back in front of the car just before a no passing zone and if I hadn't been speeding that I would have been passing in a no passing zone. I was thinking WTF? No way that one would stick, besides, there's no way that he even saw any of that. Anyways, I didn't say a word as he walked back to his car to write me up. He radios in my info and then starts looking around in his car for something. He checks the back seat and then gets out and looks in the trunk. I'm thinking, rut row, this can't be good. Then he slams his trunk in frustration and walks back to me with my license and insurance card, nothing else. He tells me that this is my lucky day because he's all out of citations! Yeah baby! Keep in mind that I showed him nothing but respect the entire time. I said that I guess you had better go back to the station and get some more eh? He laughed and said that I'm lucky that he doesn't mail me my ticket. I thanked him for his time and I was gone.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

Re: Busted for speeding and my lucky day
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
He must be a Bears fan, eh? :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
Nice, congrats C!  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »
He must be a Bears fan, eh? :o

Packers, I'm sure of it.   ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
Nice, congrats C!  :chugbeer:

Thanks J!   :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
Thanks J!   :)

You should use the $ that you would have paid for the ticket for farkles...  ;)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
You know what gets me about this story is he was going to write the ticket even though you had a viable reason for going the speed you were. He probably realized a judge would drop the ticket or significantly drop the $$$'s, especially with your record. At any rate he just wanted to waste your time. I am not a big LEO fan, not a LEO hater but not a fan.

Rant complete.

Glad you got out of that one C.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »

I think he is using the$$ to pay his bookie, Quido is an impatient guy :-X

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
WINNING!!!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
You know what gets me about this story is he was going to write the ticket even though you had a viable reason for going the speed you were. He probably realized a judge would drop the ticket or significantly drop the $$$'s, especially with your record. At any rate he just wanted to waste your time. I am not a big LEO fan, not a LEO hater but not a fan.

Rant complete.

Glad you got out of that one C.

Thanks Tom.

I wondered the same thing. Maybe he thought better of giving me the ticket and just said that he ran out? I don't know why he would do that but I've never heard of a LEO running out of citations before. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »

:thumbs:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:54 AM »
Talk about lucky!

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
Mike Ditka was looking out for ya! 

Ditka.  Sausage....sausage.  Da Bears.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Thanks Tom.

I wondered the same thing. Maybe he thought better of giving me the ticket and just said that he ran out? I don't know why he would do that but I've never heard of a LEO running out of citations before.

I doubt that based on your description of what he was doing...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
Sounds to me like he was being an ass and you were polite to him the entire time despite him being such an ass, Then Karma caught up with him and the dumb ass realized he didn't even have any citation's left in his book so he couldn't write you up anyways.   lol

Nothing worse then getting screwed when you don't really deserve it...  Glad you were able to get away with no ticket.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »
When I see brake lights on a cop car, I put the hammer down for a bit.  ;D Then pull over on a side road. If they are persistent and keep coming, I will throw my hands up like where you been.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 11:46:17 PM »
No question, you did get lucky.  It was probably more accurate that he left the station and spaced his ticket book.  Probably didn't want to get teased when he went back to get it, or explain why he was writing a pile of belated tickets and paying postage to mail them out.

Obviously if you had been rude or antagonistic, he would have made it happen.  Always better to be professional, and not get overly emotional, though a little to show you strongly believe what you are saying can help.

Congrats, well done!
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
When I see brake lights on a cop car, I put the hammer down for a bit.  ;D Then pull over on a side road. If they are persistent and keep coming, I will throw my hands up like where you been.

That wouldn't have been prudent in my case. I have the only Connie in the area and there are not many bikes that travel the back roads that I ride. I stick out like a sore thumb in my hiviz gear.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »
No question, you did get lucky.  It was probably more accurate that he left the station and spaced his ticket book.  Probably didn't want to get teased when he went back to get it, or explain why he was writing a pile of belated tickets and paying postage to mail them out.

Obviously if you had been rude or antagonistic, he would have made it happen.  Always better to be professional, and not get overly emotional, though a little to show you strongly believe what you are saying can help.

Congrats, well done!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. No way he ran out of tickets that early in the morning.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
I passed a LEO in the weeds while enjoying some twisties at perhaps twice the posted speed of 25mph.  He pulled out and I started to behave better, hoping he would make nice.  He followed me into the near by town and I stopped for some water at a c-store.  He pulled up behind me and I thought I was going to at least get chewed out.  Seems he is a connie owner and wanted to see what Farkels I had, A real nice guy and told me to enjoy my day.

I too am not a big LEO fan, I know they have a crummy job dealing with a lot of bad people that hate them but I've been hassled for doing 62 in a 55 when I know all he was doing was fishing for drunks.  I haven't been cited in 35 years so either I'm lucky or sensible about when I cut loose, perhaps both are somewhat true. 
2008 C14 Non-ABS