Author Topic: Rear Brake Stuck. Has the ABS pump failed? (No stone caught in Linkage)  (Read 1000 times)

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
GTR1400 2008

I have gone for a "Warrant of fitness" for my bike and the Rear Brake has stuck down and won't come back up. (There is no stone caught in the linkage.)

Can anyone help with the possible issue. A dealer that currently has the bike for "sale on behalf" recons it is likely the ABS pump. They have checked for seized piston and linkage and say its all free!!!???

I have changed brake fluid regularly but have never activated the ABS pump. Either riding the bike or activating it electronically. There is no ABS light on.

Thanks.
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline Freddy

Hi XR6

It not very common but a handful of us have had the problem.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115485561972

It's me that does these up.  If interested, send me a PM and we can work out a bit better deal.

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
On my 08 it was congealed brake fluid in the rear Master Cylinder.
I ended up replacing the master cylinder.
I got lucky as it didn't affect the ABS pump.
It's my own fault as I rarely use the rear brake and hadn't bled it through with fresh fluid for 5+ years.
I now make a point of using the rear brake as often as I can and I bleed both brakes and the clutch through at least once per year.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Freddy

Yes, these brakes need fresh fluid.  XR6 and I have been in contact by PM.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
ABS units are very reliable unless you never change the brake fluid.  I do it every year and then go out and stomp the heck out of the brakes to actuate the ABS function.  As Boomer said also there were issues with the rear brake master cylinder clogging up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
As Boomer said also there were issues with the rear brake master cylinder clogging up.

On Gen 2 the linked brakes force using the rear brakes whenever the front is activated.  So at least it gets used. Although I don't think that exercises the rear master cylinder, though.  I, personally, almost never manually activate the rear brakes.  Maybe once in a blue moon when stopped on an incline at a light and need my right hand free for a moment.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
On my Indian I predominately use the rear brake as it seems better than the front (which doesn't make any sense on any level).  The rear brake on my 2008 C14 was virtually useless as far as I was concerned.  The front warps rotors just as much as the C14 did..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Not a problem if you don't use the rear brakes much, or even never, so long as you bleed fresh fluid through every 2 years.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Freddy

Update:  XR6 has ordered a recon exchange 4 pipe series 1 ABS unit from me.  It's on it's in transit to him.

The day before his post an owner of a 2012 series 2 with similar issues contacted me for help.  He's removed the ABS unit and it's in transit to me from the east coast.  I'm on the west coast of Aus.  It will be interesting to see inside it as I've not had my hands on the 5 pipe unit.

Offline connie14boy

On my 2009 ABS C14 with now 140k, I use the rear brake all the time and especially in the twisties, as it scrubs off just enough speed and "settles" the bike for the next corner. I change all fluids yearly with no problemos in 15 years. 

Offline berna1201

• berna1201
Re: Rear Brake Stuck. Has the ABS pump failed? (No stone caught in Linkage)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 02:06:02 PM »
hello
it is necessary to regularly drain the brake fluid and especially before making emergency braking on gravel tracks so that it activates the pumped ABS and that it removes the dirt of the solenoid valves.
I do not earn money with my blog, it is only for sharing.
side car GTR1000/JEWEL, "Mimile"
solo GTR1000 "Grisette"

Offline Freddy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 03:53:44 PM »
C14boy = that's the ticket!

Berna - yes, drain & flush the system every 2 years as per service schedule.  Braking on gravel is good to do but it does not remove dirt/crud.  The fact is that crud accumulates inside the rear master cylinder if the servicing is neglected.  Once it's in there, there is no way to get it out without replacing or at least cleaning the master cyl with a seal kit.  New master cyl is very cheap on ebay and they work perfectly. If the system has been neglected I would recommend fitting a new master cyl before bleed/flush otherwise all the crud will get trapped inside the ABS unit because it has very fine filter screens within and cause problems by blocking the solenoid valves.  In the ebay link above you can see some what comes of a failed ABS unit.  Do you have a 1400?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374297150062

Offline Freddy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 06:43:31 AM »
Another person contacted me for help a week ago.  He has a 2012 bike showing fault codes B86 & B87 and asked if I could fix it.  I said that I didn't know as I'd not had a series 2 unit in my hands.  He said he'd send it to me to see if I could do some magic with it as there are no used series 2 units on ebay anywhere in the world apparently (series 1 & 3 yes) at present.

The early 4 pipe ones are made by Nissin and have 4 solenoid valves within.  The later 5 pipe ones are made by Bosch and have 10 solenoid valves within and more electrical contacts.  I did the best I could to clean and flush the internals but I doubt that it's fixed as it has electrical issues, not crud issues like the earlier units.  I'll find out when he refits it in a week but l suspect that the last line of the fix will be required.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 08:39:23 AM »
Thanks for doing all this Freddy!  :chugbeer: :thumbs:

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 08:56:10 AM »
Freddy, I've got a 2010 ABS parts bike. ABS worked when I had to part it out. Do you need the box?
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 05:41:05 PM »
That's great BR.  The owner of the one above may soon want it.  I'll let him know of it if his still shows faults.  How much?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 06:39:17 PM »
I'll send you a PM
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 04:41:25 AM »
The owner of the ABS unit shown in reply 12 informs me today that after a 450km ride over the weekend it is working as it should.  Fingers crossed.   :popcorn: