Author Topic: another lowering link faux pas...  (Read 12850 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
another lowering link faux pas...
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
is there something wrong with this picture???

it is on this page, click the photo to see it:
http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/6878922.htm

here's a little hint....

I just love vendors that can't get it right..... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: another lowering link faux pas...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
OMG.  Where did you get that pic?  Is that of your bike?  Were the installation instructions wrong?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »
I don't get it, just looks like a 'sickle with the centre stand removed, like mine does right now.

What's the issue..?
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
I don't get it, just looks like a 'sickle with the centre stand removed, like mine does right now.

What's the issue..?

Hey- I think you are right.  Other than the too-large-a-nut hitting that flange (or maybe that is just tool damage), it might be fine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Took a peak.  All I saw was the center stand nut and bolt there.  Not a pass through, one on each side.  Got me curious there MOB?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
Lowering a bike not meant to be lowered is the problem.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
Lowering a bike not meant to be lowered is the problem.

Uh oh.... here we go...

No bike is "meant" to be lowered.  But it is a lot more feasible than leg lengthening surgery.  Cheaper, faster, and less painful.  Humans weren't "meant" to be zooming around on two wheeled beasts, either.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
Uh oh.... here we go...

No bike is "meant" to be lowered.  But it is a lot more feasible than leg lengthening surgery.  Cheaper, faster, and less painful.  Humans weren't "meant" to be zooming around on two wheeled beasts, either.

Lowering many motorcycles typically isnt a good idea, but do what you must so that you may own/ride the bike you like. Riding around on 2 wheels is no more strange than doing so on 4, actually 2 wheels may have been first. A tall bike is designed and intended to be tall for a reason, and a lower bike is designed and intended in the same manner.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
Lowering many motorcycles typically isnt a good idea,

True

but do what you must so that you may own/ride the bike you like. Riding around on 2 wheels is no more strange than doing so on 4, actually 2 wheels may have been first

Also true & true

A tall bike is designed and intended to be tall for a reason, and a lower bike is designed and intended in the same manner.

Yep, and as soon as a [significantly] lower [seated, not necessarily framed] (and perhaps lighter) bike is available with a modern, fuel injected, 4 cylinder, 16 valve, vibration free, large displacement, high-revving, efficient, and quiet engine with suitable electronics, fairings, and instrumentation and such, I will be most interested.  Until that time, it is basically a design conspiracy.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »
Hey- I think you are right.  Other than the too-large-a-nut hitting that flange (or maybe that is just tool damage), it might be fine.

I can only guess that MOB thought the center stand has a single through bolt going through the front hole on the suspension arm and they left it out. It doesn't, there are three bolts, 2 for the center stand and a third for the front hole of the suspension arm. At least that's what I see, and what I guess he thought. However guessing what others are thinking has not served me well over the years, so maybe MOB will return and enlighten us.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »
And clicking on the link provided takes you to the product page where the first sentence tells you that the center stand will not work with this product.  What are we missing here? OP???
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
And clicking on the link provided takes you to the product page where the first sentence tells you that the center stand will not work with this product.  What are we missing here? OP???

Correct, that design is an adjustable lowering kit- and they are incompatible with center stands.  That is the main reason I chose the non-adjustable Muzzy lowering link.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
OMG.  Where did you get that pic?  Is that of your bike?  Were the installation instructions wrong?

Max...... what are you seeing in this picture that appears wrong? Yours and MOB's post give the idea that something is wrong. What are we missing? It looks like adjustable links with no centerstand.

2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
Max...... what are you seeing in this picture that appears wrong? Yours and MOB's post give the idea that something is wrong. What are we missing? It looks like adjustable links with no centerstand.

I already corrected myself in a posting, above.  I incorrectly saw something wrong, when there is nothing wrong.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
MOB is out of beer and got bored so he decided to create a toxic topic :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
I already corrected myself in a posting, above.  I incorrectly saw something wrong, when there is nothing wrong.

Is that wrong?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
Is that wrong?

I just re-read my last post and realize it is totally whack.  I wish you would just delete this whole topic!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »
I just re-read my last post and realize it is totally whack.  I wish you would just delete this whole topic!!

Having fun tonight Max?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:13 AM »

Having fun tonight Max?

Max doesn't drink but he never said anything about that 'other stuff'.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Max doesn't drink but he never said anything about that 'other stuff'.    ;)
That may explain the vertical challenges he faces 8)