Author Topic: ProjektD lift handle  (Read 14470 times)

Offline Gsun

ProjektD lift handle
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
Has anyone installed the ProjektD lift handle. I use the center stand a lot and it is hard to get a grip when the bags are on.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=171

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ProjektD lift handle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Interested also.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »

Having the bags on shouldn't even come into play, you should have your hand on the handle behind the rear bag mount and in front of the rear luggage rack, same place that a passenger would hold on to... See pic, lucky for you I'm currently in the garage...  ;)

Also just FYI your hand shouldn't be doing any work, just use your hands for bike balance (right hand rear grab bar, left hand on left grip), you push down on the center stand with your foot to get the bike up on the stand.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
Little bit of help won't heard...btw, not everyone here is 6 feet+.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
Little bit of help won't heard...btw, not everyone here is 6 feet+.

I'm 5'8", she pops right up like toast...

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
Man, sorry to hear that.  ;D
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Man, sorry to hear that.  ;D

Hear what? You got something against toast?  ???

Offline Gsun

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
I can get the bike up, but am thinking it would be easier with a handle. I am only 140 lbs. and need all the help I can get!!

Offline TonyR

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
I'm 5' 10", 175 lb, grab the rear stand on the center stand as hard as I can and have trouble getting it up. What am I missing?

Tony

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
The technique is not to pull the handle, but to step/stand on the center stand. Step hard, give all your 5'10" and 175 lbs.
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Gsun

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

Having the bags on shouldn't even come into play, you should have your hand on the handle behind the rear bag mount and in front of the rear luggage rack, same place that a passenger would hold on to... See pic, lucky for you I'm currently in the garage...  ;)

Also just FYI your hand shouldn't be doing any work, just use your hands for bike balance (right hand rear grab bar, left hand on left grip), you push down on the center stand with your foot to get the bike up on the stand.
Thanks for the input. Went out and tried grabbing where you show and it is not any easier than where I usually grab. If the bags are full and the top box, it would actually probably be harder.  I have to rock the bike a bit to get enough leverage on the stand as well. So, back to the original question, has anybody tried the handle?

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
I usually grab it by the left passenger peg mount, and lay my right arm up against the left saddlebag. Pull up on the mount while stepping down on the centerstand tab...voila! Works for me.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline gadallah

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »
I have it and I like it a lot. I had no trouble putting the bike on the center stand before, but this makes it way easier. I had a Goldwing 1800 and currently also own a FJR1300. The C14 is the hardest to raise due to the wide stance when holding the grab rail. I am 5'9.  Sam

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:28 AM »
It already has two handles, one on each side.  This is the easiest bike I've ever had to get on the center stand.  For anyone that wants lessons I take beer, preferably in glass bottles.

:offtopic:   As we're discussing the center stand and as a reminder for those that haven't heard of this before.....  Please don't put it on the center stand on hot asphalt.  It may sink in and cause a tip over.   You're better off using the side stand in that situation.  We've had a couple of reports of just that.  Mine sunk in as well but not enough to cause a tip over.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:56:28 AM »
It already has two handles, one on each side.  This is the easiest bike I've ever had to get on the center stand.  For anyone that wants lessons I take beer, preferably in glass bottles.

:offtopic:   As we're discussing the center stand and as a reminder for those that haven't heard of this before.....  Please don't put it on the center stand on hot asphalt.  It may sink in and cause a tip over.   You're better off using the side stand in that situation.  We've had a couple of reports of just that.  Mine sunk in as well but not enough to cause a tip over.

Grrr...  got that t-shirt.  Reformed center stand abuser.

As for lifting it up, I believe it's a technique thing.  My neighbor couldn't put his ZZR1200 up on the center stand to save his life.  I am 40 lbs lighter and 4" shorter, and popped it right up.  After he watched me, he could do it.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
Yeah, it has to be technique. I'm 5'5" 160lbs and I can put her on the CS while wearing flip flops, no problemo. Just step on her hard and up she goes.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
The technique is like judo or karate (and I know the latter quite well). You use the "opponent's" weight to make it go where it doesn't want to go. It's not about strength.

READ the manual. It actually explains it. One of the simplest bikes to get onto the centerstand I've owned. The Project D thingie isn't going to make much difference (opinion) since there's already a handle to grab on the bike and it's in the right damn place. It's all one fluid motion . . . and I'm 170 soaking wet, so the bike outweighs me 4:1.

Technique guys! When I rode Wings, I watched a teeny little woman that I probably could've tucked under my arm and walked around with, demonstrate how to pick up a Wing that had been dropped. She didn't look big enough to pick up a full shopping bag, but had no trouble getting the Wing up in one fluid motion. Same deal here.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
I have never really had a problem getting any bike on the CS, but without a chain to clean, I have yet to find a compelling reason to put the Connie up on it. Am I missing something?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
I have never really had a problem getting any bike on the CS, but without a chain to clean, I have yet to find a compelling reason to put the Connie up on it. Am I missing something?

Service?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gsun

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
I just find it better to load up, clean up, etc. I can also rotate both tires to get at the valve stems or clean the wheels.