Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Mike2011

• 2011 Concours 14 in Atomic Sliver
Hi everyone!
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
My name is Mike and I hail from Beavercreek, Ohio!  Just rode home my new-to-me 2011 Concours.  The ride was about 70 or 75 minutes give or take and I am still trying to get the smile off my face! 😎  Anyway, looking forward to learning everything I can from the more seasoned Concours riders here on this forum!

Cheers!

Offline O.C.

Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:38:15 AM »
A warm welcome from Northern Ireland Mike  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:10:08 AM »
Good morning Mike, and welcome to the forum!!!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 05:26:02 AM »
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new bike.

Not really much to learn and most of us do not do much to the bike, basically just enjoy it stock.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  ;) ;D

Keep that credit card and a phone handy, we will have you hip- deep in farkles in no time.

Brian

My name is Mike and I hail from Beavercreek, Ohio!  Just rode home my new-to-me 2011 Concours.  The ride was about 70 or 75 minutes give or take and I am still trying to get the smile off my face! 😎  Anyway, looking forward to learning everything I can from the more seasoned Concours riders here on this forum!

Cheers!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
Welcome Mike! Don't worry, the farkling on this bike will only eat up about 10-20% of your gross income. Unless of course your ZG, then were talking 2nd jobs and 2nd and 3rd mortgages for most people (inside joke). But seriously you could put 100,000 miles on this bike bone stock and life would be good!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Nice Steve, nice. Suck the poor new guy in.

Don't listen to him Mike- that bike is already drilling a hole in your pants pocket looking for a credit card! It is a bottomless pit.

Not to imply it is not a pleasant bottomless pit though....

Brian

Welcome Mike! Don't worry, the farkling on this bike will only eat up about 10-20% of your gross income. Unless of course your ZG, then were talking 2nd jobs and 2nd and 3rd mortgages for most people (inside joke). But seriously you could put 100,000 miles on this bike bone stock and life would be good!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
Welcome, Mike!  I know where Beavercreek is.  I've actually stayed there a time or two or three.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mike2011

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I must admit ive been eyeballing farkles already...  My last bike was a KLR and I did a lot of farkling mods to her plus the doo-hickey mod! Any tips on pinning my bags?  Do or dont?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »
Well, you have the new latches on it and have had a report or two on the bags depth charging.  I have the Zsteve bars that fasten them very securely to the bike.  He came up with the idea and I've used them since then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/282591104597?hash=item41cbbe0e55:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw&vxp=mtr
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mike2011

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
 8)

Well, you have the new latches on it and have had a report or two on the bags depth charging.  I have the Zsteve bars that fasten them very securely to the bike.  He came up with the idea and I've used them since then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/282591104597?hash=item41cbbe0e55:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw&vxp=mtr

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Hi, I'm Mike from Beaver Creek, CO. I have owned a 2011 Connie since new. I used to live in OH and I have been to Beavercreek. I live now in Beaver Creek, CO because you cannot teach skiing in Beavercreek, OH.

Offline Mike2011

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »
This my 2011 in  "Atomic Silver"  ;D
Current Farkles: After market windscreen (no idea what brand) -- Corbin seat -- Helibars -- Projekt D lift assist handle...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:38:24 PM by Mike2011 »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi Mike.
Your gonna like it here.

I also have the Zteve bars that VirginiaJim  posted.
They work, but can get lost or installed incorrectly.
Pinning the bags will absolutely keep them in place and it's a lot cheaper.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
Some people pin the bags, others use an aftermarket contraption. I personally use my wife, who rides with her hands resting on the bags. :-)  And for the ultimate 'fast 'n dirty' but effective fix, strap a tie- wrap around the locking lugs.

Once in a while, a C-14 does spit a saddlebag off in mid- flight for no apparent reason. My personal theory is that there is simply enough factory clearance to allow that to happen and so eventually it does just so for no reason beyond 'odds'. But there is no proof as to exactly what happens to cause them to 'fly'.

Brian

Thanks everyone!  I must admit ive been eyeballing farkles already...  My last bike was a KLR and I did a lot of farkling mods to her plus the doo-hickey mod! Any tips on pinning my bags?  Do or dont?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
Some people pin the bags, others use an aftermarket contraption. I personally use my wife, who rides with her hands resting on the bags. :-)  And for the ultimate 'fast 'n dirty' but effective fix, strap a tie- wrap around the locking lugs.

Once in a while, a C-14 does spit a saddlebag off in mid- flight for no apparent reason. My personal theory is that there is simply enough factory clearance to allow that to happen and so eventually it does just so for no reason beyond 'odds'. But there is no proof as to exactly what happens to cause them to 'fly'.

Brian

I hear Forrest Gump, "That day, for no particular reason, one of my bags dropped off the bike..."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »
Oh, there's always a reason.   May not be apparent at the time, but there's always a reason.