Author Topic: Exhaust popping on deceleration  (Read 6495 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Exhaust popping on deceleration
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
I expected this possibility after adding full exhaust, PCV and pulling the flies. Do I just plug that airbox line or is there more to it than that?
I took it out for a first ride last night. Happy and a bit disappointed at the same time. I got the used Ti-Force exhaust from a member here for a decent price. It sounds a bit too "tuner car" for me really. It isn't near as annoying as tuner car exhausts but it does have a similar sound.
I was wanting to reach the power where I could just roll on the throttle and get it to wheelie in first. It does this now but quite a bit higher up in the powerband than I expected. It starts lifting about 6K and then goes overboard around 7500 and have to let off to keep from going over too far. That is the good part! The bad is that it feels like it lost a lot of bottom end torque. I was hoping pulling the flies would more than make up for the freer flowing exhaust on the bottom end.
I"ll take it to the dyno is a couple weeks and check the map in the PCV as it seems overly rich on the bottom as well.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline OregonLAN

Re: Exhaust popping on deceleration
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Find the small hose that goes into the air cleaner box. Remove it. Jam something in the tube to plug it up. Return the hose (or not) to the air cleaner box.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »
Any explanation why this does this after exhaust and PCV mods?
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Environmentalists hate you all! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

Sounds like a tuning issue more than an exhaust issue.  I have a full Muzzy's (for a ZX-14) and I didn't notice any loss of power anywhere in the powerband.  On the contrary I felt a little more pull through the whole rev range.  What tune are you running?  If a new tune doesn't fix it you could think about an auto-tune or an actual trip to a dyno.  I have several good tunes that I have used.  My current tune (I would be happy to email it to you) is one that Wanderlust sent me that he uses in his PCV.  It was made for Muzzy duals, flies out, and K&N IIRC.  My bike runs like a raped ape.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
I was going to buy an AutoTune but welding the bung to my exhaust concerns me. Mine is full titanium and unless I can get a titanium bung for the O2 sensor, it isn't worth the risk of welding on it. I did a little research on welding titanium and I wouldn't trust any MC shop to try welding on it.
I intend to take it to local dyno shop but their dyno guy just went out for shoulder surgery and won't be back until the 12th or 16th. I can't remember exactly what date he told me.
It is possible that I am not clearly remembering the power in the bottom end. I had been riding a buddy's modded V-Max just an hour before I got mine finished and ready to test ride. His V-Max is just freaking ridiculous! I usually ride balls on the tank. First time I hit the throttle on the V-Max it instantly slid me back to the back rest on his seat. I have never felt anything pull that hard and violent!!!

I'd love to get a copy of that map. Should be close to mine anyway. I have the full single exhaust, flies out and K&N filter. Maybe just to compare to my current map.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »
Find the small hose that goes into the air cleaner box. Remove it. Jam something in the tube to plug it up. Return the hose (or not) to the air cleaner box.

^^^^^^Thats the fix. Common solution for the c14 and ZX14. if you don't plug plug that you'll get the vicious pop.  Al Gore is not appreciative!

Brock's and other exhaust manufacturers supply the plug with the pipes.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Axxman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
Anyone know the diameter of the tube so i can buy something to plug it?

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
The tube is just about the size of a Marks A Lot pen cap. That's what I ended up jamming in mine :)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/392522/Avery-Marks-A-Lot-Permanent-Markers/

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »

The line feeds a PAIR valve. The PAIR valve injects air into the exhaust system to help burn off excess gasses and fumes. The popping isn't as noticeable with the stock exhaust because it acts like a muffler and provides more back pressure to the engine than an aftermarket exhaust.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Very strange, can't say I really notice any popping with my Area P. ???
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »
I have an area P and had some mile popping. I plugged the pair and it stopped. The popping never bothered me and now I can't remember why I blocked the pair valve.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
Mine was pretty mild for the most part but just before I pulled into my addition I had ran it up a bit in 2nd and then coasted down in gear for a ways. It popped once that was way too loud. Louder than a gunshot. Don't need that in the neighborhood.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
Which ever way you go, plugged or unplugged, do it before you spend the money at the dyno.