Author Topic: Stator Problem? or Precursor to fried Battery ... (aka Plasma Ball Saga)  (Read 31671 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
One more thing.  Maybe two.  But one for sure.

I replaced the electrical box on the ABS pump with a used one, bled and tested the brakes - ABS works fine now and that irritating ABS light is no longer constantly lit.

Big thanks to SISF for the help with the ABS pump.

The other thing isn't really a thing but still irritates me...  The fuel level indication is still wonky and I don't get the low fuel warning.  Still pondering if it is worth the expense to replace the float assembly.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
The other thing isn't really a thing but still irritates me...  The fuel level indication is still wonky and I don't get the low fuel warning.  Still pondering if it is worth the expense to replace the float assembly.

I was sitting here thinking about recommending that you run the tank almost out of fuel and then inserting one of those cheap cameras that attach to a cell phone....and then I thought ...just what Tree needs.. a spark from a cell phone camera in a gas tank of fumes.... :banghead: :doh: ..he hasn't yet had enough problems. ::)

Still, you could perhaps run it low and drain it and remove the fuel pump and check out the little silver thingy (thermosistor) to see if it's still electrically connected and not internally open (electrically speaking open, should be some measurable ohms there).

The float mechanism:

other tank photos courtesy of Fred Harmon: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/c14fuelpump

Offline Tree

I had the opportunity to fiddle with the tank level mechanism when I had the tank out for the ABS pump.  I briefly thought about it but I ran out of time and didn't want to open that can-o-worms.  Like I mentioned, it might not be a thing at all - just irritating.

The tank level indication does vary, it just doesn't vary as much as it should to get the low level warning or turn off the last 2 LCD sections.  It's like the resistance of the potentiometer shifted and reads lower than before the "event".

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Did you check for a low fuel warning eliminator? Sounds exactly how a C-14 acts when one of those is installed, other than the fuel gauge will go down to one bar, but never to [no] bars. The low fuel warning is really pretty close to binary, and it is either there and working or it is not; if not, you will get warnings and a flashing fuel level on the main LCD. No a warning page but rather the fuel indicator tree will  light on the top and bottom alternating in one- second intervals. Not something anyone could miss or 'live with'. So if the display is otherwise functional and working properly, I suspect the bike is wearing a low fuel warning indicator, and there is no situation I can think of where that function can fail without the rider noticing something is wrong immediately other than using a L.F.W.E.

As for the fuel level bars, they are entirely separate from  the low fuel warning system and so if that will not go below two bars, something is wrong, most likely with the sender. The service manual has the test parameters for the fuel gauge and it is quite easy to check, although you do have to have the fuel level sensor out to do that.

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

I hear what you're saying but I didn't mod the bike to eliminate the warning, L.F.W.E. or otherwise.  Before the event I did get the low fuel warning with the LCD screen alternating between "Low Fuel" and the gas tank icon, the Red light indicated too.  Since the event I have not received the warning with an empty tank, and that has been with 2 instrument clusters (original and a new/used one).  I have a good idea what my range is on a tank of fuel so I'm not fretting about getting stuck out in the boonies.

I don't understand the circuitry so I appreciate the clarification.  Again, not a horrible problem, just irritates the crap out of me sometimes.

Did you check for a low fuel warning eliminator? Sounds exactly how a C-14 acts when one of those is installed, other than the fuel gauge will go down to one bar, but never to [no] bars. The low fuel warning is really pretty close to binary, and it is either there and working or it is not; if not, you will get warnings and a flashing fuel level on the main LCD. No a warning page but rather the fuel indicator tree will  light on the top and bottom alternating in one- second intervals. Not something anyone could miss or 'live with'. So if the display is otherwise functional and working properly, I suspect the bike is wearing a low fuel warning indicator, and there is no situation I can think of where that function can fail without the rider noticing something is wrong immediately other than using a L.F.W.E.

As for the fuel level bars, they are entirely separate from  the low fuel warning system and so if that will not go below two bars, something is wrong, most likely with the sender. The service manual has the test parameters for the fuel gauge and it is quite easy to check, although you do have to have the fuel level sensor out to do that.

Brian