Author Topic: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...  (Read 3147 times)

Offline r2t2

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »
It's been quite a while since I last posted. It became rather depressing reading about the bikes and riding when I couldn't.  It's been a roller coaster ride of a year. I  was slammed at work (but finally have help) and my back became such a royal pain that I went under the knife back in August. I only goat about 100 miles of riding in... That truly sucks.  The pain was so bad that I even had to sell the Miata because I couldn't bear even sitting in it for more than a few minutes. The Miata was replaced with a 2002 (bugeye) WRX and that's been about the only thing that I could drive/ride that is still fun.

I had to have the L5 and L4 fused, a disc replaced, another disc repaired and a fair amount of metal (screws) added to my anatomy. I'm really hoping that I get the green light to ride this coming spring. I've jonesed so bad that I've actually fired the C14 up, sat on it and rev's the throttle.  :-[ That's desperation. The WRX has helped to lessen the agony, but I still wanna ride!

The back IS getting better and I'm enjoying the (nearly) pain free lifestyle... ;D I guess skiing is out this season, so I really can't wait for spring (and the surgeon's blessing to ride).  So, I feel good enough that I'm starting to re-visit motorcycle sites again... I was hoping that my Christmas present was going to be told that I would no longer be required to wear the brace, but that's not gonna happen. I'll be in the brace for at least 6 months...

Well, that's it for now. I just wanted to say hi and I'm not dead yet!

Later.
RayK
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

Re: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
I had a Micro Discectomy Oct12th.  Back felt better, but not right, went elk hunting a month later, Pappy and I got our elk, buddy hauled em both out.  I just had another MRI, this one with contrast dye.  Reading the report it looks worse then when I went in the first time, I'll know more next thursday, intial speculation was more surgery, not sure what.  I went out to fire up the 14, she was deader then a door nail.  Had some help to wheel the bike into the shop, yanked batter and it is on a charger.  While I was waiting on that I decided to paint my KLR, the plastics are all done and I have decided to name her "Sanddammit".  Look pretty sharp for an ugly bike.  Next up will be the ZX TBs, starting that Monday after an appointment for Pappy.  Everything will be at eye level, heaviest lifting will be the almost empty tank.  Since I have her in the shop I will have some heat and no rush to get her done, cant ride her anyway........I'm not looking to get cut on again, but I need to be right by this Spring.  I have a lot of reloading I need to do, I feel like that should be OK, but I wont know untill I begin.  I was hoping to be back to work by know, looks like I wont return 'till mid Jan.................  I do know we will have a bunch of boards all milled up and my shop should be back in order.  I will also install a sliding garage door opener so I can start parking my bike inside as she deserves.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
Hope you don't mind some advice.
I personally have had 2 back surgeries now. First was a double disc replacement on L3 & 4, the 2nd. was a clean-up of some scar tissue and scrape a disc that was nicked during the first surgery.
My best advice is simple, stretch as often as possible, especially after sitting a while. And keep the weight off the middle, in other words, a small spare tire along the belt line. I have found that doing both keeps the muscles and ligaments pretty loose. This works for me, just some input that might help.
Ride safe all, and please ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline r2t2

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
I'm fortunate to have found a PT therapist that is also a Pilates instructor. She has me on a regime that has worked wonders. I really feel like crap if I don't do my routine in the morning. The weight's slowly dropping, but the upside in that some of the lard is being replaced with muscle mass. I'm following the medical instructions (probably for the first time in my life) and I do NOT want to back under the knife. It's kind of funny, you get surgery and have to go back in to the get the scar tissue cleaned up. The Connie is my carrot... So I have plenty of motivation to do the recovery right. 
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your health problems but great to see you back Ray. The 'old timer' C-14 folk are getting a bit thin around here lately.

Best of luck with both the health problems and riding in the future.

Brian

It's been quite a while since I last posted. It became rather depressing reading about the bikes and riding when I couldn't.  It's been a roller coaster ride of a year. I  was slammed at work (but finally have help) and my back became such a royal pain that I went under the knife back in August. I only goat about 100 miles of riding in... That truly sucks.  The pain was so bad that I even had to sell the Miata because I couldn't bear even sitting in it for more than a few minutes. The Miata was replaced with a 2002 (bugeye) WRX and that's been about the only thing that I could drive/ride that is still fun.

<snip>

Well, that's it for now. I just wanted to say hi and I'm not dead yet!

Later.
RayK
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
Keep working on you back and avoid the knife . Now I just have to remove the Spare tire on my mid section ( think 40 pounds ) .

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about your health problems but great to see you back Ray. The 'old timer' C-14 folk are getting a bit thin around here lately.
Brian

I'm not thin at all and the holidays don't help one bit....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
A belated Merry Xmas guys... On Christmas day I went out into the garage, started the bike, sat on it and let IT make the vroom-vroom sounds...  :D I've been working on the machine religiously every day  :D  The improvement is there and it is getting better. Just damned slow! My goal is to ride to the upcoming Annual Bun Cooler in May of '12.

Are we there yet???
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
I had a stroke Apr 15th. Still not back to work, damn it. I didn't get much riding in this year at all. But I'll be ready in 2012.

Don't let the blood pressure get away.

My goal is to ride to the upcoming Annual Bun Cooler in May of '12.

I hope to see you there r2t2!
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:10:27 AM »
I cann't believe no one has said this yet! Why don't you ask Kenny Rogers?

Jack

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
  Hey Ray!
   I had the L-4-L5 fused and it worked out pretty good.....after time I bought an R32 VW on H & R coilovers (sprung tight!), A BMW K1200LT( Sold) and my lovely C-14......often the fusion works-have a great new year!!

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline r2t2

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Tim... That means we'll both be jonesin' to ride Lolo Pass! Looking forward to seeing you at Kooskia.

Jack... Good catch...  ;)

I VERY happy to hear that Mike. I'm rather tired of the few that tell me that I'm screwed and the fusion doesn't work... I just know that I won't be riding any Ducs, RRs or cruisers. I'm slowly losing some weight (and some of my gut) and I know that will help too. I'll just keep plugging along. Besides, I wanna get a chance to get a real ride on the Penske suspension...  ;D
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i