Author Topic: so whos been to alaska on a bike ?  (Read 5505 times)

valkmc

Re: so whos been to alaska on a bike ?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »

So how long is the ferry ride ? Does it make stops?
The ferry ride left Juneau at about 5am on Tuesday and arrived in Bellingham on Friday (not sure exact time but in the am). I will say it was not in my plans until the bike malfunctioned (thank you Kawasaki). I will say after riding as far as I did, from Central Florida to Alaska and around Alaska I was OK with the decision to get off the bike for a few days. I still had the ride from Bellingham to Ocala Fl so it wasn't like I was short changing myself. The ferry stopped several times and you could get off if wanted. I checked out Sitka and Ketichan, saw some sites, musems, bars, etc. There were somewhere around 30 bikes on the ferry and it wasnt hard to find their owners, I met all kinds, a young lady on a BMW who rode by herself, a father and his 16 yr old son riding from Alaska to South Carolina, the son on a new 250 kawasaki. We ate lunch  together most days and all spent time in the bar after watching sunsets on deck. Heard lots of stories from riders who have ridden all over the world, Europe, Austraila, as well as US, Alaska, Canada, etc.

I rode around 11,000 in six weeks so the boat ride did not defeat the purpose of the ride in my mind, I did miss the Cassier Highway which is something I wanted to do. I will return for that but I never considered this ride as my last to Alaska. The ride to and back were for me much more enjoyable than riding around Alaska in 55 degree weather and rain everyday for 10 days. I did really enjoy the coast Skagway, Haines, Juneau etc.

I would say the ferry is a personal decision, again I was forced into it but am glad I got to experience it. I had a great time, saw some great scenery and made some friends who I am still in touch with and have offered their homes as future destinations for long rides for me.

Offline lddave

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
Rode my Honda ST1100 to Hyder in 2001 , I do not consider Hyder to be Alaska it is just British Columbia .
2002 I rode the ST 1100 from Katy, Texas to Fairbanks . Had heard the weather folks mention Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan as being the coldest temperature during weather forecasts so since I had never been there I crossed into Canada south of there. Moteled it the whole trip. Spent a week in Fairbanks sightseeing with my wife . Made the trip up the Haul road. Stopped at the Yukon River bridge ate a very expensive burger there . Guy running the gas station tire store lived not too far from me before he ended up at the Yukon gas station. Stopped at the Artic Circle took a few pictures then used the outhouse there and got rid of the expensive burger. Past Coldfoot it started to rain road got muddy since we were two up on the bike we decided to head back to Fairbanks with a stop at Hot Spot cafe .
2007 went back on the KTM Adventure camped except a few nights.
The metal grading bridges mixed with rain make an interesting surface to ride on . Camp grounds were $15 to $20 a tent per night. Whitehorse has a large campground near the airport that was interesting with all the people from different countries . The bypass around Whitehorse has a truckstop that rents small rooms for a cheap price and the food was good. Tires are expensive riding buddy needed a rear tire and it was $200 for the tire no monting included.
It is a great adventure but expensive and the roads can be difficult but then I can say it was worth going.
Dave
IBA 178

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
I know if riding with Dave, and he says to take the lead cause he's tired... really there are deer and moose ahead...  :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Glad to see ya posting my friend!  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
On motorcycle trips I rode the Ferry in 1970 up from Saint Rupert to Haines after an extended trip around the lower 48 and then again from Haines to Vancouver Island in 1986 to catch a plane in Vancouver for a motorcycle trip in Europe. The Inside Passage portion (thru the Alaska Southeast archipelago) is very scenic if the weather is good however I am not much for being on the ocean and would probably choose travel by motorcycle now.

If you are camping in public campgrounds there is not much chance of being bothered by bears. Camp close to other campers, be aware of your surroundings, and don’t have any food near your tenting area unless it is totally sealed and bear proof. Black bears do sometimes visit the campground trash and are very curious creatures but again seldom a problem.  I have had them even stick them head in my tent and once an angry mama tried to catch a raft I was drifting a remote river in. The campsite bear ran away as soon as he recognized what I was. If you choose to get some pepper spray as a bear deterrent be sure to get the industrial strength stuff that is sold for that purpose and not something meant for personal protection. That said I don’t go far into the wilderness without bear protection of major caliber.