Author Topic: But it was illegal, I do not understand......  (Read 2387 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
But it was illegal, I do not understand......
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
This is probably headed to the arena but anyway.....

So the latest 'shoot 'em up' was in NJ, and apparently there were 'factions' (gangs? groups?) involved. Anyway, I found this tidbit fascinating:

"Mr. Onofri said multiple weapons were recovered from the scene, including a handgun with an “extended capacity magazine” that could hold more ammunition than permitted under state law."

Now how could it be that these people who shot 20 other people could possibly have extended, illegal magazines? Did they not know they were breaking the law by merely posessing them? Do we need to pass MORE laws about magazine capacity limits to ensure that no one could possibly have them? I do not understand how or why these people committing criminal acts, up to and including murder, would violate the state's magazine capacity laws? It is simply amazing.

Perhaps if NJ cuts the max. magazine capacity to 1/2 of whatever it is now this kind of behavior will stop?

Yeah, that's the ticket.  ;)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: But it was illegal, I do not understand......
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
 Let’s just make it illegal to own guns in New Jersey.
I’m sure that will stop all this illegal activity.   ;D ;D
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
Laws don't stop criminals.  If it did, we could just pass a law that makes it illegal to break the law and suddenly crime would disappear.  Laws generally just take rights away from the "good" people.  Of course, we need laws, but at some point, they do much more harm than good.  Most gun control laws are just completely illogical.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:40:25 AM »
We could just make New Jersey illegal so that everybody could be arrested and there would be no crime.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:41:19 AM »
We could just make New Jersey illegal so that everybody could be arrested and there would be no crime.

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
Y'all are totally missing the point. If we didn't need more laws "to protect us", why would we need politicians?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:31:57 PM »
SSHhhh...don't tell anyone, but.....................

THE WAY TO STOP A BAD GUY WITH A GUN IS A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/hero-civilian-in-tumwater-walmart-shooting-is-pastor-and-medic/281-565164739

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2018/06/18/armed-civilian-kills-gunman-stops-shooting-spree-at-walmart-in-washington-state/

I never can understand why people can't conceive of the fact that OUTLAWS don't obey the LAWS, that's why they are outlaws.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/fZLeaSWY37I

not trying to make serious crime into humor, but... it's taken way to lightly in my mind.

A very dear freind of mine, that I grew up with, was killed just over a year ago, as an innocent man simply sitting at a stoplight, while a high speed chase involving a car load of Crackheaded Gangsters had a high speed rolling shootout with another car, containing some other people of low reputations...
My pal, a highly respected art teacher at 3 local colleges, that didn't have a single violent thought, was shot in the head, and died a the scene, about 3 city blocks from work, and the best hospitals in the city.
The 3 Gangstah's, when finally tried, and found guilty (took wyyyyy to long), will likely never be on the street again, but as I followed this whole travesty, during the trials the individual Indictments were accessible for viewing.
The "list" of offenses, for each perp' where between 35-50 "laws" each broke, but the end result', the death of my pal, and also a 16 yr old kid, that they were chasing, were only 2 items out of the total 'crimes' committed by each.

stuff like this:
"The jury found xxxxxx guilty of all charges: two counts of aggravated murder, two counts of murder committed as a result of discharging a firearm on a public roadway, two counts of murder committed as a result of a felonious assault, two counts of discharging a firearm on a public roadway, four counts of felonious assault, and one count of improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.
The jury also found xxxxxx guilty CCW and the firearm specifications including a five-year drive-by shooting specification."

Type     Statute           Description                                    Disposition
INDICT   2903.01.A   AGGRAVATED MURDER   PLD GLTY- N/C LIO-AMEND @ P/T
INDICT   2903.01.A   AGGRAVATED MURDER   PLD GLTY- N/C LIO-AMEND @ P/T
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                            NOLLE
INDICT   2923.162.A(3)   DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ON OR NEAR
                             PROHIBITED PREMISES            NOLLE
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                            NOLLE
INDICT   2923.162.A(3)   DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ON OR
                               NEAR PROHIBITED PREMISES   NOLLE
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                                         NOLLE
INDICT   2903.11.A(2)   FELONIOUS ASSAULT          NOLLE
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                                   NOLLE
INDICT   2903.11.A(2)   FELONIOUS ASSAULT           NOLLE
INDICT   2903.11.A(2)   FELONIOUS ASSAULT   PLD GLTY- N/C LIO-AMEND @ P/T
INDICT   2903.11.A(2)   FELONIOUS ASSAULT   PLD GLTY- N/C LIO-AMEND @ P/T
INDICT   2923.16.B   IMPROPERLY HANDLING FIREARMS
                                      IN A MOTOR VEHICLE             NOLLE
INDICT   2923.12.A(2)   CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS   NOLLE

the above criminal plead out, so they tossed all the (NOLLE) charges,

but the other 2 got trial by Jury, so...
Type         Statute   Description                                    Disposition
INDICT   2903.01.A   AGGRAVATED MURDER   FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.01.A   AGGRAVATED MURDER   FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                            FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2923.162.A(3)   DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ON
                          OR NEAR PROHIBITED PREMISES   FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                                  FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2923.162.A(3)   DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ON
                         OR NEAR PROHIBITED PREMISES   FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                          FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.11.A(2)   FELONIOUS ASSAULT   FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2903.02.B   MURDER                              FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2923.16.B   IMPROPERLY HANDLING FIREARMS
                                   IN A MOTOR VEHICLE        FND GLTY - JURY
INDICT   2923.12.A(2)   CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS   FND GLTY - JURY

I realize the whole 'total' picture had to play out to fully prosecute, but in reality the outcome was tragic....
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/37319980/jury-deliberating-in-trial-of-3rd-suspect-accused-in-professors-murder

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36852086/watch-live-2-men-being-sentenced-for-murder-of-cleveland-state-professor

sick part is, being local, and involving a person I have known most of my life, simply accessing court records, and info, (which anyone can do), I've read the 'appeals' on both 'found guilty', which only cost $114 each to file... and find them both insulting to anyone with a brain.

My wife was always about "rights to a just trial" when she was an attorney...
but in crimes like this, the second the decision was made to 'play', all rights became moot....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:54:38 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »
involving a car load of Crackheaded Gangsters had a high speed rolling shootout with another car, containing some other people of low reputations

What is even more sad is that I can just bet all those "gangsters" had violent rap sheets already, and yet were roaming the streets, terrorizing innocent people.  And probably pleaded out before, or were released early to free up more "space" in the prison system.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
Yeah, but if Modern Sporting Rifles and large capacity magazines were made illegal, I am sure they would respect those laws and forgo using firearms..... Yeah, that's the ticket.

Brian

What is even more sad is that I can just bet all those "gangsters" had violent rap sheets already, and yet were roaming the streets, terrorizing innocent people.  And probably pleaded out before, or were released early to free up more "space" in the prison system.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »
Yeah, but if Modern Sporting Rifles and large capacity magazines were made illegal, I am sure they would respect those laws and forgo using firearms..... Yeah, that's the ticket.

Brian

the media reporting was erroneous... no rifle was ever used in this crime spree..
3 hand guns, an astra 9mm, a Berretta 9mm with an extended mag, and a Glock .40 with a 50 round drum mag

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
the media reporting was erroneous... no rifle was ever used in this crime spree..  3 hand guns, an astra 9mm, a Berretta 9mm with an extended mag, and a Glock .40 with a 50 round drum mag

And most importantly, all probably obtained illegally, and almost certainly owned/carried illegally, and absolutely used illegally.  But if we just had more laws restricting the legal purchasing of arms and ammo and the legal owning of them and carrying, that would make SO much positive difference...

Well, it *WILL* make a difference- but it is the exact opposite of what they think.  Crime will go up because good people can't defend themselves, and the major deterrence of "regular good people who might also be armed" erodes more and more.  It is just that simple.  It is supported by so much proven fact, and yet, so many people are still in complete denial about it.