Author Topic: Key stuck  (Read 7723 times)

Offline BrianK

Re: Key stuck
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »
Also my switch has gotten stuck before like 2 or 3 times but each time it was only for a minute or so of jiggling it so I thought maybe it was just a user error type of thing not realizing this is an issue so I guess you could say my bike has a history of this wish I knew I would of addressed this already
Road the bike about a month ago. Changed tires, clutch, brakes, rotors, brake lines, clutch line, coolant, oil, air filter, oil filter and rebuilt calipers

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »
Also my switch has gotten stuck before like 2 or 3 times but each time it was only for a minute or so of jiggling it so I thought maybe it was just a user error type of thing not realizing this is an issue so I guess you could say my bike has a history of this wish I knew I would of addressed this already

just answer the questions, please....
and having the switch stick a couple times helps, but is not the total picture here... what was being worked on....?
and when did it start last... immediately prior to this.????

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline BrianK

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
Road the bike about a month ago. Changed tires, clutch, brakes, rotors, brake lines, clutch line, coolant, oil, air filter, oil filter and rebuilt calipers

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »

OK, it's been on the charger a month... remove the charger, remove the battery, abrasively clean every connection point, including the connection on the frame, and all terminal connectors on cables, and the battery terminals... make them shiney, and use sandpaper... while the battery is out, squirt some WD40 in the key lock, insert the key and rap it a couple times with a rubber mallet, don't bash it, just rap it a couple times, then attempt to turn it back CCW while jiggling it... re-install the cables, and repeat this...
both pressing down on the key, and pulling up lightly as you attempt to turn it....
I'll be back...

Offline BrianK

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:21 PM »

OK, it's been on the charger a month... remove the charger, remove the battery, abrasively clean every connection point, including the connection on the frame, and all terminal connectors on cables, and the battery terminals... make them shiney, and use sandpaper... while the battery is out, squirt some WD40 in the key lock, insert the key and rap it a couple times with a rubber mallet, don't bash it, just rap it a couple times, then attempt to turn it back CCW while jiggling it... re-install the cables, and repeat this...
both pressing down on the key, and pulling up lightly as you attempt to turn it....
I'll be back...
Yes sir

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »
when you do the WD40 spray thing, also focus on the area of the ring/recess that the "knob" fits into on the housing when the key is removed, over by the 9 0'clock position, of the plate below when the key is removed... this is the location for the "activation" microswitch, and should be somewhat douched liberally with the spray, so it drains down and release the microswitch inner plunger...
I say this because I think it may be stuck, in a partially depressed and actuated position, as the lights and power should not really come on when you attempt to switch from RSS to On...
do that and again rap on the inserted key, this is the "K-Rock" thing that is eluded to, also pressing down on the key, and slipping your finger off, letting it "bounce" upwards also does a similar "jarring" of the actuator.

I'll be back after I finish my dinner...

Offline BrianK

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »
Did everything as instructed and the only difference being, which I think is a positive is I held my fob up to switch and now the bike truly wakes up when I push down.  The dash lights and the stove knob insignia mocks me but still zero movement. I guess my fob battery is dead......

Offline BrianK

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
Ok well both my thumbs and pointer fingers are rubbed raw from hours of trying to turn that stupid stove knob I have to pack it in for the night it's almost 10pm here.  Thanks for all the help and unfortunately the knob never gave any indication that it was going to turn at all.  Wd40 and a rubber mallet didn't help. I didn't overdo anything so I'm confident I didn't add to the issue and my battery connections are a lot cleaner and shinier than they were before so hey at least that's a win.  Anyone has any other ideas please please please chime in I'll be back at this madness tomorrow evening :thumbdown

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 08:02:43 PM »
2009 13k miles and yes stuck in FSS position. The only thing that happened when I first tried to turn key was the red blinking light came on so if you consider that waking up then yes bike woke up. Key comes right out but will not turn one iota

You are not really answering my question. for sure  If the bike knob is in either lock or fss, when you press down on the knob when the active fob is in range, the bike should "wake up" for a few seconds, you should see the display turn on.  Is that happening?  Or does nothing happen when you press the knob down?

If nothing happens, then you most likely either have the classic spring issue with the switch being stuck OR the ignition/computer is not getting adequate power OR the active fob is out of range or dead.   You can't turn the key if the bike doesn't wake first (either from fss or off/lock).

Damn it, I read ahead and see...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BrianK

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
Yes bike wakes up,  it wasn't at first then when it did I thought for millisecond yay fixed but unfortunately no such luck so I am miffed right about now...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Did everything as instructed and the only difference being, which I think is a positive is I held my fob up to switch and now the bike truly wakes up when I push down.  The dash lights and the stove knob insignia mocks me

Ah, so your active fob battery is probably dead.  So replace that first

but still zero movement. I guess my fob battery is dead......

You used your active fob as a passive one by holding it directly on the "special spot", and the bike wakes, so that means the switch is NOT stuck (or at least it isn't anymore).  At that point, you should be able to turn the key.  If not, you had/have more than one problem at the same time.

Now I am stumped.  There should be a solenoid that activates when the bike wakes up, that is what allows the key to turn.  Perhaps that is also not activating- which could be physical or electrical.  If there is enough power for the computer to wake and turn the dash on, it should be enough power to also trigger the solenoid.  When the bike wakes from pushing the knob down, does it stay on for several seconds, or die almost immediately after waking?

And this is a stupid question, but I don't think the key will turn when it is depressed- you aren't trying to turn it while it is pushed down, are you?  Press, wake, release, turn.  Sorry, have to ask, not meant to be insulting.  The stranger the problem, the stranger the questions :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »
By the way, since you have a 2009, you don't have the stronger switch spring, unless you had the ignition switch worked on at some point after the new part came out (and the dealer knew about it).  So your model is going to be more prone to the switch problem than later models, especially due to age.  But you probably already knew that.

Offline BrianK

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:44 PM »
It stays on for several seconds and when it first comes on I can here a click sound which is probably the solenoid. Everything seems to be functioning as should be except it actually turning. All the way up 1/2 way down doesn't matter it won't move......

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
I am out of ideas now.  To me, it sounds like a mechanical failure related to the solenoid.  It might be activating, but not traveling fully, or some linkage being broken/stuck.  Just for giggles, did you try the spare non-knob metal key from inside the fob yet?  I can't imagine that would make any difference.  I am not a fan of WD40 or dousing, since it can cause problems later, and in this case, might not even be able to make it to the appropriate area.  It might require ignition disassembly :(

The only times I have ever had a problem turning the key (when the bike wakes) is moving from lock to off because the steering lock engage was putting too much pressure on the mechanism and it requires moving the steering a bit (pretty common in cars, too).  But that should not be an issue in the off, on, or fss positions.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 05:39:36 AM »
Sounds to me like the key is bent.  It happens, the key is made out of chocolate.  This especially happens if you take the key out and use it for it's intended purposes such as the gas hole, cases, and seat removal.  One of the reasons I NEVER EVER take it out of the ignition key hole. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 06:15:01 AM »
C'mon Jim, you do not take the key out of the bike because you do not own it anymore.  ;D

As to the bent key, I do not believe that could bind up the lock cylinder to prevent it from turning; removing the key, sure but the OP cannot turn the key.

We have been in touch via e-mail and this one is a head- scratcher. It is possible that the pin on the end of the solenoid is broken or stuck but I really doubt that. The only thing left is that the key cylinder itself is frozen inside the cylinder housing. I have never seen that but it is always possible for anything that moves mechanically to be frozen / corroded / physically damaged so it fails to turn. ??

Brian

Sounds to me like the key is bent.  It happens, the key is made out of chocolate.  This especially happens if you take the key out and use it for it's intended purposes such as the gas hole, cases, and seat removal.  One of the reasons I NEVER EVER take it out of the ignition key hole.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BrianK

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 07:23:32 AM »
I can assure you the issue is NOT a bent key.  The stove knob rarely leaves its perch and is in great condition

Offline BrianK

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
I am out of ideas now.  To me, it sounds like a mechanical failure related to the solenoid.  It might be activating, but not traveling fully, or some linkage being broken/stuck.  Just for giggles, did you try the spare non-knob metal key from inside the fob yet?  I can't imagine that would make any difference.  I am not a fan of WD40 or dousing, since it can cause problems later, and in this case, might not even be able to make it to the appropriate area.  It might require ignition disassembly :(

The only times I have ever had a problem turning the key (when the bike wakes) is moving from lock to off because the steering lock engage was putting too much pressure on the mechanism and it requires moving the steering a bit (pretty common in cars, too).  But that should not be an issue in the off, on, or fss positions.
Yes sir tried the spare ignition key with same result

Offline PH14

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
Yes bike wakes up,  it wasn't at first then when it did I thought for millisecond yay fixed but unfortunately no such luck so I am miffed right about now...

But what does the display say?

Offline BrianK

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
But what does the display say?
Same thing it has always displayed. A rendering of the stove knob with two arrows wrapping around it,  one pointing clockwise the other ccw