Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 720619 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3100 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:36 AM »
A new record was set last night.

My weather station has a lightening detector that detects all lightening within a 25 mile radius. Last nights storm produced 2100 strikes! The previous record was 1680.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3101 on: May 03, 2018, 05:56:00 AM »
Shocking!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3102 on: May 03, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
A new record was set last night.

My weather station has a lightening detector that detects all lightening within a 25 mile radius. Last nights storm produced 2100 strikes! The previous record was 1680.

There's gotta be a joke in there somewhere about this "lightening" you speak of.

Something to do with overweight ladies maybe. Yeah, and this new fangled device you have detects all the chubbies within 25 miles who are eating donuts ... yeah! ... and the device appropriately counts each of those events as a "strike".  8) This should definitely help America's obesity epidemic  :thumbs:

Oh, maybe change the name to a whether station ... as in, whether or not you want to be thin. Drop the donut chubby lady.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3103 on: May 04, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »

I'm glad that you and Tree are many states apart. He's had enough of that sort of thing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3104 on: May 04, 2018, 04:04:21 AM »
There's gotta be a joke in there somewhere about this "lightening" you speak of.

Something to do with overweight ladies maybe. Yeah, and this new fangled device you have detects all the chubbies within 25 miles who are eating donuts ... yeah! ... and the device appropriately counts each of those events as a "strike".  8) This should definitely help America's obesity epidemic  :thumbs:

Oh, maybe change the name to a whether station ... as in, whether or not you want to be thin. Drop the donut chubby lady.

Um, yeah.   :o   Your joke may need a bit more work.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3106 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »
Made me think of this:

http://youtu.be/zM1P0oc2-es

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3107 on: May 04, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
For whatever reason, this commercial struck me as hilarious......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_L-TZARjVs

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3108 on: May 04, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
Finally, something 'meaty' we can all sink our teeth into and yet has no real importance or meaning to get this thread back ONTOPIC (which of course means, having no topic).

So what was the most expensive single project of WWII? Most would certainly guess the Manhattan Project I am sure, as I would have before finding out the actual answer.....

Then answer is: the B-29 Superfortress. Easily the most expensive Allied project of WWII, and very probably the most expensive undertaking by any entity or group of entities during the war. At first it does not make much sense because something such as the Manhattan Project, the V2 project, or even something such as the U-Boat type XXI, the B-29 just does not seem to encompass any kind of new, 'cutting edge', never been done before technology. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The B-29 first and foremost needed a lot of power, more than was nominally available from piston engines. So new engine types, and new technologies were developed to force those horsepower from piston engines. And it was at a great cost, not so much perhaps in development but in practical usage; it was a long time before B-29's had <reasonably> reliable engines capable of powering the air-frame.

Another first was that the B-29 was a pressurized aircraft. That simple had not been done before, and there were a lot of 'hoops' to jump through to make it work..... mostly. Now the entire air-frame was not pressurized but the human containing compartments were, including a crawl-way from the cockpit to the tail gunner's position. That, in and of itself, may have been the greatest engineering feat of the entire aircraft. Not to mention the constant source of fear should the air-frame be damaged while someone was actually IN that pressurized crawl-way.

In the end, the air-frame was a success but only because it was not used as intended; instead of high altitude bombing with relatively large bombs, it was most effective against Japan at lower altitudes with smaller, incendiary bombs. Nevertheless, it inflicted tremendous damage to Japanese cities toward the end of the war, and of course due to its sheer size, was able to carry the less expensive but technologically newer atomic weapons to Japan.

As an aside, there are only two flying examples of B-29's (or the later mod., the B-50) in flyable condition: one is the Fifi, the other is Doc. For the sentimental among us, there is a fantastic instance where Gen. Paul Tibbits Jr. ( the man who flew the Enola Gay and piloted the first atomic weapon to be used to Hiroshima) flying 'Fifi', with the aircraft being co- piloted by the current commander of the 509th bomber group, Air Force Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV (yep, his grandson).

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article30103137.html

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3109 on: May 04, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
The B/RB-36 also had that crawl-way.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3110 on: May 05, 2018, 12:19:36 AM »
I initially thought that was going to be a UK school given the link but then I remembered :)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5688029/School-superintendent-revealed-high-schools-mystery-pooper.html?mrn_rm=rta-fallback

You cannot make this stuff up.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3111 on: May 05, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
And just to expand on one amazing facet of the B-29:

Of course one of the huge problems, never fully solved, was to find engines powerful enough to power such a large plane, at high altitudes, at high speeds.

More engines would be the obvious answer but for each engine added to an aircraft (or ship for that matter), the efficiency drops considerably. So four engines was really the practical limit in WWII. Today, the largest Boeings used by US air carriers (passenger service) actually have two engines, all to increase efficiency (Boeing 777).

Technology at that time allowed 2,000 HP from an aircraft engine readily enough, and 2,500 HP with a little tweaking and straining. But Boeing was looking for well over 3,000 HP, which was not only not readily available but even when power levels such as that were reached, the engines were unreliable and subject to catastrophic failure, which brought more than one B-29 down.

During the design phase, Boeing actually gave a great deal of consideration to a very unusual, unproven British engine. It was odd in several ways, not the least of which was it was an "H" engine, or a double plane, horizontally opposed engine of two banks of 12 cylinders each, for a total of 24 cylinders. It was also a sleeve valved engine, something that never gained much traction in the US although very common in the UK at that time. In the end, Boeing abandoned the British Napier Sabre engine and instead went with a Wright cyclone engine, a much more conventional air- cooled, dual row, radial engine that was a proven design although not at the power levels Boeing was looking for for the B-29. So they 'stretched its legs' and squeezed more power out of it, finally reaching 3,500 HP but at the same time making the engine temperamental and subject to catching on fire, something that plagued all B-29's during WWII. Meanwhile, the Napier Sabre went on to be used in some of the fastest British (and anywhere in the world) fighters and eventually produce a record holding output nearing 5,000 HP. The head of the B-29 project later stated he was sorry he had not held out and gone with the Napier engines in the first place.

And as a final footnote: eventually the B-29, long after WWII, would be fitted with Pratt and Whitney Wasp Major engines ( four rows of 9 cylinders to make a 28 cylinder engine, truly massive), they never did escape the engine problems that plagued such a high power output device from a conventional piston engine. Eventually gas turbine or 'turbo- props' would solve the problems but true reliability was never reached with US piston engines operating well above the 3,500 HP level.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3112 on: May 06, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »
I don't think Wasp Majors were used on B-29s.   They were used on B-50s which was an upgraded variant of the '29.  Wasp majors were also used on B/RB-36s, C-124's, KC-97s and the XC-99 to name a few other aircraft.  Other than their propensity to catch fire and being a nightmare to maintain, they weren't bad engines.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3113 on: May 06, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Maybe not but I would kinda' lump the B-50 in as a later mod. version of a B-29 anyway. The Wright engine was dropped in the hope that the Pratt would be better (or at least 'less bad' I guess) but in the end, that did not really work out. I thought that came during the run of B-29's but it may have ended up only being used in B-50's.

As far as the engines being good other than catching on fire and being a nightmare to maintain (as well as start), that is kinda' like saying a corpse is in pretty good shape other than being dead IMO.  ;)  The underlying problem that was never solved was that we were just asking too much from a piston engine with a critical weight restraint. Like the old story about 'good, fast and cheap', where you have to pick two 'cause you ain't gettin' all three (and in truth, you then have  to pick the one you really need 'cause you ain't gettin' two either), they chose power and the other two suffered badly.

I still  think they should have tried the Napier engine. It too was unreliable and very problematic but eventually, most or even all of the wrinkles were ironed out and it became quite reliable and robust while producing upwards of 5,000 HP. I think if a major American manufacturer had taken on the engine, under license, the improvements would have come faster simply because of far greater resources available in the US as compared with the UK at that time. Of course I am partial to sleeve valved engines and actually did my thesis on them, actually various I.C. engine valving designs but in the end, only poppet and sleeve valves have ever been used with great success.

Brian

I don't think Wasp Majors were used on B-29s.   They were used on B-50s which was an upgraded variant of the '29.  Wasp majors were also used on B/RB-36s, C-124's, KC-97s and the XC-99 to name a few other aircraft.  Other than their propensity to catch fire and being a nightmare to maintain, they weren't bad engines.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3114 on: May 06, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
My wife and I were food shopping today WHEN SUDDENLY a woman on my left pulled a U- turn and crashed into me. On my left side, where the broken bones are. Fortunately, I am wearing a hard cast so it all just bounced off with no harm done. But it got me to thinking.... maybe we have been doing it wrong all these years, waiting for a bone to break before putting the cast on it? If I had been wearing the cast when I fell down the stairs, odds are extremely high that I would NOT have broken those bones in first place. Which got me thinking about the entire medical community and how they treat medical problems, which is ALWAYS after there is already a significant, and all too often, nonredeemable problem existing. For example, removing infected tonsils.... why wait for the infection? How about lung cancer- would it not be better to just remove a lobe or even an entire lung BEFORE the tumor starts?

I am going to the orthopedist this Tues. and I am going to ask about 'preventative casts' and see what he thinks of it. While there, I am going to check on various surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation PRE- treatments. I honestly think I just may be able to avoid future uterine cancer entirely by using one or more of the treatments mentioned above before I have any symptoms and long before I am diagnosed.

I have given this a fair amount of thought and the logic seems flawless.

Brian

Disclaimer needed because it is 2018: I am not making fun of anyone or any medical condition other than perhaps my own broken wrist. The above is meant to be humorous and even if you, gentle reader, do not find it to be so, it was still free and no offense was or is intended.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3115 on: May 06, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
My wife and I were food shopping today...
;D
Do you consider elderberry wine to be food?...'cause I think that just might be what you came home with. Judging by the difference between the two previous posts. It might also explain why you are wearing a cast in the first place?  ;D  ???

Disclaimer needed because it is 2018: I am not making fun of anyone or any medical condition.. The above is meant to be humorous and even if you, gentle reader, do not find it to be so, it was still free and no offense was or is intended. We should probably all put this in our signature line.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3116 on: May 06, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
Your link is not showing up.... maybe you should put a cast on that?

Brian

;D
Do you consider elderberry wine to be food?...'cause I think that just might be what you came home with. Judging by the difference between the two previous posts. It might also explain why you are wearing a cast in the first place?  ;D  ???

Disclaimer needed because it is 2018: I am not making fun of anyone or any medical condition.. The above is meant to be humorous and even if you, gentle reader, do not find it to be so, it was still free and no offense was or is intended. We should probably all put this in our signature line.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3117 on: May 06, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
A few days ago, I got a request as to how much shipping to Ireland would cost. I used a postal calculator, put in the gentleman's address and the least expensive way was $6 or $7, so that is what I told him the price would be (I do not mark up shipping costs). So he orders product and I went to ship it to him, using the inexpensive method only to have USPS reject my shipping request because I had not filled out the custom's form correctly. ?? After several tries, I finally used the least expensive method that would actually work for about twice the price. What is up with that? Maybe the USPS has found a way of making up some of that forty six billion dollar shortfall using the 'Nigerian Prince' method?

???

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3118 on: May 06, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
I have found that in shipping anything through the USPS, they always go with the most expensive option.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3119 on: May 06, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
I finally used the least expensive method that would actually work for about twice the price. What is up with that?

Some say it's all Amazon's fault.  :)