Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 679084 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3120 on: May 07, 2018, 04:28:06 AM »
My wife and I were food shopping today WHEN SUDDENLY a woman on my left pulled a U- turn and crashed into me. On my left side, where the broken bones are. Fortunately, I am wearing a hard cast so it all just bounced off with no harm done. But it got me to thinking.... maybe we have been doing it wrong all these years, waiting for a bone to break before putting the cast on it? If I had been wearing the cast when I fell down the stairs, odds are extremely high that I would NOT have broken those bones in first place. Which got me thinking about the entire medical community and how they treat medical problems, which is ALWAYS after there is already a significant, and all too often, nonredeemable problem existing. For example, removing infected tonsils.... why wait for the infection? How about lung cancer- would it not be better to just remove a lobe or even an entire lung BEFORE the tumor starts?

I am going to the orthopedist this Tues. and I am going to ask about 'preventative casts' and see what he thinks of it. While there, I am going to check on various surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation PRE- treatments. I honestly think I just may be able to avoid future uterine cancer entirely by using one or more of the treatments mentioned above before I have any symptoms and long before I am diagnosed.

I have given this a fair amount of thought and the logic seems flawless.

Brian

Disclaimer needed because it is 2018: I am not making fun of anyone or any medical condition other than perhaps my own broken wrist. The above is meant to be humorous and even if you, gentle reader, do not find it to be so, it was still free and no offense was or is intended.

You broke your arm falling down the stairs? I must have missed that, did you post about it on this forum? I'm sorry to hear about your mishap Brian! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3121 on: May 07, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
Thanks for the sympathies Conrad. My son reacted by sending me this shirt.....

Broke a small bone in my wrist but apparently it is more important than I would have thought. Surgeon put a screw in it (Boys!) and I got a 'bone stimulator' (Easy Boys!) to <perhaps> help it heal. Not a big deal but slowing me down on the house a bit.

Brian

You broke your arm falling down the stairs? I must have missed that, did you post about it on this forum? I'm sorry to hear about your mishap Brian!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #3122 on: May 07, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
Those "stairs" look pretty steep. Almost a ladder.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3123 on: May 07, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
9" run by 8 1/8" rise (rough). The top tread will end up being 10" when finished. So yeah, they are at the limit of code for stairs. But I am grandfathered and more important, there is just no room downstairs to move or alter the stairwell. The one truly 'unfixable' part of this project: I cut the second floor off of a 24' X 30' house and re-built it as a 24' X 40' second floor but could NOT change the floorplan from the stairs to the south end of the house. So all the extra room went into the MBedroom and associated rooms but the two 'spare' bedrooms in front are relatively small at just under 12' X 12' each. I would have had to destroy the first floor also to move the stairs or even alter them substantially and that was just not possible.

If you think they look steep looking up, you should see them whizzing past while going down (Easy Boys!, although it does lead in nicely to my 'bone stimulator' story).

Brian

Those "stairs" look pretty steep. Almost a ladder.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3124 on: May 07, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
but could NOT change the floorplan from the stairs to the south end of the house. So all the extra room went into the MBedroom and associated rooms but the two 'spare' bedrooms in front are relatively small at just under 12' X 12' each.

I have a similar situation in my house, a 50's ranch.  There is a 25% extension that goes across the back of the house, so it gained more area in the great room (since the kitchen moved back) a quasi dining room (eat-in kitchen), a large kitchen, doubled the master bathroom, and the master bedroom also doubled in size plus gained a walk-in closet.

But the front two bedrooms are still their original, tiny, 1950's size.  But it works out OK (I live alone), since one is just a storage/tool/electronics repair room; and the other is the spare bedroom/exercise/sewing room (twin bed, desk).  Ha- exercise, yeah, right.  There is a treadmill and some free weights.  I do look at them occasionally...

What I really wish was that I had a three car garage instead of a one car garage.  But extending any part of the house is impossible on the lot.  It is what it is!  After 25 years, I guess I am used to it.  I put a hell of a lot of work into this place and learned just about every trade doing it (framing, drywall, painting, electrical, plumping, HVAC, tilework, floor repair, cabinetry, finish carpentry, blah).  Now am I permanently worn out.  Nice to see you still have energy to be productive :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3125 on: May 12, 2018, 02:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the sympathies Conrad. My son reacted by sending me this shirt.....

Broke a small bone in my wrist but apparently it is more important than I would have thought. Surgeon put a screw in it (Boys!) and I got a 'bone stimulator' (Easy Boys!) to <perhaps> help it heal. Not a big deal but slowing me down on the house a bit.

Brian

Assuming that is you, Brian, (and I have no option but to believe that), I find it amazing that you can type your *ss off with a cast on your arm. :-)

I had a boxer's fracture on my right arm many years ago with the requisite cast (looked much like yours) and I well remember the difficulty in showering and other stuff associated with a severely right-handed person that I am.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3126 on: May 12, 2018, 05:18:14 AM »
a short while ago I mentioned that I was (to some peoples amusement at the phrase) moving house.

Well both my house and my girlfriends house are both sold subject to contract and we have an offer in on a new home for the 2 of s plus dogs & gails mum (well I say new, it was built in 1824).

Just waiting for all the solicitors. conveyancers, surveyors, mortgage brokers etc to get everything in place to complete the sales and then we can get moved, packing has started :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3127 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:12 AM »
Luck on the move. Is 1.5% mortgage typical?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3128 on: May 12, 2018, 05:39:17 AM »
Luck on the move. Is 1.5% mortgage typical?

No idea why the estimator defaults to that, it’s more like between 2.5 & 3% depending on amount /term etc
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3129 on: May 12, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Excellent, congrats to both of you folks, Mike!

Interesting house- lots of very modern facets (at least by US standards) mixed in with an older home. Looks great in the photos. Best of luck with the sale, the move and then it being your home. Hope Winston likes it :-)

Brian

a short while ago I mentioned that I was (to some peoples amusement at the phrase) moving house.

Well both my house and my girlfriends house are both sold subject to contract and we have an offer in on a new home for the 2 of s plus dogs & gails mum (well I say new, it was built in 1824).

Just waiting for all the solicitors. conveyancers, surveyors, mortgage brokers etc to get everything in place to complete the sales and then we can get moved, packing has started :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3130 on: May 12, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
Yep, me and the no good, semi- automatic, large capacity stairs that 'bit' me!  ;D

My fingers are totally free from the cast, and have full articulation so typing is not bad other than when I need my left thumb, which is just about never really. Fortunately, it is my left wrist that is broken and I am (strongly) right- handed, so that is about one - gazillion times better than breaking my dominant wrist. Still, even with my fingers and 3/4 of my thumb available, it is frankly amazing what I either cannot do or have huge difficulty doing; eating for example, I have to slide the fork up and under the cast and hold it with fingers only to cut meat. And I cannot chop onions or anything like that. Also I cannot pick up virtually any weight with the left paw unless it is straight up (like a shopping bag) so even moving large pots of water on the stove is impossible.

Funny story: I learned to type when I got my first computer, an Atari 800 (now in museums next to dinosaur bones). I grabbed a piece of typing software (Mavis Becon I think?) but did not have the documentation and so just went at it. Couple of odd things came out of it: "my" home keys are not the real home keys (mine are G and H). I hold my hands curved over the keyboard with all fingers but the first two on the top row of letters. And because I had absolutely no idea when to stop (yep, there is a sex- joke in there) I just kept going on and on in my usual intense way until I could consistently do over 100 WPM, and often 130+. I had no idea that 45 WPM was more like it and 65 was 'fast'. Now my speed is down considerably but still nothing like a 'hunt 'n peck' typist.
Oh, and I did myself a HUGE favor because I came w/in a whisper of learning to type of a Dvorak keyboard. I thought that in the future, if this computer thing caught on, they would most likely be QWERTY keyboards and I might just shoot myself in the foot learning how to use a Dvorak. Glad I did that now because Dvorak keyboards are either rare or non- existent and while the keys could be re-mapped (I do not look at the keyboard when I type anyway), every keyboard on the planet other than mine would be QWERTY.

Brian

Assuming that is you, Brian, (and I have no option but to believe that), I find it amazing that you can type your *ss off with a cast on your arm. :-)

I had a boxer's fracture on my right arm many years ago with the requisite cast (looked much like yours) and I well remember the difficulty in showering and other stuff associated with a severely right-handed person that I am.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3131 on: May 12, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
we do plan on refreshing the kitchen with integrated white goods, a range style cooker and possibly a small island :)

Mustn't forget Amber , Gails dog:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekDKtkYPQU

Excellent, congrats to both of you folks, Mike!

Interesting house- lots of very modern facets (at least by US standards) mixed in with an older home. Looks great in the photos. Best of luck with the sale, the move and then it being your home. Hope Winston likes it :-)

Brian
--

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3132 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
we do plan on refreshing the kitchen with integrated white goods, a range style cooker and possibly a small island :)

Mustn't forget Amber , Gails dog:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekDKtkYPQU
That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a washing machine in the kitchen!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:50:07 PM by Rubber_Snake »
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3133 on: May 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a washing machine in the kitchen!

It does look odd, but is apparently pretty common in Europe.  But keep looking to try and find the dryer...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3134 on: May 12, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
Those are easy to find- they are the long, narrow slats that one drapes the wet clothes over..... Clothes driers are rare in Europe and I assume this is true of the UK also (yes, I know the UK is part of Europe but it is.... a different part where the mainland European 'rules and methods' often do not apply).

Brian

It does look odd, but is apparently pretty common in Europe.  But keep looking to try and find the dryer...

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3135 on: May 13, 2018, 12:04:03 AM »
Clothes (or tumble as they are commonly called) dyiers are commonplace.

Many are combined in the same machine as the washer itself and use a condensing system so no tubing required to vent them.

That said there is something just nice about clothes that have been dried naturally in the sun and breeze on a good old fashioned washing line
Those are easy to find- they are the long, narrow slats that one drapes the wet clothes over..... Clothes driers are rare in Europe and I assume this is true of the UK also (yes, I know the UK is part of Europe but it is.... a different part where the mainland European 'rules and methods' often do not apply).

Brian
--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3136 on: May 13, 2018, 05:29:00 AM »
Clothes (or tumble as they are commonly called) dyiers are commonplace.

Many are combined in the same machine as the washer itself and use a condensing system so no tubing required to vent them.

That said there is something just nice about clothes that have been dried naturally in the sun and breeze on a good old fashioned washing line

As long as the local birds don't use the clean clothes for 'target practice'.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3137 on: May 13, 2018, 06:12:53 AM »
Clothes (or tumble as they are commonly called) dryers are commonplace. Many are combined in the same machine as the washer itself and use a condensing system so no tubing required to vent them.

That is pretty neat.  I think I have only seen one "all in one" machine before.  Good for saving space, but doubles the time to do laundry.

Eeew.  Towels that are rough and crispy.  Colors faded from UV.  Clothes full of pollen allergens.  Clothesline marks.  Bird mess.  Squirrels running across.  Humidity.

I'll take a dryer :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3138 on: May 13, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
Our first home in South Carolina had the washer/dryer in the kitchen.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3139 on: May 13, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
That is pretty neat.  I think I have only seen one "all in one" machine before.  Good for saving space, but doubles the time to do laundry.

Only if you have a second load to do whilst the first load is drying ;)
--