Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672957 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3140 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Only if you have a second load to do whilst the first load is drying ;)

Very true.  But I suspect most or at least many of us do....
Speaking of which, I am washing three loads this morning.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3141 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
Try to keep up , max.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3142 on: May 13, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »
I finally found it..... the reason for the 'face-palm' emoticon. We do not seem to have one around here, which is rather amazing IMO. Anyway, it is used a lot and often fits pretty well but I finally found the absolutely ideal, perfect 'thing' for that emoticon.....

https://www.facebook.com/lchaithesis/videos/364837930674880/

What makes it so special is that this happened at Cornell, not Springfield Community College (on the Simpsons) during a night class. Oh no, this happened at a REAL school and as it appears to be a dissertation, it means that this person is a graduate student, having already received a Bachelor's degree and gone on with at least another 1 1/2 years of formal education.

Yep, these are certainly the people I want tinkering around and 'improving' my Constitution. (the next word suggested by my spell- checker after 'constitution' was 'constipation', and I had to think about that for a moment as to which one applied best)

Brian (who is typing this while wearing clothes)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3143 on: May 14, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
I finally found it..... the reason for the 'face-palm' emoticon. We do not seem to have one around here, which is rather amazing IMO. Anyway, it is used a lot and often fits pretty well but I finally found the absolutely ideal, perfect 'thing' for that emoticon.....

https://www.facebook.com/lchaithesis/videos/364837930674880/

What makes it so special is that this happened at Cornell, not Springfield Community College (on the Simpsons) during a night class. Oh no, this happened at a REAL school and as it appears to be a dissertation, it means that this person is a graduate student, having already received a Bachelor's degree and gone on with at least another 1 1/2 years of formal education.

Yep, these are certainly the people I want tinkering around and 'improving' my Constitution. (the next word suggested by my spell- checker after 'constitution' was 'constipation', and I had to think about that for a moment as to which one applied best)

Brian (who is typing this while wearing clothes)

Sorry, couldn't get past the 2 minute mark.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3144 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
It was painful to watch.

1.  Because she’s a terrible speaker.
2.  Because stripping down to her underwear didn’t help, it was just sad. 

:_shudder_Emoticon
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3145 on: May 14, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
That was my point- sad, miss- directed, a foolish response, not much of a point about others criticizing any person's clothing. I think I understand her motivation, I just do not agree that what she did was an effective way to respond. In fact, I think the best response would either be 1) no response, or 2) a quiet (i.e., NOT FaceTwit!!!!!) but firm statement, probably best in writing, to the president of the University.... with all her clothes on.

Some of these newer 'responses' to perceived or perhaps even real insults are strange and again, IMO, not nearly as effective as they could be. I am speaking generally here; no doubt in cases such as Harvey Weinstein, someone had to run the proverbial flag way, way up the flagpole at personal embarrassment, personal criticism and attacks, and very likely damage or even outright loss of the whistle-blower's livelihood.

Makes me wonder if the same person had a stranger visit her domicile and commented on it being too cold there if this woman would set herself on fire to 'teach him a lesson'?

Brian

edited to add words to make the last sentence make sense. :-(

It was painful to watch.

1.  Because she’s a terrible speaker.
2.  Because stripping down to her underwear didn’t help, it was just sad. 

:_shudder_Emoticon
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:50:35 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3146 on: May 14, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Jump forward to 2:45 and watch.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3147 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
Jump forward to 2:45 and watch.

Brian

That poor human being has issues. I suspect primarily caused by disinformation poison disguised as education.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:46:35 PM by Rhino »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3148 on: May 14, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

Me neither.  I zoomed to see her undress and then aborted.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3149 on: May 15, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
I just read more about this video. Apparently she was presenting her senior thesis at Cornell University. I looked it up and on average, Cornell costs $67,000/year or $280,000 for a 4 year degree. I think she should demand her money back as they obviously didn't teach her anything of value.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:48:41 PM by Rhino »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3150 on: May 15, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
Me neither.  I zoomed to see her undress and then aborted.

Wow you all missed the pole dance and group thing at the end.  :banana :banana :banana

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3151 on: May 15, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
I have absolutely no knowledge about this but she specifically mentioned her relative staying up late in Korea to watch that..... well, whatever it was. So my suspicion is that her Cornell University education did not cost her anywhere near full tuition, if anything at all. But she certainly found out how to gain attention and notoriety, regardless of whether those qualities were positive or negative in her case.

Top US universities have a large number of students, especially grad students, attending the school tuition- free (usually all expenses paid). This is these school's method of 'reaching out' and trying to level the playing field. Actually I think it is a noble concept but in actual practice, if often ends up with people artificially "empowered" to behave any way they want, which is often odd and sometimes badly.

I went to school with an unusually high number of Indian nationals in the physics and engineering colleges of the school I attended. They were quiet, reserved, very much retiring people who worked and studied hard. They were overall excellent students and also very nice, humble people. Their English skills were often lacking but I found it more than worth the effort required to communicate with these people and frankly would rather spend time with many of them than some of the Americans I went to school with.

And for whatever it is worth, I did not find my area of he University to be left- leaning and most certainly not liberal in any way, stretch or form. Then again, I was on the 'hard scienses' part of the campus and so really cannot comment on the institution as a whole. But trust me, engineers tend to be conservative. Please note that this woman's thesis was in 'humanities'..... of course.  ::)

Brian

I just read more about this video. Apparently she was presenting here senior thesis at Cornell University. I looked it up and on average, Cornell costs $67,000/year or $280,000 for a 4 year degree. I think she should demand her money back as they obviously didn't teach her anything or value.

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #3152 on: May 15, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
It's incredible that feminism has evolved into women being half-naked and promiscuous.  Yeah, that'll really stick it to the men.
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3153 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:10 AM »
Due to the nature of my job I work a lot with the  "offshore" guys in the various Indian offices over in Mumbai (which is where a lot of the chaps you're referring too probably end up) or when they come over here on "secondment"

They are usally very well educated but depending on their job role many of them are "stifled" by their companies working practices which is a real pity as If you get them in a one to one then they can be most helpful.

It's also noticeable that over the last 15 years there has been a huge increase in the number of (Indian) women  in good roles in these offshore companies

BTW did they go out frequently to play cricket , most of them are obsessed by it:)

I went to school with an unusually high number of Indian nationals in the physics and engineering colleges of the school I attended. They were quiet, reserved, very much retiring people who worked and studied hard. They were overall excellent students and also very nice, humble people. Their English skills were often lacking but I found it more than worth the effort required to communicate with these people and frankly would rather spend time with many of them than some of the Americans I went to school with.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3154 on: May 17, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
OK, to get this thread back off- topic, where it belongs:

The Taj Mahal is one of the most famous buildings in the world, and is visited by an estimated 7 to 8 million people every year. Originally built by Shah Jahan to entomb his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Construction started in 1635 and continued through 1653, at a cost of approx. $827 million dollars (2015 dollar value). A beautiful series of buildings, sitting on 17 acres of land, it is one of the leading tourist attractions in the world today.

There is a common story that the Shaw built this mausoleum in white but planned an identical tomb to be built in all black marble for himself. As the story goes, he died before construction on that next tomb was even started but in truth, no further tombs were planned, and both Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal are entombed in the Taj Mahal.

As a useless piece of trivia, the largest burial tomb in the US is Grant National Memorial, commonly known as Grant's tomb, located just about mid- Manhattan in NYC, NY, USA. Grant was entombed there 12 years after he died, on April 17, 1897, with his wife Julia being interred beside him several years later when she too passed away.

Which also yields the correct answer to the oft- asked question: Who is buried in Grant's tomb? The correct answer being both Ulysses AND Julia (Dent) Grant.

Brian

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3155 on: May 17, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »

The Taj Mahal is one of the most famous buildings in the world, and is visited by an estimated 7 to 8 million people every year. Originally built by Shah Jahan to entomb his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Construction started in 1635 and continued through 1653, at a cost of approx. $827 million dollars (2015 dollar value). A beautiful series of buildings, sitting on 17 acres of land, it is one of the leading tourist attractions in the world today.

There is a common story that the Shaw built this mausoleum in white but planned an identical tomb to be built in all black marble for himself. As the story goes, he died before construction on that next tomb was even started but in truth, no further tombs were planned, and both Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal are entombed in the Taj Mahal.

As a useless piece of trivia, the largest burial tomb in the US is Grant National Memorial, commonly known as Grant's tomb, located just about mid- Manhattan in NYC, NY, USA. Grant was entombed there 12 years after he died, on April 17, 1897, with his wife Julia being interred beside him several years later when she too passed away.

Which also yields the correct answer to the oft- asked question: Who is buried in Grant's tomb? The correct answer being both Ulysses AND Julia (Dent) Grant.

Brian

So... What is grown on Grant's farm?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3156 on: May 17, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Speaking of the Taj Mahal ... I've been renovating an almost-lost-cause barn for over 5 months now, and it's taking so long I'm starting to get questions about why. I decided today I'm going to start responding that I'm building the Taj Mah-barn.

I'm really starting to think this would've gone waaay faster/better/cheaper/smoother had the rotting version been knocked down and start from scratch. Determining what all is rotten, how rotten is too rotten, spending the time removing said rotten, then replacing with new ... it takes a loooot more time than I would've thought ... and I've constructed quite a few things in my time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3157 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3158 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »
If you're married it could become... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098621/

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3159 on: May 18, 2018, 06:13:56 AM »

Brian

I was at the Taj Mahal 5 or 6 years ago. Some more trivia, the 4 pillars around the building slightly lean away from the building so that in the case of an earthquake they would fall away from the building.